Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Misc > Off-Topic

Old 10-16-2006, 08:20 PM

Default Bad Marketing

Ok.. On the back cover of the official runoffs program is a very nice Valvoline ad. It states "Asking a racer if he wants more horsepower is like asking a fat man if he wants more pie." No problem but I would suspect the corvette pictured with a large RED LINE OIL on the nose is not the best way to sell your product.

Ted
Old 10-17-2006, 08:20 AM
Kevin P. McClain

Guess who just stopped using Valvoline ...period.

A stereotype is a stereotype no matter the analogy...

Substitute the word "black" for "fat" and "watermelon" for "pie"...

No... nothing offensive there.....
Old 10-17-2006, 11:09 AM

Default Genius, Pure Genius

Remember, this is an oil company that thought they'd be better spending their marketing $$$ running/owning the NASCAR team as opposed to just marketing. They did this AFTER leaving the 6.

The results speak for themselves.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:36 PM
wlfpkrcn

I'm fat. I don't usually eat pie (actually very rarely). I am not offended. Who cares? It's an advertisement not a personal attack. Would you feel better if it said "asking a runway model if she has a eating disorder" Give me a break. Call the advertising department and they will probably offer you a case of oil for your troubles BTW- When did they attack black people eating watermelon? I must not have read between the lines or missed part of the ad. I'm fat and I'm ok with it. Fat people are fat by choice for the most part, because they are lazy (like me) If I gave a I would eat better and exercise. Maybe you should try it so the future Valvoline ads don't offend you.

Rant over
Old 10-18-2006, 09:48 PM

I like the tv spot where they say something is so easy even a caveman could do it. The caveman walking by in a three piece suit gets all offended about being insulted.
wheel
Old 10-18-2006, 10:30 PM
Bill Richter

I use Mobil1 caveman.

Old 10-18-2006, 11:07 PM
socalta

Erik ..

I've seen you get under the car pretty quick and with not much room undere there ....... don't think you could qualify as fat ....

PS .sorry if its supposed to be Eric .. still aint never got it right ...
Old 10-18-2006, 11:44 PM
wlfpkrcn

At 6'2" and 2 too much , I am considered obese by medical standards. It doesn't stop me from getting the job done Besides those jack stands were on the highest setting. It made me look good Thanks for the compliment. Now I owe you a beer or margarita Ofcourse playing soccer every Sunday is starting to whip me in shape.

E
Old 10-19-2006, 12:49 AM
Ackjazz

Talking But the funny part was...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Johnson
No problem but I would suspect the corvette pictured with a large RED LINE OIL on the nose is not the best way to sell your (Valvoline) product.

Ted
Hello!?!? The FUNNY part of this was the obvious, right? I think it's hilarious. Nice catch, Ted! Leave all words off the page except Valvoline, and show that picture and that's funny no matter who you are!

Imagine a Hoosier ad with Goodyears on the car...a Motorola ad with a guy holding a Nokia on his ear...or my favorite, a politician posing for a poignant moment in a 30 second campaign spot, standing only feet in front of a sign that says "no stopping or standing". (I just saw that in Chicago).

Red Line Oil in a Valvoline spot. Now THAT's funny!
Old 10-19-2006, 09:03 AM
Dawson Motorsports

Talking about funny signs, on the trip home we stopped at the Florida welcome center to use the facilities. Being freshly remodeled they had new signs up. This is where I could have used a camera in my cell phone.
In the mens bathroom, there is a sign on the wall at the urinals, "Hands Free Use".
After coming from the cold in Topeka, "hands free" is totally out of the picture.
Chuck