Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Main American Sedan Categories > American Sedan Technical

Old 03-17-2009, 11:11 AM

I went staggered in the front from day one. We did it inthe stockcar when running road courses from day one. I guess it helps to pick the brain of 5 different brake company engineers at PRI. They did not recommend staggered in the rear. My biggest concerns where the calipers flexing of spreading apart. When they spread or flex, the pistons tend to eat the seals quickly. Yes, I once ran Wilwoods, and maybe i didn't cool them enough, but they ate up seals in my 1900lb GT car. The calipers I have now have massive bridging and 3/8" brackets to hold them together. I just need to learn the full capability of them! If anyone wants to see them, stop by my pits at Road Atlanta on Saturday!
Old 03-17-2009, 07:57 PM
Walther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawson Motorsports
Mark, when you get the car sorted out and going faster, you have to flop the pads every 3 laps.
Chuck

The car is getting there. I have to sort out the Driver. The idiot still thinks he's in his IMCA Modified and driving WAY too deep into the turns. I saw the braking points and turn-in points that Chas was using at Sebring, for the small amount of time I saw him. I really have some bad habits to break and understand why some NASCAR guys never seem to do well on road-courses. I predict a drivers school in the near future. Maybe Barber or Panoz.

Last edited by Walther; 03-17-2009 at 08:05 PM.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:38 PM

Default other caliper options

.......or you could try a different brand of caliper. No offense to the Wilwood product or the people using them, but I've been using The Brake Man calipers for about 3 years now and think they're a great product.

Zero pad taper front to back, zero pad taper inside edge to outside edge.....ever. Including one event with over 100 hot race-pace laps in ONE DAY at Heartland Park. Yes the car has decent brake cooling, but the pads, rotors, hats, and calipers were HOT. Zero taper. No flipping, no flopping.

Btw, my Brake Man calipers are equal bore, not staggered bore. At the risk of sounding like a sales person I'll say one last thing for them....they're symmetric left to right so you only have to have one spare. All you have to do is swap the bleed screw assembly with the inlet fitting.

That said, as good as their calipers are that's all I use from them. Personal preference. Oh, and they're considerably more expensive than the Wilwoods but in my opinion you get what you pay for.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:14 PM
Walther

The only reason I went with a homemade set-up (Wilwood didn't offer a kit then, they do now) was financially driven. With all due respect to The Brakemans fine products, my ENTIRE system (fronts, rears, M/C, lines, and proportioning valve) was less then thier front set-up alone.

The reason for this post/inquiry was to see if I was experiencing something unique, or if it's common.

Thanks.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:01 AM

This thread right here shows why AS works. If you're seeing something you're not sure of, ask...

The beauty of the brake rule is you can DIY, or have it done for you (at a price)... Some AS'rs have the resources to take it on, and some have the resources to purchase the kit. Either way, we're still better off than we were with the PBR stuff and we're all safer for it. Especially with the extra weight, power, or both we now have.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:18 PM
socalta

I'm too shy to ask .....
Old 03-18-2009, 12:25 PM

They don't make a smiley face big enough to cover that one, Jorge.
wheel
Old 03-18-2009, 12:46 PM

I agree the Brakeman calipers are really nice pieces, and use them for most of the reasons SedanMan listed. But, I still get some taper wear using them, and need to flip/flop the pads in order to get the pads to wear evenly. So I don't think the calipers are solely responsible for the even wear that some people get.

Taper wear has gotten worse on my Gen 4 firebird compared to the Gen 3 camaro I used to have. I suspect the brake ducting I have made so far for the Gen 4 car is less effective than it was on the Gen 3 car.
1993 Firebird AS #03 Oregon Region SCCA & ICSCC
Old 03-18-2009, 01:30 PM

We have also noticed some slight taper to the Brakeman Calipers. When we first noticed this, we started flip flopping our pads every other session. It so easy to do and only takes a few minutes. Not like the old PBR stuff.
A/Sedan #75 / 76 Retired
Crew Chief #15 Steve Hynes

Mustangs are Like Women,...You Have to Put Up With a Lot of Crap to Get What You Want, But When They Perform, Life Is Good.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:30 PM
fairlane_68

You guys don't think the pad taper could be from the caliper mount bracket flexing do you? Do you think a beefier bracket would fix the issue?