Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Main American Sedan Categories > American Sedan Rules

Old 05-14-2019, 06:38 AM

Default Update

Steve --

Please recall I am no longer in the rule making loop. I am now a private citizen and entitled to write letters and express my opinion. The decision to give the Fox 100 lbs has been done. I expressed my opinion. You can express yours as well.

How each person builds their car is up to them. What you drove this past weekend was a VERY well developed car and that showed. That doesn't mean your Fox can't do as well, aka, Bryan and Ed proved that it could.

The question I think needs to be asked if whether or not cars should receive BOP adjustments based on the best build with a fast driver, or something else. Basically, that is what I asked the ASAC.

Glad things worked out well for you this past weekend.

Pam
Old 05-14-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86notch View Post
As a foxbody driver that just spent the weekend in an s197 chassis I really have to say my chassis and suspension geometry is literally light years away from the s197. Pam I understand what your saying about the aero of a foxbody but letís be honest the problem with our entire class is how we get the rear end to work. If you add 400lbs of downforce up front (way more then any foxbody splitter could ever do) that isnít going to help the car work better in the rear, which after this weekend I learned is way more important to going fast. Furthermore downforce up front is nearly worthless if you donít have the equivalent in the rear. Brian Long knows how to build a racecar and has had time to get that car worked out, he also seems to have a top notch engine with the trap speeds we saw at Indy. Why not work on getting these motors under control and let our narrow track width foxbodyís have 100lbs. Port volumes and intake manifolds would be a good start IMO

Steve Ott
I'd agree with this. Here's some 2008 runoffs footage with former asac member Kyle Watkins back in a fox mustang. Was on the pole in 04 in a sn95. He had a borrowed Felice engine that showed on his outstanding start but the handling was no match against Andy's s197 and heinricys firebird.

https://youtu.be/fFAjEIWpnKE
Old 05-14-2019, 12:42 PM

Default Since 2004

Ted --

Things have changed. Watch the 2017 Indy Runoffs and the 2016 Mid-Ohio Runoffs.

Pam
Old 05-14-2019, 01:03 PM

2016 Andy won. 2017 Brian won with a fast lap less than a tenth quicker than heinricy? What was tech like these years? Has front suspension pickup points been checked? Seen two ex a sedans racing with modified pickup points siting if they did check it was because of damage repair. And the new pickup points just happen to be where one might want them to be. Crazy
Old 05-14-2019, 03:55 PM

Default 2016

Yes Andy won. Ed was leading him by 20 seconds when on the last lap Ed's clutch broke.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:47 PM

So if the Fox body is so good why are any of us sticking with a 30+ year old Camaro? Not exactly a ticket to a runoffs win since Jay Morris (who didnít win) or Ross Murray (also didnít win). If a fox body is so good buy or build one and race it. Brian and his brother (correct me if Iím wrong) found an advantage which no one can tell me what it is and used it. Same brakes, same engine, trans, rear end, shocks, springs, etc, etc. With not the best aero (per Pamís comment) as any of us driving full prep cars and made it work. What should this car weigh? The same as an F body? More?? If so why?.

Tom
38 Camaro
Old 05-14-2019, 10:19 PM

Tom, They just have to realize that Brian Long and Ed Hosni can drive, period. Yeah they "developed" the car but there are alot of those cars around. I think Andy McDermid's is too heavy also but he's the only one running that body so he gets screwed because he's the fastest driver in the class IMO.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:07 AM

[QUOTE=PamRichardson;35342]Yes Andy won. Ed was leading him by 20 seconds when on the last lap Ed's clutch broke.[/QUOTe

Was that not the same scenario at Laguna before the 24 car broke something in the rearend that allowed the second and third place cars a fox and rp firebird to battle it out?

2015. 24 car stretching a similar margin of victory by almost 20 seconds? Hosni not in the hunt at this one
https://youtu.be/bkdSfMBaVFk

What am I missing? Seems a couple of fox mustangs figured out the game now. Good for them.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:48 AM

Default Laguna

Andy had a front rotor brake in the race at Laguna. Yes, he was leading. Don't know by how much, so I won't quote.

As for why Ed (and Bryan) have done better than West Coast Fox teams, I can't say, but yes, I'd say they have figured it out. And yes, I agree, good for them.

Pam
Old 05-15-2019, 03:04 PM

Perhaps the solution is to put one of these on everything FP. Sized to allow a specific flow.

Then the port volumes, and all the other stuff theoretically do not matter.

Is that a valid theory?

If you kept the cam specs, carb specs and displacement specs, would a cheated up intake or head even show a difference if the restrictors were really sized for say 425 HP at peak flow?

I am posting this as food for thought. There would obviously need to be adjustments to the RP cars as well.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aaf-all26060

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aaf-all26066