Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Main American Sedan Categories > American Sedan Race Results

Old 09-21-2018, 03:25 PM

Default Congratulations, Majors champs

Northern Conference - Andy McDermid
North East - Danny Richardson
West - Michael Thompson
Mid States - wheel
South East - Thomas Ellis
Southern - Tom Himes

Participation numbers puts ASedan 4.2, which is safely in the green for the future It would have been higher if Midiv had not suffered some crashes and mechanical issues which brought our typical five or six car fields way down at the end of the season. Participation did not drop because of lack of motivation in our Conference. See some of you at Sears Point.
Old 09-26-2018, 07:28 PM

Jim, I echo your congratulations to the winners - well done! Good luck to everyone competing in the Runoffs!

I do have to challenge the comment on participation, however. We are "safe" for 2019, but 2019 participation will need to increase significantly to retain status going into 2020. As these are 2 year participation numbers, our class benefits from the higher 2017 participation - and very high Indy runoffs entries - to help the average.

In 2017, total AS entries were 152 in majors, 30 at the Runoffs for a total of 182 entries.

This year, 114 in majors (1 less race), and 12 registered for the Runoffs. Assuming this is the final number, a total of 126 entries. This is a drop off of just over 30%. Based on 2018, and making the following assumptions, the following will be necessary in 2019:

280 total entries required over 2 years (assumes 34 Majors races next year as well)

2018 total of 126 entries results in required total entries for 2019 of 154.

Assume 20 cars at VIR Runoffs (this is likely conservative)

That leaves a requirement for 134 entries in Majors races in 2019, or 20 more than we had in 2018. This means we need to find 4-5 more people to race AS and run a relatively full season. To be safe, one more driver per conference.

So, what's the plan for finding that "one more driver"? I sent suggestions in via the WDYT, and I know that Tom Himes did as well. Anyone else?

I have finally gotten my car running reliably, though still not particularly fast, so expect to run more in 2019 than recent years, but that will likely be 4 weekends instead of 2. Since we lost TWS, there are many fewer events in the South.

In writing all of this up, my goal is only to present the facts. No intention to cast aspersions or cause any heartburn. I believe it is the goal of everyone here to grow the class, so let's hear the ideas to do so.

Mike
Old 09-26-2018, 08:30 PM

My math shows the AS participation ave per event in 2018 will be 3.6. Well below the 4.0 cutoff.

This might be because the RO's are on the West Coast for 2018.

We will need to ave 4.4 in 2019 to get our 2 year ave to 4.0.

With the 2019 RO's at VIR, hopefully we can get our numbers back to close what they were in 2017.

I'm not sure a number below 4.0 is a death sentence as it seems the Club has a lot of leeway on RO's class invites. Jim, may be you can comment on this.

Tom H
Old 09-27-2018, 09:49 AM

The 4.0 is not a death sentence, far from it. It was published to give SCCA a transparent method to restrict classes, should the Runoffs be held at a track where that was necessary. Certainly, Road America in 2020 is not going to be a problem. I expect VIR and RA to be popular with the ASedan base and should result in a lot more entries over the next couple of seasons. That is not to say that we don't want more. Also, look for some changes in the Majors over the next couple of seasons. Not sure where it will go, but there are discussions going on about how the Majors have hurt divisional programs in some areas. Some are calling for a return to divisional racing, for lower entry fees and less travel distance. Stay tuned.
Mike, You should consider coming to Hallett next season. Not sure how long a tow it is for you, but it is a great track.
Old 09-27-2018, 01:23 PM

Jim, I'll certainly give some thought to Hallet. I've never been there, and I'm sort of working on a "race track bucket list", so maybe I should add this one! Do you have any idea of date?
Old 09-27-2018, 02:28 PM

It is my favorite track, and I have run a lot of them. Kevin Fandozzi came down from Detroit this year and not only enjoyed it, broke the track record. Usually it is the first race in Midiv. This year it was the April 7/8 Super Tour/Majors. We had six ASedans.
Old 09-28-2018, 05:22 PM

FWIW.
I know of at least 5 east coast drivers that have either taken the year off or run 1 event due to the west coast runoffs. I also know of a few regional east coasters moving to majors for vir next year. As long as these wdyt ,which I sent a response in as well, yeild the correct leadership response in the rules we should have the best year in a while 2019.

See you all at sonoma!
Old 09-28-2018, 05:51 PM

I agree with Danny. Although I understand moving the Runoffs around, the west coast Runoffs always kill off the ASedan numbers. I think Kim McDonald is the furthest west ASedan racer who runs lots of races every year, and he is in Grand Island, NE, not much further west than Kansas City. I think an east coast Runoffs, followed by Road America, should really pump up our numbers.