Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Classifieds > Wanted > Parts

Old 08-16-2017, 09:59 PM

Default Any SBF Edelbrock heads out there?

Hello All, just checking to see if there are any A-Sedan Edelbrock heads for a Ford out there. Over the winter I plan on swapping out my P heads so I'm just checking for any sweet deals. Thanks!!
2000 Mustang #30
NE-Div. Blue Mountain Region
Old 08-17-2017, 10:29 AM

Default Be careful on the used heads

Steve,

I am sure you know about the "issue" with the heads, I think it impacts the chevy heads also. There is a narrow band of aluminum between the valve seats that will erode with time and hard usage. The rules allow you to remove the seats, weld it up and replace the seats, but by the time you do that you are almost into a new set of bare heads. So just be aware of that when you are looking at used heads.

The G40P's actually flow pretty good.

Andy
Old 08-17-2017, 10:19 PM

Thanks for the response Andy. I was not aware of the issue you are talking about but now I know to look for it. I am only looking to go to the aluminum heads because of the weight coming off the front of the car. Even with the weight penalty I should still be a tad over the minimum. Right now I'm coming off of the track at 3,340 in a SN95. Performance wise I don't think they are much better than the P heads.
2000 Mustang #30
NE-Div. Blue Mountain Region
Old 08-18-2017, 07:03 PM

I had either a Edelbrock head (Chevy)or valve issue last week at Gingerman. One valve is down (split lock intact) on #3 debris crossed over and smashed the electrode on #4 and coolant was draining into the motor.

I'll let you know what happened when I get the heads off.

Tom
#38 Camaro
Old 08-31-2017, 06:41 PM

Pulled the heads, it wasn't a valve seat...I broke a valve (not an Edelbrock part).

Tom
Old 09-01-2017, 08:58 AM

Tom,

Just curious, were they "special" valves, like super light weight or reduced stem diameter? Any chance you floated them? I have been doing this AS thing for 8 years and building my own engines (and some for other local guys) and haven't had a broken valve (yet). If you could share a root cause it would be appreciated.

A broken, or dropped, valve has always been one of my greatest fears, it just hurts so much stuff it scares me! Hope you didn't mess up to much stuff.

Thanks for any info.

Andy
Old 09-01-2017, 03:45 PM

I purchased bare heads and had them done. I believe they were Ferrea valves. They have the standard diameter stems. The odd thing is it appears that the stem is straight, I haven't pulled the valve yet but the spring is sitting higher than the other 7 valves in the head. Approximately 1/3rd of the valve head broke off around the stem but the remainder of the valve is still attached to the stem and hard against the seat. Send me a message and I can text you a photo.

Tom
Old 09-03-2017, 06:58 PM

Tom,

Thanks for sharing the info, I have never seen a valve break like that. I have seen breaks at the stem, but never loosing part of the head. I may have been a manufacturing defect. I would contact Ferrea and see if they have any comment. I have used their stuff quit a bit and never had any issues. How long was it together?

I'll send you a PM, a pic would be great.

Thanks
Old 09-04-2017, 02:54 PM

I found my invoice. The exhaust valves are Ferrea no issue. The broken valve is an American made REV valve (REV-CL1687) .