Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Main American Sedan Categories > American Sedan Technical

Old 03-24-2006, 10:44 AM
socalta

Default My experience with Precision - long

Well I labored over whether or not to post but after the amazing level if incompetence and total lack of customer support I thought I would provide you possible future buyers some information. I have no skin in this other than now being a reluctant customer of Precision. I am not anti-brakeman nor am I pro Precision. With that said, I shall begin.

I was one of the first five to sign on to the Precision bandwagon. Not being in any particular hurry I never bothered to pressure them for the package. Admittedly some delays in my particular case actually delayed my order being place in the queue. My desire to use the OEM front hub required them to figure out its feasibility. My question regarding the use of the IROC wheel was another. Again not being in a hurry I was fine with them waiting to do their “testing.” I know I made a comment that regardless of the outcome of the IROC issue I would not sacrifice better brakes for the sake of keeping some crappy rims. It was a question I thought should be asked since I know some of you guys use them for rain and a question they should have been at least contemplating since some of their customers may have the same issue ..I was a bit surprised they didn't try to think outside the box with respect to the OEM from rotor/hub. In any event I did the IROC testing for them (odd that they never thought of going to a junk yard or asking around to do the test themselves) and proceeded to turn in my form. Admittedly at this point several weeks have passed but in all of my conversations my commitment to the package and purchase was never in doubt. I emailed Laraime on 3/7 to see how things were going and when I might get my package:

“There is no new reason for the delay..I just went down and viewed the contents of your entire kit, it is all here. There is just rack after rack of paThey are not ready, but from what I heard (please don’t hold me to it, because again I am not our shop and cannot foretell what they will and will not be doing) your kit is looking good for leaving tomorrow. Are you wanting to expedite on the shipping?rts that need to be powder coated!! I certainly apologize for this. The "oven" going down seems to have caused about 36 kits to be delayed, yours amongst a few others are in this back log.

Later in the day
“I am reluctant to say any exact day, because I don’t know exactly how long it will take them to get caught up. In case your not asking for an exact day I will give you the best possible answer I can, since I do not delegate the work or speak for our shop. They are expecting to get last Thursday/Friday’s work done late this week, those kits will be leaving shortly after they finish. Sorry, I just don’t want to say an EXACT day to later have the same thing happen with e-mailing back and forth when I have no direct control on exactly when the parts will leave. I will do my best to hover over them and make sure they stay on track, but I think they are already doing this. I am not the only one pushing them to catch up the back log…..the owner already is.”

Two days later 3/9

“They are not ready, but from what I heard (please don’t hold me to it, because again I am not our shop and cannot foretell what they will and will not be doing) your kit is looking good for leaving tomorrow. Are you wanting to expedite on the shipping?”

Keep this in mind. My form has been in their hands for a few weeks now. I would say to be conservative that from the time I emailed the form and provided them with credit card information was a good month.

My kit is looking good for leaving…… at my door on 3/17 is NOT MY DAMN kit …it’s a box full of packing crap … a box of brake pads and bags of bolts.

Remember his quote on 3/7“ I just went down and viewed the contents of your entire kit, it is all here.”
Also on 3/9 “your kit is looking good for leaving tomorrow”

This is the same stuff this guy was perfectly willing to let me pay expedited freight to have sent to my home. Why the hell would I or anyone else pay expedited freight for that. Its useless!!!! The fuse is lit. This guys tells me my kit is shipping. Very nicely placed inside the box is a slip of paper telling me that items 1,2,3 and 4 are being shipped from the supplier. With 30+ orders these guys didn’t have the inclination to order the critical components while everything else is going on. I could be wrong but I bet that the vast majority of the orders were 3rd gens and Chevys to boot.… and the components are the SAME. The rotors, hats, calipers are not custom made. These are all “off the shelf” items in Wilwoods inventory. In a months time these guys did not have the inclination to have all the pieces (INVENTORY) ready so that when the parts returned from powder coating it was a KIT .. a real KIT .. not the B.S. I was told. So here I am with nothing except ANOTHER promise that within two days of receipt of their package I should expect the balance of my pseudo-kit. By Wednesday nothing. I called them yesterday and spoke to a woman for about 15 minutes. She assured me she would call Wilwood and call me back in 45 minutes. Hours pass and I call. Guess what happens .. you guessed it .. not there. Calmly I leave my name and phone number and ask that she please phone me when she returns. No call. Wilwood is 1.25 hours away from me. These guys are horrible. If they placed the order for my Wilwood stuff on or before the day they sent mine out the door, it should have arrived BEFORE their package. I just hope I get the right parts.

I at no point have placed any pressure on these guys to get mine done first. I have told them that if you have a fellow racer that needs his stuff for a race I am happy to wait but when I am told that I have a kit and its not a kit… that shit don’t work for me. When I am offered the chance to pay expedited freight on a kit that’s not a kit .. that shit don’t work for me. When they have my order in the queue and a month later they can’t get it right and on time something ain’t right. When so far all they can deliver on are empty promises something ain’t right. I just hope that their total lack of honesty and customer service is off-set by my amazing new brakes that will shoot me to the front of the pack and right behind Bill.

Caveat emptor……

Last edited by socalta; 03-24-2006 at 11:03 AM.
Old 03-24-2006, 04:04 PM
Dawson Motorsports

Ok, Jorge, tell us how you really feel.
Now you can see why the advisory comm. does not like to spec single suppliers, not that they are. But can you imagine having to deal that way for every part on the car.
Hopefully Ted Johnson will read this and maybe stir up the pot.
Chuck
Old 03-24-2006, 04:08 PM
socalta

I held back

but I can see the point you are making and the value in what you are saying.

I just wanted those out there to know the good and the unsettling. I have been on too many boards where people only post the good and the poor guy afterwards get the shaft. I hope that here, postivite and negative information is offered to help the next guy.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:03 PM

Jorge,
I'm sorry to hear you had so many problems. That sure takes a lot of the joy out of the project. I can't explain the difference between what happened with me and what you went through.
My stuff arrived as promised (some parts were drop shipped from Willwood) and everything was there. Quite the contrary to your deal.
I am sure Ted will look into it.
wheel
Old 03-25-2006, 04:25 PM

Default fitment

Wheel, what kind of hubs are you using with your Wilwood hats?
Also, what (thread) size studs are in your hubs?

I had fitment issues.
Old 03-25-2006, 06:26 PM

I'll be checking on these issues and get some answers. Our experience was flawless with Precision.

Ted
Old 03-25-2006, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedanMan
Wheel, what kind of hubs are you using with your Wilwood hats?
Also, what (thread) size studs are in your hubs?

I had fitment issues.
I am using the Baer aluminum hubs with long 1/2" fine thread studs. I don't care what kind of hub or studs you are using, there is no excuse for that bs where you can't trust them to do what they say they will do.
wheel

Last edited by jimwheeler; 03-25-2006 at 07:24 PM.