Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Main American Sedan Categories > American Sedan Pics and Videos

Old 01-06-2011, 02:53 PM
Walther

Default AIX/ITO Update

After a festive break for the holidays, it's back to the garage. I'm almost finished with designing/fabricating the front suspension. All that's left is the lower shock mounts and the sway bar mounts. I thought I'd share....
Old 01-07-2011, 02:11 AM
Bedlam

Who built the spindles?? They look like a set of Coleman but...I did not think, they built anything but wide 5's. Those hubs are nice also.

Nice work

Greg
Forum Spectator
Old 01-07-2011, 04:48 PM
Walther

K-member is a Granatelli to which I added my own lower suspension mounts and a mount for the Woodward rack.
Hubs are Coleman. I had them drilled to a 5 on 4.5 (Ford) pattern.
Spindles are Coleman as well. 10 degree angle with a (custom) 6" ball joint spread.
Upper control arms 6.5" from UB Machine with Walther fabrication upper mounts that sandwich between the K-member and the frame.
Lower control arms are Walther Specials, with aluminum Allstar radius rods.
All Heims are 3/4 by 3/4.
The whole set-up has almost zero bump-steer, 9 degrees of anti-dive built in, and .5 degrees of camber gain per inch of jounce.
I still have to position the lower shock mounts and fabricate the lower sway-bar mount (NASCAR style) then it's off to be powder coated.

Best of all, I will have this whole thing done (with 6 piston brakes & PRO Shock coil-overs) for under $3500. Griggs and Agent 47 both wanted over 5K for a bolt in set-up, and I bet mine will be better in geometry, strength, and steering. It has been a ball building it!!! (after a few choice cuss words)
Old 01-07-2011, 10:28 PM

Default Slicks In AIX?

Walther.

Looks really good and it will need to be if the rumor I heard is true that you can now run slicks in AIX. You guys are truely "GT1 lite". 800 to 1000 hp on slicks? Pricey but really cool.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:11 AM
Walther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Johnson View Post
Walther.

Looks really good and it will need to be if the rumor I heard is true that you can now run slicks in AIX. You guys are truely "GT1 lite". 800 to 1000 hp on slicks? Pricey but really cool.
That was a proposal that was shot down. Rule for AIX is any DOT tire up to 18". I'll be running 17" 295's and 315's. AI still has the Toyo rule.

I also PM'd a few of the top guys. There are 1000 hp cars in the Great Lakes area, and apparently they run really fast for 3-4 laps but rarely finish. Chris Griswold is the "Andy" of AIX. He says 600 hp will get you very competitive, and I should be just north of that with my stroked Windsor. However, I'm building mine to run ITO and doubt I'll run the championship races in AIX for the same reason I chose not to race at the R/O's. I just want to have fun, in a fast car, locally- without spending big bucks for travel and entry fees. I'd rather spend that money on the car. Does that make sense?
Old 01-08-2011, 03:51 PM
CobraR05

i am pretty sure that 600hp will not be legal for ITO. STO, very likely. ITO rules mirror Grand Am GS class and World Challenge GTS class.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walther View Post
That was a proposal that was shot down. Rule for AIX is any DOT tire up to 18". I'll be running 17" 295's and 315's. AI still has the Toyo rule.

I also PM'd a few of the top guys. There are 1000 hp cars in the Great Lakes area, and apparently they run really fast for 3-4 laps but rarely finish. Chris Griswold is the "Andy" of AIX. He says 600 hp will get you very competitive, and I should be just north of that with my stroked Windsor. However, I'm building mine to run ITO and doubt I'll run the championship races in AIX for the same reason I chose not to race at the R/O's. I just want to have fun, in a fast car, locally- without spending big bucks for travel and entry fees. I'd rather spend that money on the car. Does that make sense?

They appear legal according to this.

The 2011 American Iron rules are now available on the NASA site (http://www.nasaproracing.com). We again apologize that it took so long to release these and we assure you we will not be this late again. While the 2011 Rules have been posted, the 2011 Rules showing the redline changes have not, but will be released shortly.

Until then, a quick summary of the changes for 2011 is below:

> AIX cars may now run non-DOT tires and maximum rim width has increased to 13 inches from 11 inches.
> AI cars now have a $6k transmission cost limit.
> The dashboard requirement for AI has been defined a bit better.
> The method for measuring ride height has been clarified.
> The dyno procedure has been updated and aligned with CMC.
> New maximum front extension of front splitter for AI. AIX cars remain unlimited here.
> Radiator core support removal allowance is better defined.
> Electronic throttles are allowed without restriction.
> Rear shock attachment for AI better defined.
> All 2010 tech bulletins have been incorporated.
> Windshield banner format defined.
> Minor clean-up of grammar and format.

A Director's Cut and "State of the Union Address" with reasoning behind the changes and a roadmap of where we are headed over the next few years will be out next week.

Todd Covini

Old 01-08-2011, 04:42 PM
Walther

Quote:
They appear legal according to this.

> AIX cars may now run non-DOT tires and maximum rim width has increased to 13 inches from 11 inches.
Sweet!!! Now I can run tires that'll won't fall off after two heat cycles!
Old 01-08-2011, 04:53 PM

Depends which compound you choose.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:56 PM
Walther

Quote:
Depends which compound you choose.
Always!! But I could get numerous weekends out of real race tires when I was driving in circles, even the right front.