Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Main American Sedan Categories > American Sedan Technical

Old 08-15-2020, 03:44 PM

Default Tires

This tire list looks incredibly familiar to me, mostly because back in the day, I did the research for the former list... As a heads up, at this point, I just checked with Tire Rack and THE ONLY SIZE made by Kumho of the Ecsta V700 is 215/40-17 (which no one will use). The ASAC may wish to check on the rest of the list to determine sizes available for AS cars on that list.

Pam
Old 08-16-2020, 12:29 PM

There goes the neighborhood. Don't kid yourselves that the R1s aren't as fast as an A7. They aren't as comfortable to drive, but they are just as quick. We ran them for years (up until 15) on Touring and ST class cars. As late as 2018 we won with R1s in Bspec. The R1s is now the tire to have in AS.
Old 08-16-2020, 03:54 PM

If BFG's are so great why is it that almost no one uses them in AS? They have been a legal tire to use in AS for years.
Old 08-17-2020, 10:06 AM

Why do they always wait until the end of the season to make this rule change? If they announced it earlier it would be much easier to plan for. Otherwise they end up with the allow the soft compound tires for x number of races in the following year. That has always been my only complaint, the implementation.
Old 08-17-2020, 03:26 PM

Tim,
I agree. We tried to do a tire rule when I was still on the CRB. It took forever and then the new BoD knocked it down for B.S. reasons. This ought to be for 2022, so we can use all our current stuff and also run some R compound in regional races, etc. for testing.
wheel

comments to:

www.crbscca.com
Old 08-20-2020, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PbFoot View Post
If BFG's are so great why is it that almost no one uses them in AS? They have been a legal tire to use in AS for years.
When you are at Laguna in a 500rwhp Mustang and your driver decides to try the A7s for the first time and his response after just 6 corners is "Where the hell have these been all my life" you switch. The A7s weren't faster, just a whole lot more comfortable to drive on the edge...

Honda has won many Nat Championships with the BFGs. BFG quit giving out contingency a couple of years ago. I would assume if you have an option of 2 equal tires but one will pay you to win you will go with option Hoosier...
Old 08-24-2020, 11:12 PM

Default Spec Tire Support

I support the SCCA in mandating a R-type tire for 2021. At Waterford Hills Racetrack in Clarkston, MI, we implemented the SCCA rule proposal for 2020. We now require R-type tires and have already seen our racing costs come down. Much less shoulder wear and many more heat cycles. We basically took the SCCA language and wrote a supplemental rule endorsed by 17 active AS racers. We hope SCCA follows our lead. We plan to have 18 AS cars racing this weekend, Aug 29-30. The Big Bore Bash sponsored by Hawk Brakes. Come join us. www.waterfordhills.com
Old 08-25-2020, 05:07 AM

I too feel like that is an old list. Yoko hasn't made that tire in a long time, Toyo 888 should be the 888R, and Hankook hasn't sold those tire in awhile.
In my experience, the BFG is harder to come by and the few Tire Rack has in stock are usually 1-2 years old. Maybe there's a better source for em but I don't know who.
As far as cheaper, the top guys will probably still buy new sets for the big races, and might tempt some others to do the same.
The rule change is fine by me, though as I use the R's already