Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Main American Sedan Categories > American Sedan Rules

Old 10-12-2009, 05:41 PM
Dawson Motorsports

Off season, what's that? Oh, now I remember, December, wait, PRI show and prep for January 1, 2010.
Chuck
Old 10-12-2009, 05:44 PM

Also, how are you going to race on a road course with stock floats. Ain't gonna work. When I discovered road racing floats, the whole racing experience became much more pleasant, instantly. Besides, tuning the carb is part of the fun.
wheel
Old 10-12-2009, 06:35 PM
fairlane_68

I like the idea of running the carb out of the box. I really do. But, like wheel said, tuning the carb is part of the fun, and is becoming a lost art. And the road race floats help alot.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:28 PM

Quote:
I actually think our current carb rules are one of the areas needing the least attention....
Kyle, I thought so too, until a carb that was taken for inspection in '03 and found legal was found illegal in '09 with zero changes in between.

Mark
Old 10-13-2009, 01:00 AM

Hmm, I've been running the same stock 4776 out of the box since 1997. No
road race floats, no power valve changes, ...

It seems to run pretty good on the courses I've been on: Portland, Seattle
Spokane, Thunderhill, Mid-Ohio.

OTOH, at the national level I'm only a mid-packer, so maybe to get
further I need to crank it up some.
1993 Firebird AS #03 Oregon Region SCCA & ICSCC
Old 10-13-2009, 07:00 AM

Fuel starvation in certain corners, with a stumble, was the problem with the stock floats. In a hard, high G corner, the gas would push on the edge of the float and convince it to shut off the fuel supply. Road race floats are wedge shaped, and don't shut the fuel off in the same corner.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:21 AM
PRO SYSTEMS

Default Wow

Kopp said: The carburetor cannot be modified in ANY way except for changing jets - period! Buy a new carb if it's that bad! (Sorry Patrick but I could use the extra $650 I'll save not having to spend $1K on a carb and buy two spares in case my throttle plate shaft gets dirty and I can't seem to clean it out with good old carb clean)

This might be my last hurrah in here, but someone needs to say it: Kopp I have watched you bully folks around this site for a long time. Someone needs to call you out.

I am not sure what I ever did to you Mr. Kopp. But you have been a d$ckhead to me since day one and kind of a d#ck to others as well. I could care less about how you treat me...BUT you sure have a way of treating suppliers like they are enemies and that hurts the sport.

I could never get my picture of my A sedan car on here (you guys requested to EVERYONE to send in pics for the top banner..I did and despite numerous requests, it never was posted).

I can't even buy advertising space here. Not that I would really see a return on investment, it was a courtesy more than anything.

BUT let me tell you about suppliers and how they are not your enemies.

I was at a racetrack awhile back and a guy had a stock 650 on his A sedan car. The carb was not clean in the corners and it had other issues during hard braking and cornering that he was not able to fix...despite changing jets and adjusting the idle mixture screws. The only two things he knew how to do (and the only two things you want legal).

So I swapped out some needed components and drilled a few emulsion channels bleeds out, restricted down the idle feeds, the carb cleaned up and he could enjoy a weekend of racing his car, instead of it flooding out and stalling everytime he hit the brakes and hesitating when he hit the throttle.

Every persons engine and vehicle program will encounter different needs. I can't believe someone with your apparent background could make such an ignorant statement.

Now you want to pass a rule that denies folks the ability to contact people to help them with problems in their program.

You are something, I will be sure pass your interests around to my other contacts in the business so they are aware of how you like to stifle companies and treat them as outsiders that are trying to ruin your class.

We think its great that you can afford to buy a couple of extra carburetors, but some folks send us in USED carbs that they bought at a swap meet that are in just horrible shape to be converted into an A Sedan carb. They buy the carb at a swap meet for $50.00 and for $500.00 they get a top of the line A/Sedan carb. Thats cheaper than your two carb idea. Who runs your budget?

I will tell you one thing Mr. Kopp wait until you get a piece of dirt caught in your baseplate and you need to pull the shafts out and then realize that these rules you are fighting to keep are going to screw you over as NOW you need to buy a new baseplate from Holley for $150.00

Your marketing skills do not impress. Your attitude does nothing to help the class, only hurt it by driving away potential sponsors and companies that have interest in the class. I will be sure to forward your post to my connections at other companies about how you view suppliers to the A/Sedan classes. We are not your enemies.

P#ssed...hell yea I'm p#ssed. Expecting to be banned..h@ll yes and could care less. You should work on becoming more open minded and looking at other peoples worlds and the things they encounter as being different and having different needs than your own, then you would realize how ignorant your statement truly is.

Wow, just wow.

Patrick James
PRO SYSTEMS
Old 10-13-2009, 10:42 AM
as4044

Default Talk about missing the mark

What a shame it is to take a shot at the guy who makes this forum possible. Bully?.......nope. You may know carbs my friend, but that appears to be about it. I hope this is really a big joke and you didn't really call out somebody who bends over backward to help people out. Having bought from him in the past I can vouch for that. Please call all your contacts at those huge companies that make all this possible and run this issue into the ground. We will all greatly admire your actions.

IF i have missed something, somebody other than Prosystems please help me out.

Take care
Ron
Old 10-13-2009, 10:55 AM
Administrator

Patrick, I would rather not work this out with you online. Please call me (I will PM my number) if you truly believe what you have stated. I would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you.

I hope and trust that others here do not agree with Patrick. If so, I would appreciate as many PM's as possible stating so and I will gladly turn the site over to someone else and bow out from all future discussion. All conversations will be STRICTLY confidential. It is possible I have crossed a line that I am not aware of and I do not want to be that person.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:17 AM
Administrator

I just got off the phone with Patrick. Long story short - there has been a bit of a misunderstanding. I believe we are good now.

My notion of allowing "untouched" carbs was really not meant as literally as I conveyed. My point was not well founded. My personal experience with Pro Systems carbs is limited to Wheeler loaning one to me at the 2008 Runoffs which stayed on my car through my only race (MAM) this year. He now has it back. It performed flawlessly and had noticeable improvement in throttle response over my "out-of-the-box" carb.

Back to our regularly scheduled programming...