Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Misc > Off-Topic

Old 01-24-2008, 11:32 PM

Default Parts Interchange Ford Mustang ?

I have a 1991 Mustang 5.0 donor car and would like to know the suspension parts that interchange with a 1995 . K member ,steering etc. Can anyone help? Paul Meier DeKalb Il. or 815 748 4228 cst. if you wish.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:55 AM

I'm 90% sure that the K-Member will interchange...not sure about the steering.

Robert "B.J." Johns,
OK Region
Old 01-25-2008, 11:05 AM

Thumbs up

Paul,fox body and SN95 parts will interchange but the SN95 stuff has a
wider track and the K-member has better geometry.Putting SN95 part on a fox is a great idea,putting fox stuff on a SN95,not so good.Also the steering
racks have the same problem.
Andy
Old 01-25-2008, 11:09 AM

You can install an SN95 rack into a Fox, but you will have to change the inner tie rods because the SN95 ones are longer and have metric threads for the outer tie rods. Ford did not change the thread on the end of the inner rack, so the tie rod assemblies are interchangeable. I have an SN95 rack in my 84 Mustang with Fox inner tie rods. You could also cut the SN95 inners short, but it's much easier to convert to Fox parts so you can carry spares you don't need to modify. You will also need to adapt the steering shaft, because the coupler patterns are different on the rack. There are aftermarket parts that make this easy from Maximum Motorsports, but I'm not sure if that part is legal in AS. If not, you would need to cut and weld. The power steering pump and fittings fit onto the newer rack. I'm still running my car's original PS pump, although it just started leaking at the end of last season, so it's probably time to R&R that!

The longer SN95 A arms are also interchangeable, but I don't think that is a legal interchange in AS. Too bad, because it's the easiest way to get a ton of negative camber on a Fox. You can make an SN95 K-member fit in a Fox for certain. You may have to slot some holes, but the basic dimensions are the same. Most of the aftermarket K members fit 79-95.

My car, which I run in NASA CMC, has a stock K-member, but everything else in the steering and suspension (spindles, brakes, vacuum booster, rack, struts, A-arms, and balljoints) is from an SN95.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:13 PM

As far as racing in AS, nothing from the 94-95 is legal on the 79-93. You can't update/backdate, they are on different spec lines. This includes the rack and tie rod ends, although now tie rod ends are free I think. Definately a no-no on the KMember and control arms. This has been checked for on many nationals that are well subscribed.

With the new column rule, the steering coupler is legal.

Kyle