Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Main American Sedan Categories > American Sedan Technical

Old 11-23-2019, 11:25 PM

Default 4th gen gas tank warning

The purpose of this post is a HEADS UP regarding a failure we've noted in the 4th gen Camaro/Firebird cars running the stock plastic tank in Restricted Prep. We just converted two ex-T2 4th gens to AS cars and in the process found problems with both of the plastic gas tanks. Apparently the original exhaust was around 3" diameter over the right rear axle where in both cars it was placed against the gas tank (with heat shields removed). When we were replacing the exhaust with axle dump outlets we found that the over the axle exhaust had done serious damage to the tank. Both suffered the same heat deterioration fate. Here are pictures from one. You can see where the exhaust contacted the tank, the melting of the outer layer and the two areas where the black outer layer has crumple away, exposing the pink/orange interior liner. The roughly 4" outer liner where the exhaust transmitted its heat was completely degraded. If you are running a 4th Gen with the stock plastic tank PLEASE CHECK YOUR TANKS for degradation, even if you don't have that type of exhaust on the car. It may well have been on the car in the past, as ours were and the damage went unnoticed. It's well worth your time to check your tank for potential problems. Hmmm, had some trouble loading the pictures. I'll try that part again.

/Users/Guest/Desktop/gas tank two holes.jpg/
Users/Guest/Desktop/gas tank two holes b.jpg
Old 11-24-2019, 12:51 PM

Default photos

https://photos.app.goo.gl/kKu1fhV6ZrhRTbBY9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3ZHEfVFcDgd4JGEV7

notice the huge crack in the outer plastic tank liner! This entire shown area is ready to be picked off with a screwdriver exposing the inner liner of the tank.
Old 11-26-2019, 12:30 PM

I was going to post that AS requires a cell, so any T2 to AS conversions would change these out anyway, but after finding and re reading the section in the GCR that applies, RP cars do not require a fuel cell.

So this is relevant, and good information.

I still think that anyone who runs a car like this without a fuel cell is a fool, and that RP cars should be required to put in a cell, but that's not the rule, and opinions are like anus's in that everyone has one.

I never actually recognized that RP didn't need a cell, even when I was on the Ad Hoc, because mine had a cell when I bought it as a T2 car and I never actually looked.

Scott
Old 11-26-2019, 02:30 PM

Default Fuel cell

I've seen all the reasons behind the stock fuel tank placement in RP 4th gens and feel they are valid, however, that being said, our project this winter before the 2020 races is the installation of a cell. When it comes to safety equipment more is better.
Old 11-26-2019, 08:59 PM

I checked my 4th Gen T4 Camaro. It has the stock heat shields in place and uses the same diameter exhaust as the V8's in the same location. I found burn marks and some degradation, but not as bad. With heat shields in place, damage was not visible.

Dumps like in AS not legal in T4 so guess I'm writing a letter requesting them.