Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Misc > Runoffs

Old 09-28-2016, 10:15 AM

Default My week

I started the week with a very ill handling car. After talking to Alex, Andy's suspension guru, I took eight clicks out of the rebound and three clicks out of compression on the rear shocks. The car responded and the terminal oversteer went away. Other than adding a quart of oil, and changing tires, I did nothing to the car the rest of the week.
On the grid I went through the check list and tested the brake pressure front to rear. Normally, I go to 800 lbs front, which gives 600 rear. When I pushed on the pedal, it went 2/3 rds of the way to the floor and I couldn't get more than 200 psi front pressure while the rear went to 600. For the whole race I had to start pumping the brakes half way down the straights to get enough pressure to slow down. One of the passes I made, going into T4 was because the car just wouldn't slow down. After the first lap issue in T6, Sloe came from the back. He attempted to pass on the outside of T7 and clobbered my right front, dropping me way back from a 6-car dice I had going. My video is clear that I gave him way more track than he needed, but he chopped me off and caused the impact. This is clearly in violation of 6.11.1 -A,B,C,D (page 65)
Later in the race I spun between 8 and 9 when the pedal went to the floor. This dropped me back by five spots.
When Sloe came up to lap me, with 2 laps to go, he caught me at the Keyhole. Again, I gave him the inside apex and stayed on the normal line down the back straight. He had three car widths to the right, but chose to drive directly into my right front wheel, turning his wheel so the contact was his tire to my wheel and fender. After the hit, my video shows him driving straight down the back stretch. He slowed past the green flag station, flipped me off and then proceeded to stop and wait for Andy.
After the race I protested his two contacts, mainly because the second one was clearly intentional and punitive. Since I did not down load my video, the court, rightly, dis-allowed my protest. After seeing my video I could have appealed, and I believe the appeal would have been upheld. I did not appeal because by then I learned of the multiple ROAs of his assault of Andy.
When Andy appealed the lack of severity of the 12 month suspension (which is all that could be done at the event), I testified again and made my video available to the CoA. The CoA will compile all of the information and videos and will make a recommendation for further sanctions.

P.S. When I got in the car on Friday night, to show Carl Bush, the Wilwood man, the pressure issue, the brakes were perfect. I am guessing that there was a mechanical binding in the balance shaft or the push rod into the front master cylinder.

Last edited by jimwheeler; 09-28-2016 at 10:31 AM. Reason: adding info
Old 09-28-2016, 11:21 AM

Thanks for the details Wheel, sorry about the issues that you had, both mechanical and otherwise. Watching the race live on the computer, all they showed of your first contact was the aftermath so it's good to get the story.

You mention the suspension and additonal ROA's, could you detail who protested what, and what the judgements were? All I and others saw was the 3 place penalty post race.

Mark
Old 09-28-2016, 11:35 AM

There were a number of Request for Action against Sloe for the reportedly intentional mugging of Andy. I have not seen the court's determination, but I was told that he received the maximum penalty allowed under the GCR, which is a 12 month suspension of his license. Since I have not seen an official response, I can't guarantee that is true. Andy, with multiple encouragements, filed a protest that whatever they gave him was not enough. This caused the CoA to convene and look at everything from the race as it pertained to Sloe's conduct. This included my deals and contact Sloe had with Stephen Ott and whomever else he hit.
Again, until the results of stuff is published, everything except my personal experience is hear-say and not definitive.

Despite the problems, it was a great week and I had a lot of fun driving my ass off to make passes and complete the event. Even with, essentially, no front brakes, I turned a faster lap in the race than my fastest lap in Qualy. I was pretty pleased with my performance and with the result.
Old 09-28-2016, 03:41 PM

Thanks for the info, glad you had an awesome week!!!
Old 10-11-2016, 08:29 PM

Default Who hit who?

[QUOTE=jimwheeler;33717]Again, I gave him the inside apex and stayed on the normal line down the back straight. He had three car widths to the right, but chose to drive directly into my right front wheel, turning his wheel so the contact was his tire to my wheel and fender. After the hit, my video shows him driving straight down the back stretch.[QUOTE]

Watch the race. Clearly shows you hit Tom.

http://www.scca.com/event_sessions/1986076-as-race-3
Old 10-12-2016, 06:50 AM

i'm pretty sure wheeler is going to have some serious explaining to do over that hit. looks very blatant.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:09 AM

The problem with that video is that it didn't show the curve and apex. I gave him the apex and about two and a half car widths coming on to the straight. My line did not change as I headed down to the kink. As everyone knows, the line does not stay over on the left, but aims slightly right toward the kink. He drove straight toward me, with plenty of room on the right. At the last instant, he turned the wheel left and hit the inside of my right front wheel. That is why his car kicked back to the right.

I'll try to post my video which clearly shows that I gave him plenty of room on the apex of the keyhole and held my line directly at the aim point down the track. With the exception of giving away the apex, this is pretty much the same line I had driven every lap. The responsibility for the pass is on the car doing the passing.

Last edited by jimwheeler; 10-12-2016 at 09:24 AM.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:46 AM

Tom held his line and you drove into him. The video clearly shows that and he was lapping you. If you are the gentleman racer you claim to be, let him go by.

You say, "the line aims slightly right to the kink". So, if a car is in your line, you should go through them??
Old 10-12-2016, 10:00 AM

i agree sparky. if i drive the race line and go outside to make the apex and someone drives under me in the corner, i cannot hit them because they are off the race line. wheelers car comes back to the right, the video is clear as day. when the announcers are that suprised even after watching the replay, that tells you something. they have nothing in the game.
Old 10-12-2016, 10:37 AM

Sparky,
He was coming from behind me. I am supposed to drive the line, not deviate, so that the overtaking driver knows what I am doing. That is supposed to be how it works. I gave him plenty of room.