Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Main American Sedan Categories > American Sedan Rules

Old 01-09-2019, 09:55 PM

Default SMG in AS?

Are they competitive? Splitters, wings, tiger hood?
Old 01-10-2019, 12:04 PM

Default Smg

Tim --

Their rule set is listed in Appendix M of the GCR. You could review their rules and perhaps come to a conclusion.

FYI, at Sonoma (only one track), in the T2 race, their top car was 1 second faster than the top 4 AS cars in the AS race.

Pam
Old 01-10-2019, 12:34 PM

Default Onward into the past

Hi, Pam and all,

Well, it now appears that the new direction for A Sedan has been set after exhaustive discussion and input from all the stakeholders in AS, i.e. the drivers and car owners. Somehow I missed all that but I'm sure it's archived somewhere.

As a 70+ year old just out for fun in a RP Camaro this year, the classifying of SMG and their rule set into AS doesn't really matter to me. But as being a member of the one region in the USA where the cars actually run I've followed them with interest since the class inception. It's a great class with a specific rule set to make a fun race car at a specific price point. My personal opinion is that their current rules/prep renders them faster than AS.

We'll find out as the year progresses, but I don't expect the pre-Runoffs results to really give an indication of what they might do. How many times have we seen newly classed cars sandbag the year, barely qualify, and then rise from the ashes of mid pack like a Phoenix to dominate the race.

As a point of interest and comparison here are the lap race records for both classes in the San Francisco Region:

Sonoma AS Runoffs: 1:50.345
Sonoma SMG 1:46.793

Laguna Seca AS Runoffs: 1:38.898
Laguna Seca SMG: 1:38.639

Thunderhill AS: 2:01.647
Thunderhill SMG: 1:58.263

As I said..it'll be an interesting Runoffs. Andy...have you started your SMG/AS build yet?. And I'll bet that an SMG/AS wins the Runoffs this year.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:45 PM

Richard - I am of exactly th same opinion as you. We went through this is late 2013, early 2014. And got it backed out thankfully.

SMG pretty much renders all other AS cars non-competitive, at least if you want to be at the front of the field.
1993 Firebird AS #03 Oregon Region SCCA & ICSCC
Old 01-10-2019, 03:50 PM

I'm off the CRB for 10 days, Kopp is off the ASAC for about the same, and this happens.
Write letters, although I am no longer allowed to see them, since I am not on the CRB. Going through withdrawal.
wheel
Old 01-10-2019, 05:36 PM

So Jim, where they waiting for you to leave to do this? I was surprised when I saw it, thinking we already went thru this. But in all fairness, we really need some fresh blood in this class. In the Florida area there are only 2 or 3 AS cars running right now. Very concerned.
Old 01-10-2019, 05:55 PM

Default Here's the problem

Hi, Andy. I agree. No question new blood is needed in AS. Usually classes grow from the grassroots for the most part and the entries fill out the end and mid pack as they enjoy the class. One problem I see with adding SMG is that anyone wanting to join AS in a SMG Mustang is a build cost of $30k to $40k. And not knowing what rules change there may be once the SMG in AS gain a data base. There are around a dozen existing SMG cars...how many of those are going to run AS? Maybe 2-3 based on knowing some of the people and their goals....the rest are fine running around in their own SMG group..afterall that's why they started the class instead of running AS.

IMHO adding SMG is not going to add new blood but instead create a "blood letting" among current AS members.

So, have you been specing out a SMG build for the Runoffs?
Old 01-10-2019, 05:56 PM

Compared to a bunch of you guys I am a class newcomer (10 years, 1 runoffs, 2 time SARRC champion) but due to the lack of cars in the South East, I am actually thinking about putting some Victor Jr heads on a 347 with a big nasty solid roller cam in my fox, taking the 200 lbs of lead out of it, getting some 17 x 9's and 13" rotors and running in SPO for a while. There are more SPO cars here than AS. If I want to go back to AS all I have to do is switch parts back. Maybe we will get some SMG's running down here, but I don't know of any around right now.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:20 PM

Default A Big Sales Pitch?

So..... Is this whole decision push based on a way to improve the sales of Spec Mustangs? Posted on their Facebook page:

Spec Mustang
6 hrs
HUGE NEWS coming down from SCCA National!! The Spec Mustang will now become eligible for multiple classes of NATIONAL LEVEL competition!! This means that owners (or renters) of Spec Mustang's now have the unique ability to race regionally and nationally in multiple classes in the same car!! NO OTHER RACE CAR out there can offer this many options!!

The bottom line is that the winner of the 56th Annual SCCA Runoffs in the American Sedan Class could very well be a Spec Mustang driver from the Sports Car Club of America - San Francisco Region!!

#BigNews #SpecMustang #AmericanSedan #SCCAMajors #HoosierSuperTour #RoadtoTheRunoffs2019

Borders Racing, Roger Eagleton Racing, DIG Motorsports, Hooked On Driving NorCal Region, ApexRaceParts.com, CorteX Racing, Hoosier Racing Tire, Jongbloed Racing, StopTech, Ford Performance, AV8 Supercars
Old 01-10-2019, 07:46 PM

Default For what it's worth

Just a little more San Francisco Region SMG information. There were 10 SMG cars that took the green flag in at least one race in SFR last year. The largest field was 6 cars in one race with around 4 the norm. Not much more than the 2-3 cars in AS. Somehow I don't see more than one or two of those SMG drivers making the trek to Virginia. And, yes, the Facebook SMG page is certainly putting on the hard sell. But then David Ray is a consummate business professional and I'd expect nothing less.