Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Main American Sedan Categories > American Sedan General

Old 06-21-2019, 07:39 PM

The SMG class runs under Appendix M, SMG Technical Regulations. They are neither a Full Prep nor a Restricted Prep car. Appendix M does not have any requirements on the engine other than this:

1. No modifications to the engine are allowed except where specifically authorized within these rules. RACE-BUILT ENGINES ARE NOT ALLOWED. All engines will be as built and delivered by Ford Motor Company.
2. Cars in this class are to run stock 4.6 liter engines from 2005-2009 cars at no more than 315 rear wheel horsepower, and 325 ft lbs of torque. Updating or backdating of entire engine long block is allowed.
3. Dyno testing may be required if it appears that an engine in a competing car has an edge in power. Determination of any potential power advantage will be made by SCCA stewards. Test to be done at owner’s expense by dyno shop approved by the SCCA.

Without a dyno, which we have never had at an SCCA Runoffs, there is no way to tell if the engine is compliant.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleJones View Post
Is that rears only? Is there a list of changes approved for 2020, I don't see anything in Fastrack? I've heard that there might be a crate motor option for FP cars in 2020?
Any rule changes effective this year should show up in the GCR in red.
Old 06-21-2019, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwheeler View Post
The SMG class runs under Appendix M, SMG Technical Regulations. They are neither a Full Prep nor a Restricted Prep car. Appendix M does not have any requirements on the engine other than this:

1. No modifications to the engine are allowed except where specifically authorized within these rules. RACE-BUILT ENGINES ARE NOT ALLOWED. All engines will be as built and delivered by Ford Motor Company.
2. Cars in this class are to run stock 4.6 liter engines from 2005-2009 cars at no more than 315 rear wheel horsepower, and 325 ft lbs of torque. Updating or backdating of entire engine long block is allowed.
3. Dyno testing may be required if it appears that an engine in a competing car has an edge in power. Determination of any potential power advantage will be made by SCCA stewards. Test to be done at owner’s expense by dyno shop approved by the SCCA.

Without a dyno, which we have never had at an SCCA Runoffs, there is no way to tell if the engine is compliant.
Really? The words "stock" and "as built by Ford" aren't to be considered a specification? A specification that can be verified by an OEM workshop manual?

Appendix F has what is needed to police those engines: "Stock – In the exact same state or location as supplied by the original manufacturer."

But then again, how would I know since my understanding of the rules is so rudimentary.

By the way, the last thing I have seen published regarding AS lower control arms was in Jan 19: "5. #25691 (David Mead) Request to Allow Solid Axle Cars to Replace OEM Rear Control Arms Thank you for your request. OEM rear control arms and their OEM stock mounting locations have been requirements since the inception of the class. The CRB has no plans to change this." If that is being changed feel free to tell me where it is in writing.

Just so everybody can rest easy in AS I will send in a CRB request to specifically add the SMG to the RP rule that requires the factory workshop manual.
Old 06-21-2019, 08:16 PM

This controversy over teching an SMG car is completely uncalled for. In perusing the rules for AS once again I find that there already exists a rule that requires OEM parts under: "C. SPECIFICATIONS 1. To maintain the restricted basis of American Sedan, updating and/ or backdating of components is only permitted within cars of the same make/model and listed on a single American Sedan Specification line. Any updated/backdated components shall be substituted as a complete assembly. No interchange of parts between assemblies is permitted, and all parts of an assembly shall be as originally produced for that assembly. No permitted or alternate component or modification shall additionally perform a prohibited function. 2. Cars are classified by year, make, model and/or engine displacement (see Section E., “Car Classification”). a. Restricted Preparation American Sedan cars must provide their Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), upon request from any SCCA official, for the purpose of identifying the year in which the car was built. The VIN number shall not be used for any other purpose. 3. The SCCA shall specify the minimum weight for each classified car, as qualified or raced, with driver. Ballast is permitted. 4. Cars potentially eligible for Restricted Preparation may be required to run in Touring for at least two years before being classified in American Sedan. Cars not classified in Touring will be considered, on an individual basis, when adequate information is available to determine correct specifications. 5. Where Factory Specifications are absent or unclear, SCCA may establish an acceptable dimension and/or tolerance from known stock parts. 6. All rules referencing OEM parts, unless specified in these rules, must be unmodified OEM parts. The SMG classification in AS bounces to their own ruleset which in turn requires "stock" and "as delivered" and since I doubt that anybody would be so foolish as to argue "stock" and OEM don't mean the same thing the SMG cars are already subject to the Ford workshop manual specs.
Old 06-21-2019, 08:22 PM

Here is the request I sent to the CRB.

Hopefully the AS community will find it adequate to establish that the SMG cars will be restricted to the OEM engine making the 315rwhp that their rules allow.

Of course, if somebody cheats... but then, who's to say the FP AS cars are running legal at any given time... Theoretically, Runoffs tech will prevail.

Letter ID Number: #27140
Title: Add SMG to 9.1.6.B.1 AS Intent
Class: AS
Request: Please add the SMG classification to the INTENT portion that specifies restricted prep cars must have a factory workshop manual or equivalent available at all events.

There seems to be a misconception that there is no way to tech SMG engines