Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Main American Sedan Categories > American Sedan Technical

Old 09-02-2008, 05:15 PM
Rick

Default Headers

If I'm not being too bold, what do people on this forum recommend for headers in a SN95 chassis. I used Mac and Hedman in my old Fox chassis. Both seemed to work well although the Mac's fit easier.

Also, is Currie the way to go for a 9"?
Old 09-02-2008, 09:53 PM
Walther

Rick, no such thing as "too bold" on this forum. I built my car from advice from this forum and am still learning. You'll find the comments you get are uncensored and most often VERY accurate. I have learned in my short experience in road racing that it is not as much about the car as it is the driver, so some of the national level run-off contenders with FASt cars on this site will give you GREAT advice for your car. You'll see.

As far as your questions:

Any, 1 5/8 " long tube header will work just fine. There has been some recent discussion about stepped headers and the jury is still out as to their legality. IF you are using the GT40P heads, you may have some problems with the plugs & wires since the plug angle on those heads causes interference/contact with the primaries, specifically on #4. The new AS Edelbrock heads are out, make more power, and do NOT have the plug interference problems.

You really do not need a 9". they are heavier and more expensive. A 8.8 will work just fine with 28 spline Moser (or other aftermarket) axles. save the $$ and spend it on a torsen style, road-race differential.

Mark Walther
AS #84
Old 09-02-2008, 11:03 PM
BMiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walther
Any, 1 5/8 " long tube header will work just fine.

Mark Walther
AS #84
Not true...IF you are running a road race T sump pan (Lakewood bellhousing can also be a problem). Not all long tube headers will clear the rear kick-out without modifications. Be cautious and measure a million times, ideally with a buddies headers and/or possibility to return the ones you buy. My 2 cents FWIW. P.S. I run MAC LT in a Fox that will not clear the rear T sump.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:45 AM

The tubing size issue is cut and dried. No part of the header tube can be larger than 1-5/8". If, for some strange reason, you want step headers, you can have them, as long as none of the steps is larger than 1-5/8".
Old 09-03-2008, 06:32 AM

Default sorta

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwheeler
The tubing size issue is cut and dried. No part of the header tube can be larger than 1-5/8". If, for some strange reason, you want step headers, you can have them, as long as none of the steps is larger than 1-5/8".
That said, after the first collector you can use any size tubing you want.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:51 AM

Yes, from head to collector, and then any size you want.
wheel
Old 09-03-2008, 06:37 PM
Walther

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMiller
Not true...IF you are running a road race T sump pan (Lakewood bellhousing can also be a problem). Not all long tube headers will clear the rear kick-out without modifications. Be cautious and measure a million times, ideally with a buddies headers and/or possibility to return the ones you buy. My 2 cents FWIW. P.S. I run MAC LT in a Fox that will not clear the rear T sump.
I run Mac headers, and a Champ T shaped, 7 qt pan. I had to modify #4 primary at the head and #6 near the oil pan. The modifications did not use a sledgehammer either.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:40 PM
Walther

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwheeler
There was some discussion a few threads back about stepping the headers DOWN from 1 5/8" to a smaller size before the collector. Didn't know it was cut and dry, rather still being discussed. I suppose it would help to read ALL of the thread. Personally I agree, I think anything smaller than 1 5/8" will hurt rather than help.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:07 PM
fairlane_68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walther
Personally I agree, I think anything smaller than 1 5/8" will hurt rather than help.
I agree. If you drop a golf ball into a funnel, it'll only go so far before it stops. The RPMs these engines turn, what's the sense in stepping down the header size? I'd run as big a primary as I possibly legally could.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:18 PM
King Matt

The 1-5/8 rule only applies up to the collector. If your headers don't look like these, you might be leaving some performance on the table. Or a lot.