Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Main American Sedan Categories > American Sedan Rules

Old 11-20-2013, 07:14 PM

Default New smg proposal

Does anyone have any thoughts regarding the new proposal? I sure do.

Scott Olsen
Old 11-20-2013, 08:20 PM

Member input
Concerning American Sedan including Speck Mustang in the class for 2014.
Club Racing Board Minutes | November 5, 2013

I am “Not” In favor of any other rule set added to the existing AS rules.
We have spent years developing a Limited Prep version of the rules. That already includes the SMG cars as written. With very minor changes.
The current LP rules are easy to police. Unlike the proposed SMG rules
The LP group has not yet been a proven or tested with a front running team. We need time to evaluate and develop its performance against the full prep legacy cars.

As the chassis tuner for A. McDermid #24. And an ex-SVT / Ford Racing team member. I have a good feel for the potential of a well-tuned LP Mustang.
Larger & wider wheels, along with racing calipers. Have potential for an over dog situation. The factory Ford factory Brembo calipers on a 14” rotor. Are low cost, and are a true value in racing.

I see no need for a larger diameter exhaust header than 1.625”
And looking at the speck lines posted in Club Racing Board Minutes | November 5, 2013 (as of 11-20-2013). I am worried the SMG cars are not tested against AS cars at the top levels. 2014 is too soon- and how do you go back if there is a mistake? Give the full prep & legacy cars wheels and brakes is an answer. But will escalate cost!

American Sedan has reached an acceptable level of stability.
And a good platform for the future in the current Limited Prep rules.
Please, let’s not dilute the hard work put into Limited Prep. Until it has time to blossom!

Thanks
Alex Szilagyi Member #288306
Old 11-20-2013, 09:08 PM

I am not in favor of the proposed spec line for SMG for thees reasons;

1, SMG cars will become RP AS cars, allowed all of the mods RP cars get.

2, They get to keep their 10.5/ 295 wide wheels and tires.

3, It is unclear weather or not their rules package will be retained, it looks to me like it will not be, so that means their minimum weight will be lowered 225# from 3475 to 3250.

4, In principal I do not think we should write new rules to allow other groups of cars into AS. We already have a set of rules other cars can build to if they want Majors / Runoffs status.

Scott Olsen
Old 11-20-2013, 09:11 PM
Administrator

Make sure to give your input at crbscca.com guys!
Old 11-20-2013, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkopp View Post
Make sure to give your input at crbscca.com guys!
Letter sent.

RP 4th gen Camaro
Old 11-20-2013, 11:22 PM

Letter sent, if you have an opinion for or against, please send a letter.

http://crbscca.com/

Scott Olsen
Old 11-21-2013, 10:31 AM
Hooked1

Default SMG in RP

Guys - I guess we all have our built-in bias. From outside looking in, it seems that its just a closed door - no new cars to race. I get it. We have had an amazing start to our class. 3 new builds announced this week. And we'd like a place to progress to - the Majors. Yup...pretty quick. But there have been other fast starts before...SMT, and NASA went with E30 and it really took off. I think RP A/S is a good solution. Are you guys really busting our chops for 10.5 inch wheels and the diameter of our headers? The 10.5's are a custom build by Jongbloed that are flowform cast and heavy - 24.5lbs...but have the right offset for us to run the Cortex struts with clearance. I set the Thunderhill qualifying record on 275's on the 10.5 wheels. The car can be over-tired..that's why the range...but we have to run square. On weight - a legitimate concern. I'll stick my neck out here, and will mention it in my letter to CRB...keep the current weight of 3475...We're not about trying to bust in to a group and take the podium...we'd like to be competitive...but we just want a home. From the perspective of allowing the RP group to blossom....I'd think that an injection of cars that are competitive and active would help this. And I'd trust that if we all discover that there needs to be some tweaking, that that would happen. My two cents...letter going out this morning....
Old 11-21-2013, 11:06 AM

Please send in letters for or against what is now a proposal.

I personally am against. They want, and have on their cars, way more than any current RP car is allowed.

My letter is going to be simple:

I am against adding Spec Mustang to american sedan.

Scott
Old 11-21-2013, 01:13 PM

Hooked1,
No one is trying to keep you out of the Majors/Runons. The is a place where your cars fit as is, within the current class structure. That would be T1. AS is not a winged class, T1 is for starters.

But what do I know anyway? I made a new guy mad yesterday because I wouldn't give him a logbook for his car with Lexan windows for ITS. He went to ITE and is not happy. What good are rules if the GCR is just a book of suggestions?

RP 4th gen Camaro
Old 11-21-2013, 01:29 PM

im against Spec Mustang or SMG in A/S
ITS AGAINST A/S CLASS PHILOSOPHY
LETTER IS IN
JOE T