Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Main American Sedan Categories > American Sedan Race Results

Old 08-12-2007, 06:33 PM
PRO SYSTEMS

Default SEBRING RACE VIDEO and Incident

A wreck that I was a victim of at Sebring this weekend August 12th, prompted me to respond. This posting is an attempt to point someone out and help put a stop to rough driving tactics.

But after I built this page, I thought, maybe I am expecting too much courtesy from racedrivers. The guys I race with regularly are excellent drivers, incredible to race with and very responsible with your and their equipment. But a newcomer really put me on alert. Watch the carnage on the link below.

If the majority of you folks think I am out of line with this linked page or my comments or even my interpretation of the incident, I will apologize and take the page down immediately. E mail or post your opinions.

To: Crash@prosystemsracing.com

Heres the link to the page: http://www.pro-system.com/crash.html
Old 08-14-2007, 01:49 PM
tellis#51sediv

Default Crash

Patrick,
I actually wanted to come by and speak to you but was sick from the heat and left the track immediately after the race. As I remember you had got loose in the corner before and I had drove up along side you. As you came over I got into the grass trying to avoid you. As far as I know the Steward spoke to the corner workers and they said it was a racing incident. You are correct I was running 12 seconds a lap slower in my camaro than I do in my mustang so when you had the inside line two turns later I let you make a pass. I had the pole for the race so to be honest I thought I was the faster car in lap times until you blew by me on the straight. Bottom line is that I never like to see someones car get damaged and I am sorry this happened as mine was damaged also. I will be glad to talk to you about this further so just give me a call or send me another email.

thanks
Tom
Old 08-14-2007, 02:31 PM
PRO SYSTEMS

Default Thank you Tom.

I hope you are feeling better. We should have the car repaired for the next race.

Incidents aren't cheap though thats for sure. We broke the posi unit, bent the rear track bar (the driveshaft was scraping safety loop making a heck of a howl) ruined a couple tires and some front end parts and body damage BUT no one was hurt. That truly makes the incident cheap by comparison.

Be sure to drink a lot of liquids the night before, it sure keeps the headaches away. Thanks for the explanation Tom, it's understood.

Patrick James
Old 08-14-2007, 02:52 PM
tellis#51sediv

Default Crash

Patrick,
Wow , that was lot of damage. You were hauling butt even with all the damage so good job! See you soon

Tom
Old 08-14-2007, 04:14 PM
The Brake Man

Default Nice Job

Tom and Patrick,

Great job of resolving the issues. I know nobody wants to take out the guy on purpose. Sh.. happens.

Bob
Old 08-14-2007, 08:12 PM
PRO SYSTEMS

Default Unfortunately...

we didn't get any real testing in of components as every time we took to the track there was an incident that red flagged it.

We had a Nascar restrictor plate carb that we were developing for fuel mileage that we wanted to test out sweep ratios in the first session. I had a new GT1-American GT carb I was going to run in the second session to check hard braking air to fuel ratios and low speed throttle pick up recovery numbers (OH and congrats to Bupp for winning American GT for us)

Anyway, we never got any hard runs on either test carb in the first 2 practice sessions.

We only got half a warm up lap in our legal session (as I was late to the grid installing our A sedan carb and another minor test part for another project so I had to start from pit lane). That session (which was actually qualifying...yep you guessed it...got stopped. It was a wasted weekend for developing stuff.

So the test parts are still in the trailer for some other day.

Good luck at the Runoffs Tom (well not too much...you're not running my carburetor yet.) LOL. : )

Also Walther thanks for the offer of the fender and other parts (you're good people). I have some spare stuff, so I'm good, but if you need something, stop by the trailer.

Patrick James
PRO SYSTEMS
Old 08-14-2007, 09:55 PM

I would like to enter that video as exhibit one as to why the Fords have more power then the GM's.

The Ford is driving an interesting line but man does he kill that poor GM down the straights. I think we have a new definition of the term early Apex.

Patrick please do not be too sensitive but I think that you would be faster if you turned in a little later. I am not a fan of the super late apex and Wheel gives me total hell for my line onto the front straight at Topeka but as they say the data don't lie but that is a special case and relates to dealing with the lenght of line issues. Maybe there was another car or you were trying to block but take this based on what you paid for it.

Philip

Last edited by smithpr; 08-14-2007 at 10:04 PM.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:24 AM
PRO SYSTEMS

Default That's cool....

I just totally missed the line. I've raced and regularly won in shifter karts for years and you learn proper line and how not to scrub speed off.

Coming down the following straight away after the accident, I stayed to the right in the braking zone as I was unsure of his car or my car after the accident and did not want to be right behind it under braking in case something failed on either car. So I braked real early and prepared to use the engine to stop the rear tires if needed and I could avoid him if he spun around as a result of a failure on his part.

Obviously I'm not a white knuckled driver as the small amount of speed we get up to doesn't compare to my drag cars that have 1400 h.p. on nitrous and 0-60 in the 2 second zone on the rear tires. I have another road course car I test with that has a 383 roller engine that makes some pretty big power as well. So this A sedan car is like driving a go kart with half the g forces. Lots of fun and not as hard on your neck and arms and back.

But I went into that first corner thinking I could stick better than I did (tires were a bit too cold yet...inexperience on my part) and went wide and had to catch the car. I then didn't want to make any sudden moves (from where I caught the car) so I stayed going arrow straight in a predictable line. I saw in my mirror Tom coming up on me, but I thought for sure he would swing under and go around the outside (as there is 2-3 car widths available for use off to my right) as thats the preferred and proper line (I left it wide open for everyone to use) and he should've been passing me with a cross-under. But with his supplied information and after assessing the high damage to my car from the rate of impact, unfortunately his speed was high enough that he was committed to his trajectory on the inside and off we both went.

I went to the Panoz drivers school at Sebring (see our "Under the Scoop" article on our website) and they really make you aware of the proper line and how to hit it. I can usually pick a track up pretty quick from 10 years of Kart racing. So I'm a pretty decent driver. I've seen professional racer computer traces and those guys are awesome..my Racepak traces are incredibly consistent and predictable but I leave many comfortable margins in my laps. I do it for safety, remember I'm just testing stuff here and having fun with my friends. I'm no aspiring professional race car driver. Not being a professional racer I will make mistakes now and again and that time I read a competitor wrong. I thought he would take the move for the pass and he didn't or couldn't. Thats what evidently happened here.

Thanks for the criticism, it only make us better. : )

Also, as far as power goes, Tom told us his camaro is no powerhouse. He has just a mule engine in there that goes to only 5500 rpm. So its easy to pull that on the straight aways. No talent required on my part...which is good. : )
Old 08-15-2007, 01:08 PM
BMiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithpr
I would like to enter that video as exhibit one as to why the Fords have more power then the GM's.

The Ford is driving an interesting line but man does he kill that poor GM down the straights.

Philip
I disagree....watch it again, the camaro gets beat mostly in the braking zone, they are fairly even down the straights with a slight nod going to the Mustang. Patrick, nice save! Tom, next best thing to beat the heat (besides the fluids) is a ventilated helmet to pump fresh air into and a cool suit. I made my own set-up to save the mega $$ for the FAST/CoolShirt units but it has made a 100% difference for me.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:50 PM
tellis#51sediv

Default Cool Suit

Thanks for the tip as being an old fart and out of shape I definetly need the cool suit. I actually do have one set up in my Mustang but I was running my camaro that the Dawsons had finished building for me and it is not set up for one. Really would not have taken long to s/u and after the race I wish I had.