Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Misc > Runoffs

Old 10-20-2016, 09:35 AM

All that horsepower and torque.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:13 PM

Is that a Ram Clutch? I had a new Ram clutch fail on the first session. I no longer use Ram products.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:14 PM

I have been using RAM products for years with 0 failures, Not just in my A sedan, but street, drag racing, etc. Not sure what happened to yours. I have found their tech department to be very responsive and helpful, I hope you contacted them and sent the failed parts back so they could eval them.

As for Ed's failure, it looks to me like Ed was taking advantage of the rules (perfectly legally mind you) to run the lightest possible pressure plate and clutch disc. Lighter parts sometimes give up reliability, can't say for sure, but I suspect the reduced rotating mass caught up with him.

It was cool to see a fox body hatch leading and pulling away at the runoffs though, gives me hope for my car!! Now if I could just drive like Ed, and setup my car like Ed, and Oh well, so much for that hope

Andy
Old 10-20-2016, 03:30 PM

Default Ram Clutch

We also have been using that clutch for about 4 years now. We have had no failures and I have asked a lot of questions of Ram to ensure we are doing the right things so that the clutch will be successful.

There are some important items I have learned from Ram.

After about 2 seasons, the plate's grip strength has changed enough that the disc starts to wear unevenly radially on the pads. So, the maintenance program is to replace the plate every 2 years, or, upgrade to their next style plate. We have chosen the every 2 year plan.

We use the Ram hydraulic throwout bearing. Ram wants a .100-.200 gap between the plate fingers and the bearing face. Obviously, this is done with spacers that fit behind the bearing unit on the transmission bearing cover. In this light, the disc starts out at about .31-.315 inches new. The fingers move out about 40-50 thousandths per .01 of wear. We know the size of the spacer for a new disc and whenever we have the trans out, we re-close the bearing in order to re-measure the gap upon installation. Once with zero spacers we get down around .110-.120, we change out the disc.

We like the lighter weight and go through these processes to keep this system for that very reason.

I'm sure there are many things that can cause this failure and I'm hoping that if Ed does figure it out, he shares with us. I think Ram looking at it is an excellent idea.

Pam
Old 10-20-2016, 04:00 PM

I called Ram after my failure and they said due to the clutch used in a racing application they would not warranty it. They were no help to me. I noticed that the friction material was only riveted. Now I use disks that are riveted and bonded.
Old 10-20-2016, 04:33 PM

Default Ram

Scott --

I am sorry that you had a non-positive experience with them. I, as stated, had a better one, and learned a lot. I think it was because I was working hard to understand the engineering of the situation, and I was talking with them as I was trying to get the system to work. I asked a LOT of questions.

I am glad your new system works for you.

Pam
Old 10-20-2016, 08:34 PM

Ed - thanks for posting the picture of the failure. Looks like a Ram 401CT clutch pressure plate, right? Sorry about that, you were looking really strong.
1993 Firebird AS #03 Oregon Region SCCA & ICSCC
Old 10-25-2016, 08:55 AM

Couple of questions:
1. When was the last time a 3rd Gen had the Pole at the Runoffs?
2. When was the last time a 3rd Gen had the fastest lap at the Runoffs?
3. When was the last time a 3rd Gen won the Runoffs?

Things to consider!!
Old 10-25-2016, 05:11 PM

Default What do I Win?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithpr View Post
Couple of questions:

Things to consider!!
Wanted to give some others a chance to answer first, but here it goes. And my guess is that Philip already knew the answers to these questions as he is a well researched dude. Let's see how I do on this little pop quiz.
1. Ross Murray in 2000. I think that was with the car Eric Curran drove in 1999. See my answer to #3 regarding this car below.
2. 2002 with Richard Ciochon. SN95 Mustang on the pole that year (Roberts).
3. A 3rd gen GM car has not won the American Sedan championship in this millennium (dramatic effect). You have to go back to 1999 with Eric Curran to find the last GM 3rd gen champ. Someone might say "WAAAIT! A 3rd gen GM DID take the checkers in 1st place in 2002! He was DQ'd on a technicality!" Bottom line: he didn't make it out of impound.

There have been a few runner up finishes in the millenium, including Philip this year, ill Shepegerdes in 07 (from 14th or something like that) and Wallace in 03. Podiums are just as sparse with Werth 3rd in 2010, Wallace 3rd in 09. Wheeler 3rd in 07 (the last time two 3rd gens were on the podium at the same time I think).

Do I win anything with this awesome display of (useless to anyone not caring about 3rd gens) knowledge?

Last edited by t4wallace; 10-25-2016 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Because I could...
Old 10-25-2016, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithpr View Post
Couple of questions:

Things to consider!!
171 mph around Daytona was the highest top speed of any a/s car correct. Third gen?