Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Main American Sedan Categories > American Sedan Technical

Old 08-20-2006, 08:25 AM
Lakeside

Default GT driver switching to A/S

Building a Mustang for A/S,I'm looking for a little help.What heads are now legal? Any suggestions on suspension package,brake package? I've been racing for the past 30+ years and have long since learned not to reinvent the wheel. Any help you guys can give will be greatly appeciated
Old 08-20-2006, 10:09 AM
socalta

There might be some cars for sale .. you could pick one of them up.

The best thing to do is download the rules. In there they call out specific parts (heads) that can be used and give you an understanding of what cannot be used. We are now allowed to use 4 piston calipers in the front just not sure if they re-wrote to include any four pot front package or only approved ones. You can call The Brake Man or Precision to see if they have a package for you to run. If you decide to go with Precision you need to go through Ted Johnson for SCCA rates. The Brake Man is logged in as a participant so you can either view the profile for specifics.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:20 AM

The new brake rule will be tuned up this month in fastrack, unless I'm mistaken. I think it will allow any 4 piston, one brake line, caliper. Precision is no longer in the game as such. I believe they are now just manufacturing and not marketing parts. Ted is now working with another company which will not have the delivery problems associated with Precision. You can reach him at his email, racingbrakesolutions@cox.net
There are, indeed, a number of good Mustangs available as a starting point, both here and in Sportscar magazine and on their web site.
If you really want to build, a careful study of the AS section in the GCR is a must before you do anything else.
After getting a handle on the rules, the Ford guys on this site will be happy to answer any of your questions, except for their super secret stuff.
wheel
Old 08-20-2006, 11:35 AM

Lakeside, if you are looking to get into an AS mustang you might want to check out Dwaine's ad for his FOX body Mustang. The FOX bodies get a 200lb weight bonus and Ed Hosni has proven they are pretty damn fast. Ed is the resource for suspension setup and good parts on those. Dwaine's car has most of the good stuff in it. Very clean and reliable.

Mark
Old 08-20-2006, 03:32 PM

Mark thanks for the kind words. The car has been sold. It will remain in Cen Div but campaigned out of Ill. Think it may be just a regional car. The good thing is AS has not lost a competitor. The worry with AS will be attracting new ones. Thanks again Mark you have always been quite supportive of me while I was racing and in the sale of the car.
A/Sedan #75 / 76 Retired
Crew Chief #15 Steve Hynes

Mustangs are Like Women,...You Have to Put Up With a Lot of Crap to Get What You Want, But When They Perform, Life Is Good.
Old 08-20-2006, 03:50 PM
23CRLmotorsports

Default 2000 Biw

If you want to build one martin Shook has a 2000 BIW with the cage, some lights, trim panels and maybe a few of the windows for sale, it save you alot of time
Old 08-20-2006, 09:06 PM
Andy Ruggiero

Lakeside,
Iím currently building an AS around a 96 Mustang. Iím picking up a lot of info. If you want to email me we can compare notes.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:14 PM

My 94 is available after the runoffs. This is the virtual twin of the car with which Andy McDermid won Two National Championships. I am currently in 3 place in Cen Div with this car this season. 1 win, 3 thirds and 1 fourth, with an old and slow driver. $25,500.00 as ran at the runoffs or $20,000.00 as a roller. You can't come close to duplicating it for this money.

fred@hetherwick.com
Old 08-21-2006, 09:22 PM
Lakeside

Default Thanks for the help

We already have a tub,new cage is just about done. I didn't know if any of the Ford guys could tell me if any of the heads in the new Ford Racing catalog were legal is AS. I saw the stuff from the brake man,seems like that may be the way to go there.Kinda been dancing around with different suspension setups,but would like to find someone who has an entire package,any suggestions? Thanks again
Old 08-21-2006, 09:32 PM

Fred,
I have been watching your progress this season. Doing well. Love the rain race. I hope you will be at the Runoffs.
wheel