Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Main American Sedan Categories > American Sedan Technical

Old 05-07-2013, 12:15 AM

Default Camaro Throttle Cable

I'm having issues. When my car was broken into the carb was stollen and the GM throttle cable was cut. I had a spare carb that I sent out to Pro Systems and bought a Dormans replacement cable because the GM piece wasn't available. First time on the gas.....pop, pulled out at the pedal retained. Put in a second one, checked to see if it was fully opened and correctly adjusted....same thing...pop. This was at Grattan last year. I went to AutoZone and bought a universal kit...not very good but okay, you know the ones with the removable end and braided line. I also replaced the pedal itself with another stock one that I had. It lasted one race. This weekend I ran 2 qualifying laps and on the last turn of the 3rd lap....pop. This time I had a washer in the plastic cup so the cable retainer popped off. I had a spare which I put in and adjusted it just under fully opened. About 1/3 of the way through the race it got harder and harder to press the throttle....the car also felt flat like the carb wasn't fully opening. With 2 laps to go....pop, same thing. I have been looking and found some much stronger 1/8" cable and rod ends but I'm thinking something else has to be going on. I haven't pulled the carb yet but I haven't noticed anything unusual with the carb throttle action. Has anyone else had this problem?? If so how did you fix it?

Tom
#38 Camaro
Old 05-07-2013, 07:25 AM

Tom,
I tried one of the Lokar cables, but went back to a stock one from the salvage yard. The Lokar stuff was for street rods. I am afraid that most of the current aftermarket stuff has the same poor material quality that we are seeing on tranny parts. It looks fine, but the metal is not up to the task. I will check with my local speed shop guru to see if the circle track guys have a solution.
wheel
Old 05-07-2013, 08:28 AM
Administrator

Tom,

I have a few new OEM cables in the shop or trailer somewhere. Let me know if you want me to dig for one for you. Sounds like there is a good chance something else is going on too though.

JK
Old 05-07-2013, 08:47 AM

Default Check out Pegasus racing

I don't have a catalog in front of me, but it seems to me like Pegasus racing was making custom throttle cables, you might check them out. Another thought, could you braze or silver solder the end on, that should hold it.

Andy
Old 05-07-2013, 09:13 AM

Make sure you have a throttle stop also. Has the cable just recently gone oolete as I ordered a few just last year.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:20 AM

Here's the Pegasus page. Their stuff is usually expensive, but well made. Search for throttle cable on their site. They have kits and ready made cables. .
wheel

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com

After looking at their stuff, I am going to order a cable myself.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:39 AM

I've been using the Pegasus cable for a couple years now and they are great.

The measuring piece can get a bit confusing and I ended up with a cable too long. Cut it and used one of the separate ends they sell.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:02 PM

I just scrounge em from u-pull-it type salvage yards. I find a couple,
and put them into my spares. I've only ever broken one. I make sure to
adjust so that when the pedal is fully on the floor, that then and only then
is the throttle fully open. That keeps my foot from trying to break the cable.
1993 Firebird AS #03 Oregon Region SCCA & ICSCC
Old 05-07-2013, 10:20 PM

Does a 16 1/2" jacket and 23" cable (+1 with ends screwed in) sound close??
Old 05-08-2013, 10:35 AM

I only broke one, on the last turn of the last lap of the Runoffs at MidO. I was trying to pass for 5th or 6th and slammed the throttle so hard it snapped off the end. I coasted over the line in 8th. After that, I put a stop under the throttle pedal.
wheel