Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Main American Sedan Categories > American Sedan Rules

Old 05-13-2010, 03:35 PM
Walther

Default Transmission Mount

On Scott's SN95 build- the engine and tranny are in, but the "tabs" for the transmission cross-member are WAY off, probably because we used the stock 1995 crossmember and the clutch can and tranny out of his old Fox. I believe there is a difference in input shaft lengths and depth of the bell housing between the two model years which has probably caused the misalignment of the mount. I looked through the GCR and there is plenty of mention of the mounts, but not the cross-member, until you reach the spec lines at the end of the section. For restricted prep (T2) cars it says that the mounts may not be relocated, but mentions nothing about cars prepped for AS.

So, can we modify the tranny cross-member and/or fabricate a new one? I do not see how we have a choice without spending a ton of money for a new clutch can, input shaft, etc.

Thanks

Mark
Old 05-13-2010, 03:45 PM

"m. Alternate transmission cases may be used. When alternate
transmissions or transmission cases are installed, cross
members must be modified to insure that engine location is
kept in its original location and to facilitate installation of the
transmission."

That's the rule. The only restriction is that you cannot move the engine from its original, or approved location.
wheel
Old 05-13-2010, 03:55 PM
Walther

Jim, I'm not trying to nit-pick this to death, but he is not using an alternate case. I thought "alternate" meant "aftermarket". 94-98 Mustangs came with a T5, they're just different versions from the one he has.

Do you think the rule you pasted covers that?

PS, the engine is right where it should be.
Old 05-13-2010, 04:15 PM
Dawson Motorsports

Mark, was it an auto car or stick, that may be the difference.
What cross memeber are you guys trying to use?
The trannys are all the same lenght, also the clutch can [Bell housing].
Wait, it's probably those G-Force gears.
Maybe Andy can chime in on this.

Chuck
Old 05-13-2010, 05:20 PM

If you fit a transmission that is different from what came with the car, you can (must) modify the crossmember to mount the transmission. By keeping the engine in the stock location, you are adhering to the letter and spirit of the rule. The crossmember rule might be better if it said "the crossmember may be modified, or replaced, to ensure that the engine remains in the stock location."
Look for a proposal, for 2011, which will allow pretty much any transmission that has the right ratios and has some other qualifications. That proposal will be in the fastrack next month (not the one coming out on the 20th of this month), and you can all chime in to the CRB with comments.
wheel
Old 05-13-2010, 05:26 PM
Walther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawson Motorsports View Post
Mark, was it an auto car or stick, that may be the difference.
What cross memeber are you guys trying to use?
The trannys are all the same lenght, also the clutch can [Bell housing].
Wait, it's probably those G-Force gears.
Maybe Andy can chime in on this.

Chuck

Chuck, the car was originally a V6/Auto. The Ford dealer verified that the V6 and V8 carry the same part number for the cross-member, auto or manual. Fox's have a shorter input shaft and a bellhousing depth of 6.5"'s, SN95's have longer shaft and a bellhousing depth of 7.8"s. Lakewood carries a different part number for the two model years. And the mount/member is misaligned by about 1.5"s

BTW- you know how modest/reserved Scott is, and what a loud-mouth I can be, so I'll brag for him. This car turned out really, REALLy nice. Wait until you see it. I'm sure you'll agree.

Last edited by Walther; 05-13-2010 at 05:31 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-13-2010, 05:30 PM
Walther

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwheeler View Post
Look for a proposal, for 2011, which will allow pretty much any transmission that has the right ratios and has some other qualifications. That proposal will be in the fastrack next month (not the one coming out on the 20th of this month), and you can all chime in to the CRB with comments.
wheel
You know what my comment will be

Thanks for the clarification, Jim. I certianly have a history of making my own (mis)interpretations of the rules, so that's why I asked.

Mark
Old 05-13-2010, 05:44 PM
Dawson Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walther View Post
Chuck, the car was originally a V6/Auto. The Ford dealer verified that the V6 and V8 carry the same part number for the cross-member, auto or manual. Fox's have a shorter input shaft and a bellhousing depth of 6.5"'s, SN95's have longer shaft and a bellhousing depth of 7.8"s. Lakewood carries a different part number for the two model years. And the mount/member is misaligned by about 1.5"s

BTW- you know how modest/reserved Scott is, and what a loud-mouth I can be, so I'll brag for him. This car turned out really, REALLy nice. Wait until you see it. I'm sure you'll agree.
So you used a V-8 K member, right?
And the Ford dealer said the cross memebers are the same, so why are there
so many holes where it mounts?
Not knocking Ford, but why change the damn lenght?

I'm sure the car looks great. Have you seen Fast Andy's since he painted it.
Another good looking AS car in the South.
Chuck

ps; I have a shorter drive shaft available.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:54 PM
Walther

There's only one set of holes on the chassis.
At least Ford didn't need tax-payers to bail them out!!!!!!!!

I haven't seen Andy's car, but I talked to him last week and he told me about it. As sson as Scott's is done, I'm going to start on my new one. I'm hoping to find a S197 ('05 up) cheap, but I'll settle for the same model year as Tom's. (99-04)
Old 05-14-2010, 07:52 AM
King Matt

The combination of SN95 chassis and Fox trans/bellhousing should result in the transmission being moved forward about 5/8 inch. You may be able to make up the gap by slotting the mounting plate on the transmission or the holes in the crossmember. If the rules allowed it, the best solution would be to slot the engine mount pads on the front K-member and move the engine and trans back to match up with the transmission X-member.