Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Main American Sedan Categories > American Sedan Technical

Old 07-20-2020, 04:22 PM

Default Tires?

With talk again about changing our tire rules I would like to mention the following.

Don't equate the BFG G Force R1 S with the Hoosier A7. The BFG R1 S is not an autocross tire, but a sprint road race tire. The BFG R1 is an endurance road race tire.

I have run back to back comparisons of the Hoosier R7 and the BFG R1 S and the lap times are almost identical. Tire wear was similar, but for me the BFG R1 S lasts a little longer than the R7. The BFG R1 is slower than the Hoosiers because it is very hard.

If the driving force behind the possible tire rule change is to save money, don't outlaw the R1 S.

Another plug for the BFG's, they are cheaper than the Hoosiers, have a higher max inflation pressure, and I have never had a BFG tire failure. I can't say that about the Hoosiers on multiple occasions.
Old 07-21-2020, 09:33 AM

I don't think BFG makes these tires anymore. They are listed but you can't order them.
Old 07-21-2020, 10:06 AM

According to Tire Rack, BFG is still making these tires and they have our sizes in stock.

It does seem odd though that they don't show up at other tire dealers.
Old 07-21-2020, 12:00 PM

Did you call and ask them to ship you some?
Old 07-21-2020, 12:18 PM

I talked to them today and they said they had tires to ship. I did not order any because of rumors that they may soon illegal in AS.
Old 07-21-2020, 01:07 PM

Why would they be illegal in AS?
Old 07-21-2020, 02:30 PM

This was in the Aug Prelims.
2. #27519 (Daniel Licklider) Spec Tire Request
Thank you for your letter. The American Sedan Adhoc Committee is pursuing a specified list of eligible tires.
Old 07-21-2020, 04:27 PM

I will check it out. I assume it is a reenactment of the R compound rule that was squashed my last meeting with the BoD.

I looked at it. Back in the day, the ASAC recommended a tire rule that, basically, said you couldn't run anything softer than a Hoosier R compound. There were a number of tires listed and the ASAC did extensive research and put out a WDYT and a REC. The BoD passed it, except that there was a problem with when it would be implemented. The regional racers didn't have enough time to use up their A compound tires, as I recall. Anyway, I went back to the BoD with the schedule change, which was all that was in question, and I was ambushed by a couple of new BoD members. One of the tires that was specified was no longer on the Tire Rack web site, in our sizes. Since I was only there to present the schedule change, I did not have any of the tire info with me. Worst day in 9 years as Chairman of the CRB, and I have been through some storms with the ever changing BoD. But that is for another post. Anyway, they dumped the R compound rule, which had been vetted by Pam and the ASAC, beyond anything required. So, now it is back. If you want a "spec" tire, being an R or 200TW, or whatever, write in to www.crbscca.com and tell the ASAC what you think.
I don't recall, off hand, what tires were listed. I could look it up in my 10K CRB emails, but I won't I am sure that many of the offers are no longer available.

Last edited by jimwheeler; 07-21-2020 at 04:41 PM.