Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Main American Sedan Categories > American Sedan Race Results

Old 08-01-2010, 09:42 PM

Default Beaverun National, He Made It By The Hair of His Chinny-Chin-Chin

Well...

Danny got his fourth finish at Beaverun but NOT without a trial and lots of nailbiting, at least on my part. For those who want to know the rundown:

Bret Mars (Didn't get a chance to meet him, ran a Shelby GT Cobra in both AS and Tw)
John Leichner
Danny Richardson
J. W. Brewer, DNF, something blew, don't know what.

Danny needed 16 laps of 30 to get the finish and he managed 19. Friday practice, first lap, the newly rebuilt trans locks in 2nd gear. We spend ALL day Friday and Saturday putting it back together. IF you are EVER in the Beaverun area, The Race Place, owned by GT1 driver Bret Moyer.

2139 State Route 18
Wampum, PA 16157
724-535-6112

He is an amazing fabricator, transmission, and REM process guy and got us through a VERY difficult problem with the T10. We had a main shaft and 1st gear sleeve shipped in overnight and worked to get it back together all day Saturday. Turns out, at least for all the parts I am now getting they are not the same size. I plan a complete analysis soon and will publish data, but just for instance, we had to shave 20 thousandths off a brand new 1-2 slider (inside piece) to make sure that 2nd gear had enough room on the new main shaft so it wouldn't weld itself like the one did we pulled out.

We got back to the track around 5:30, got some dinner, and got the trans back in by about 7:30. Waited till Sunday morning to put oil in so the goop had time to dry. Danny went driving around the paddock and said it was hard to get in and out of 1st gear. Mom's stomach nerves kicked in... I passed along that he shouldn't use first gear at all. Danny, being the testy guy that he is, drove it over to the grid in 1st for warmups and told me it was fine. Turns out I think that the oil may not have gotten everywhere yet, but did. He said after warmups the trans never had felt that good.

So, he goes out for the race, the 6 warmup laps his only time on the track and plans a conservative race, just to get those 16 laps. About lap 14, our power steering pump tube gets blown off the car and he starts losing fluid. I saw the puff of smoke coming out of the last turn. Danny says something on the radio I can't understand but I know there is a problem as he starts slowing down. He asks how many laps and we think its 17 so he says he'll do one more and come in.

But, after all that, he had enough, so we'll see all of you at Road America. That is, assuming, the car gets through a few of my regionals...

Now to cleaning everything up and prepping for Summit Point next weekend.

And sleep, what is that? Pam
Old 08-02-2010, 07:30 AM

Congratulations to Danny and also to Chris Brannon, who got his fourth finish at Gateway, in St. Louis. That's two more qualifiers. Chris, who has a hard time counting laps, followed John Saucier's SSC car around for the whole race, since John had a lap counter. That had to be pretty funny, with the GTO on the bumper of the SSC car coming around NASCAR turn 4 on to the front straight.
wheel
Old 08-02-2010, 10:24 AM
ASGTO

It was for sure a site to see. He was a good sport about it and we had fun. We were both just finishing 1/2 the race and his crew was letting him know when he was done. I promised I would not go over 80mph on the banking (normally do 112mph), and I shifted at 4500 rpms instead of 6500. I am sure a lot of people were wondering what the heck was going on. I have run 1:09 to 1:10 laps there and was doing 1:16.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:18 AM
David Pintaric

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASGTO View Post
I have run 1:09 to 1:10 laps there and was doing 1:16.
It's good to see that all the driver training you have been attending is paying off, Chris.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:44 AM
T2/AS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamRichardson View Post
Well...

Danny got his fourth finish at Beaverun but NOT without a trial and lots of nailbiting, at least on my part. For those who want to know the rundown:

Bret Mars (Didn't get a chance to meet him, ran a Shelby GT Cobra in both AS and Tw)
John Leichner
Danny Richardson
J. W. Brewer, DNF, something blew, don't know what.

Danny needed 16 laps of 30 to get the finish and he managed 19. Friday practice, first lap, the newly rebuilt trans locks in 2nd gear. We spend ALL day Friday and Saturday putting it back together. IF you are EVER in the Beaverun area, The Race Place, owned by GT1 driver Bret Moyer.

2139 State Route 18
Wampum, PA 16157
724-535-6112

He is an amazing fabricator, transmission, and REM process guy and got us through a VERY difficult problem with the T10. We had a main shaft and 1st gear sleeve shipped in overnight and worked to get it back together all day Saturday. Turns out, at least for all the parts I am now getting they are not the same size. I plan a complete analysis soon and will publish data, but just for instance, we had to shave 20 thousandths off a brand new 1-2 slider (inside piece) to make sure that 2nd gear had enough room on the new main shaft so it wouldn't weld itself like the one did we pulled out.

We got back to the track around 5:30, got some dinner, and got the trans back in by about 7:30. Waited till Sunday morning to put oil in so the goop had time to dry. Danny went driving around the paddock and said it was hard to get in and out of 1st gear. Mom's stomach nerves kicked in... I passed along that he shouldn't use first gear at all. Danny, being the testy guy that he is, drove it over to the grid in 1st for warmups and told me it was fine. Turns out I think that the oil may not have gotten everywhere yet, but did. He said after warmups the trans never had felt that good.

So, he goes out for the race, the 6 warmup laps his only time on the track and plans a conservative race, just to get those 16 laps. About lap 14, our power steering pump tube gets blown off the car and he starts losing fluid. I saw the puff of smoke coming out of the last turn. Danny says something on the radio I can't understand but I know there is a problem as he starts slowing down. He asks how many laps and we think its 17 so he says he'll do one more and come in.

But, after all that, he had enough, so we'll see all of you at Road America. That is, assuming, the car gets through a few of my regionals...

Now to cleaning everything up and prepping for Summit Point next weekend.

And sleep, what is that? Pam
Pam, I am usally more social at impound, but I had to try to figure out why my brakes all of the sudden had a mind of their own before the T2 race. As it turns out my car does not like to have the front speed sensor unplugged as per the limited prep AS rules. Everything was OK after we plugged it back in for the T2 race.
I saw Danny sitting in the runoff after turn 1 on Friday and wondered what went wrong. You went to the right guy to get it fixed, I had a minor problem that Bret fixed for me on Friday. It's funny how our paths never crossed.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Pintaric View Post
It's good to see that all the driver training you have been attending is paying off, Chris.
I think its his roots in touring that force him to try and sandbag before the runoffs to get more weight off his car before the big show.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:20 PM

I wish i had the practice day and the car working for me, i would of loved to come and play with you up front bret.Got the finish though so i guess the primary goal was achieved haha. We could not have done this without the help of Brett Moyer. Him and "The Race Place" were the key asset in getting me this finish. He is incredibly intelligent with regards to machining and really knows his stuff. If anyone has trouble around the Beaver Run area he is located less the a mile from the track. He specialized in REM treatments and machine work. I was impressed... if that means anything
Old 08-03-2010, 09:27 AM
ASGTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Pintaric View Post
Crap.. I just realized I was going the wrong direction on my lap times. Oh well! I won't be following an SSC car at the Runoffs!
Old 08-03-2010, 09:30 AM
ASGTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Johnson View Post
I think its his roots in touring that force him to try and sandbag before the runoffs to get more weight off his car before the big show.
I am at 3200 lbs now with 500 hp. How much more weight are you guys gonna make me take off?
Old 08-03-2010, 09:34 AM

David,
You are right. The comments I heard were like, "Damn, Brannon is really flying out there." and "That weight reduction really helped."