Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Misc > Off-Topic

Old 08-08-2006, 04:00 PM
socalta

Default southwest wyoming

Can any yall fellers tell me about Uinta County and or Mountain View Wy? Thinking of leaving SoCal and looking to the Rockies.

gracias fellers

Last edited by socalta; 08-08-2006 at 04:12 PM.
Old 08-08-2006, 04:35 PM

I lived in Cheyenne and went to the University of Wyoming in Laramie. At that time Casper was the biggest city with about 30,000 souls. Cheyenne had 27,500. I had a girlfriend from Green River. That part of the state is very much like Colorado with mountains and pretty scenery. East of there on I-80 are some pretty rough mining, coal and oil towns. Little America is in that area, which was the first big truck stop that was built like a town unto itself out in the middle of nowhere. Pretty cold winters with some snow. Fairly close to Jackson, Wyoming in the NW, but the roads, except the interstate, are not that great in the winter. If you like isolation and mountain living, you would like it there. Ski areas not too far, but everything else is.
Utah is not far away and NW Colorado is pretty close. I did an off-road race in Craig, Colorado as part of the High Desert Racing series, and that pretty much tells you what that part of Colorado is like.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:07 PM
wlfpkrcn

I lived in Laramie for 6 months (June-Dec) when I went to tech school. I HATED IT . Maybe it was because I was a young city boy. I vowed never to go back. Unfortunately I had to go back when my brother went to tech school. I STILL HATE IT. The one place I liked was Boulder Colorado. Boulder was a great town. Like Wheel said you will be in the middle of nowhere. I will say Laramie had the best thunderstorms I have ever seen. Absolutely awesome. If that's what you like go for it. I have seen enough tumble weeds and antelope for a lifetime.

E
Old 08-08-2006, 06:21 PM
socalta

E .. I'm having a little trouble trying to tell how you really feel

thank you both for your input ..
Old 08-08-2006, 06:32 PM
wlfpkrcn

The day I left with the windchill was -50*F. We put a piece of cardboard in front on the radiator to get some heat into the engine. After 400 miles you could lay your hand on the exhaust manifold. The engine never got warm enough to get the rings to expand and seat. We pulled into Truckee the next day. It was 40*F. The guy at the gas station thought we were nuts when we stripped to sweat shirts. As far as I was concerned it was 90* warmer. It got so cold that the moisture in the air would freeze when you opened a door.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:36 PM
socalta

point taken ... good story too ...

Maybe I will try Abq, NM or Santa Fe..
Old 08-08-2006, 09:08 PM
jericker

Jorge, much better choices I might add! All the same stuff as WY but not quite the weather worries. Glad you're coming our way.
Jon
Old 08-08-2006, 09:19 PM
socalta

Jon .. agreed..

We have two acres in Brazos Cliffs... love going there and then heading into lower Colorado or traveling around the countryside. Its just south of Chama and NW/CO bourder....

We always just drive through ABQ and SFe so maybe this next time we will spend a little time there and look around..
Old 08-08-2006, 09:19 PM
socalta

Jon .. agreed..

We have two acres in Brazos Cliffs... love going there and then heading into lower Colorado or traveling around the countryside. Its just south of Chama and NW/CO bourder....

We always just drive through ABQ and SFe so maybe this next time we will spend a little time there and look around..
Old 08-08-2006, 09:51 PM

There is a reason Wyoming has the highest, per capita, rate for alcoholics in the nation. Worst winter I ever spent was July 1964 in Wyoming. It only snows once a winter in Wyoming. The rest of the time the snow blows back and forth between Nebraska and Utah. Attend the Wyoming wind Festival, Jan 1 st. thru Dec. 31st

wheel