Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Main American Sedan Categories > American Sedan General

Old 09-11-2019, 10:32 PM

Good news. One of the SMGs is signed up for the runoffs. Either the car will show how pathetic they are or I will be eating crow....
Old 09-11-2019, 11:55 PM

Default How do you like your crow cooked?

Hi, Dave,

In order to realistically evaluate the performance of the SMG cars in AS at the Runoffs you'll need to have comparable drivers and car prep to John and Andy, etc.

While Andrew Gardner is a nice guy and a good driver he is not yet at that level. At the Super Tour Races at Laguna Seca on July 27/28 his best time in Race 1 was 1:43.139 and in Race 2 it was 1:43.845...so essentially 5 seconds off Andy's 2014 best times. In the same July race Clark Nunes, who I expect to also enter this year's Runoffs, turned a 1:41.673 and 1:40.914 to win on both days. There were the two SMG cars in AS and also one tired "real" AS 3rd Gen F Body that wasn't turning any better than SSGT times from the early '90's. Such is the state of A Sedan on the West Coast. 4 "old school" AS cars are now being joined by two brand new drivers and one returning old guy to run in a regional only AS styled class (MC for Muscle Car) in the SFR, and also with Speed Ventures and NASA in 2020. We expect to have 7-8 cars by the end of 2020..but that's another post for another time.

By the way the lap record for SMG at Laguna Seca is 1:38.639 set by Mark Drennan on 6/6/15. As we all know that time and circumstances can result in wildly varying times at the same track and the only true one on one indicator is the same track, the same race.

I expect at the VIR Runoffs to see John and Andy post lap times that are a minimum of 4 seconds a lap faster than Andrew and 2 seconds a lap quicker than Clark.

As far as I'm aware you won't be seeing the two fastest current SMG drivers at the Runoffs. Roger Eagleton and Ken Pederson have run into trouble with the San Francisco Region Stewards and Tech for actions on the track and in non-compliant car preparation. If Addison Lee and Mark Drennan (who have left SMG along with others - it's a shrinking class) were entered I think you'd have a genuine race with John and Andy. But we'll never know.

And therein lies an interesting question. How fast would a LEGAL SMG car be with a top driver. Based strictly on my own observations gleaned with the reflections of racing at Laguna Seca for over 50 years I'd guesstimate that a legitimate lap time would be in the high 1:40's to low 1:41's. But, of course, that's just supposition. The fastest SMG times could be a combination of excellent legal car prep, superior driver ability and fortuitous track circumstances.

We'll never know. And I doubt the SMG presence at the Runoffs is going to answer any questions.

But, WTF, it provides interesting reading on the bulletin board.

Have fun and be safe to all competitors at the Runoffs!

Last edited by Richard Pryor; 09-12-2019 at 12:03 AM.
Old 09-12-2019, 04:20 AM

Hi, Richard. The time laid down by Eagleton was presumed to be a legal AS/SMG. I do expect the SMGs to get their butts kicked at VIR.
Old 09-12-2019, 01:48 PM

Just for perspective..... The SMG issue really had nothing to do with potential lap times or whether they would or would not be competitive. The initial discussions were always based around the non-compliant parts that they wanted to bring into the class. Some of these were items that had been turned down by the CRB, when requested by active AS drivers. The ASAC and CRB told the guy who built these cars that they could be made compliant with a hand full of changes. He did not want to do that, for his own reasons. The CRB put the car in T2 to allow them to run and participate at Laguna, since they were west coast cars (only). Changes in the ASAC and the CRB allowed them to jump into AS, even with their normally non-compliant parts.
They really haven't added anything to AS and probably never will.
Old 09-13-2019, 04:04 PM

Jim, I was having a discussion with another racer who was on the ADHOC for Touring. I've been told that the SMG group was trying to get into T3, but suddenly got dumped into AS.

That would explain why very few showed up to run this year. Apparently some of them were running the Trans Am GT class...
Old 09-13-2019, 04:27 PM

Default Smg

David --

Well.....

Here's a post from the SMG Facebook page from 1/10/2019:

HUGE NEWS coming down from SCCA National!! The Spec Mustang will now become eligible for multiple classes of NATIONAL LEVEL competition!! This means that owners (or renters) of Spec Mustang's now have the unique ability to race regionally and nationally in multiple classes in the same car!! NO OTHER RACE CAR out there can offer this many options!!

The bottom line is that the winner of the 56th Annual SCCA Runoffs in the American Sedan Class could very well be a Spec Mustang driver from the Sports Car Club of America - San Francisco Region!!

Looks like this post indicates some excitement, at the very least, and doesn't mention that they really wanted to be put into T3.

Big question is this. If they wanted to be in T3, and the AS community was less than excited about their entry into the class, you keep sharing that they won't be competitive in AS, and adding them didn't increase AS numbers on they West Coast, should this situation be re-evaluated by the CRB/ASAC?

Pam

P. S. First time I heard they were DUMPED into AS...
Old 09-14-2019, 03:18 PM

Hi Pam. From what I am told (and I have a high degree of confidence in this person) the SMGs were trying to get dropped into T3.

When they ended up in AS, I would assume that it was a "life/lemonade" situation and they tried to paint the best possible light on it. Unfortunately, the West coast AS drivers get hurt the worst because the AS cars aren't particularly strong out here. This seems to have driven them off for a zero net gain in car counts.

I agree 100% that the decision should be reevaluated at this time.