Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Main American Sedan Categories > American Sedan Race Results

Old 04-15-2018, 12:12 PM

Thumbs up engine price

: You can build an engine low cost. depends on the parts. If you want it to last, you put in good parts. We get our engines to go all year. We will put valve springs and check bearings leak down if all ok put pan back on run next year. One of the most important part of engine is valve train only the best there. Oiling is the most important. Poor oiling will take out the motor faster than valve train. When you talk about cost for a top engine if it lasts three years then freshen that cuts engine price way down. If you have a good engine builder don't tell him what to do. Ask questions help in that but that's what he does for a living, if you don't trust him get new builder. Wheel runs his engines long time with maintenance and good parts, and engine builder that he can trust to advise and build a good engine.

Ken Felice
Old 04-15-2018, 12:17 PM

Same .480 lift cam that was in the old motor. Same head prep, same intake manifold, same oil pan, different oil pump, new crank, new (1967) 307 block. I think maybe cam timing is a bit different. Not sure if this motor has the same brand pistons, valve springs, etc. as the old one. I think it does. I think attention to detail and perfection in execution bring the slight increases we have seen.
Yes, the motor I ran at the Indy Runoffs is in for a refresh. Ran all 2016 season and the Mid O Runoffs and all the 2017 season. So, it is due for a refresh.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:38 AM

Ken/ Jim

First let me say I respect you both. I do. I have no intention here to stir the pot and get people riled up.
Having said that when I raced a sedan I had a builder I trusted. He taught me a lot. Exported comp.eliminator drag race engines to Australia and highly respected. He passed away a few years ago to cancer. We combed the rules with a fine toothed comb to take it to the limit. No more, no less. He layed out the maintenance program for an engine of that caliber, with all the best parts. From oiling, to rings, intake manifold development, carburator development. It was endless, and very pricey.
It would take 110 octane fuel exclusively, as insurance for a fully developed full prep engine.
It was not possible for my budget level. Had to make the tough decision to leave a/s.
I needed a pump gas engine.
I needed an engine that can last at least 5 years without issue or refresh.
I needed it to not be obsoleted with incremental improvements that happen in a/sedan.
I needed an engine that does not push a syncromesh gear box to it's limit, due to 7600 plus rpm needed to be competitive with a under 313 ci Eddy head motor.

I have that now with a fuel injected ls engine.
I don't go over 6000 rpm with it.
I run pump gas because I have it detuned for reliability and in doing so can run the car lighter. The lower rpm engine helps the syncros in the gear box last longer. And this detuned ls engine makes more power than my 305 iron head motor ever could twisting the hell out of it. A/S is a cool class. But out of reach for my budget.

I'm happy I can race with a junkyard ls engine, and be competitive.
I'm happy I can develop my chasis to compete against the newer model cars that have the homework done for you in the suspension from the factory, but needed to keep the class I race in relevant and attractive to younger drivers and newer cars.

Ken I understand your point of view and your advice as a pro builder is valid for engines in a/s. Unfortunately that doesn't fit for me.
I've heard about your oil pans on the 24 car. Very creative. It shouldn't take that kind of creativity to keep an a/s motor alive in my opinion. Someone posted about a harmonic in the ford engines that destroys spark plugs and Andys advice was to keep changing plugs frequently? Would that harmonic be an issue at 6500 rpm or is this just an issue on the 8000 rpm fully developed a/s engines.
I also needed a more affordable tire. And to my knowledge no one has a tire deal in the class I run. They spread the tire money deeper into the larger fields. Who needs help from a tire manufacturer more than the guys who may not be running at the pointy end of the field all the time?
I've learned the gap between the haves and have nots is closer on a harder tire. Another reason im happier where I'm at.
These are just my opinions and respect everyone elses. Some agree with me and some dont. I love racing and enjoy seeing what's going on in various classes.
Jim I'm happy you are still racing and having fun. Keep it up. Fun to watch your video.

Last edited by Ted Johnson; 04-16-2018 at 12:46 AM.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:20 AM

Ted
If the grass is so green where you are why keep looking back? Not trying to be mean or an ass or tell you to screw off. I'm just curious. I have left my job and absolutely love working for myself. I don't even bother looking back at the company I worked for. So what is making you continue to come here to the a s forums and engage and discuss your greener pasture?

Again, I'm asking this with sincerity.

Thanks
Old 04-16-2018, 10:53 AM

Just so we keep things in perspective. Kevin Fandozzi finished on my bumper in his first race ever at Hallett. The next day he won and dropped the track record by over a second. The record time was set by Shawn Gray several years ago. I had bested the record a couple of times in qualifying, by a tenth or two, over the years, but never in a race. Kevin was driving a low budget RP car with a stock LS motor.

Last edited by jimwheeler; 04-16-2018 at 11:14 AM.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny"TheKid"Richardson View Post
Ted
If the grass is so green where you are why keep looking back? Not trying to be mean or an ass or tell you to screw off. I'm just curious. I have left my job and absolutely love working for myself. I don't even bother looking back at the company I worked for. So what is making you continue to come here to the a s forums and engage and discuss your greener pasture?

Again, I'm asking this with sincerity.

Thanks
This is just a forum and it's just discussion. My posts are just from a different perspective now. There's good people here and recent requests asking for input on how to grow the class is the reason. I hope these ideas are seen as thought provoking and are offered as areas of improvement to help grow the class into the future. Why should I care? I love pony car racing and hope it continues and grows whatever sanctioning body it may be. Its always been my hope for racers to be able to cross over back and forth between sanctioning bodies with minimal change over. I'd like to run some SCCA events but my car isn't compliant anymore. Yet I know the laptimes at our local tracks between these two classes is very close. Just achieved slightly different. So are you implying the committees are no longer in need of constructive input on the future of the class?
Old 04-16-2018, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwheeler View Post
Just so we keep things in perspective. Kevin Fandozzi finished on my bumper in his first race ever at Hallett. The next day he won and dropped the track record by over a second. The record time was set by Shawn Gray several years ago. I had bested the record a couple of times in qualifying, by a tenth or two, over the years, but never in a race. Kevin was driving a low budget RP car with a stock LS motor.
Think about that.... What if older chasis cars could run an ls engine.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Johnson View Post
This is just a forum and it's just discussion. My posts are just from a different perspective now. There's good people here and recent requests asking for input on how to grow the class is the reason. I hope these ideas are seen as thought provoking and are offered as areas of improvement to help grow the class into the future. Why should I care? I love pony car racing and hope it continues and grows whatever sanctioning body it may be. Its always been my hope for racers to be able to cross over back and forth between sanctioning bodies with minimal change over. I'd like to run some SCCA events but my car isn't compliant anymore. Yet I know the laptimes at our local tracks between these two classes is very close. Just achieved slightly different. So are you implying the committees are no longer in need of constructive input on the future of the class?
Ted,
Not Implying anything at all. I was more looking for what keeps you around and why. If it is something we can build upon as a class or a philosophy. The questions were 100% constructive.

Thanks
Old 04-16-2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny"TheKid"Richardson View Post
Ted,
Not Implying anything at all. I was more looking for what keeps you around and why. If it is something we can build upon as a class or a philosophy. The questions were 100% constructive.

Thanks
No worries. It's all good.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:40 PM

LS and Coyote are being discussed for all cars.