Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Main American Sedan Categories > American Sedan Technical

Old 04-03-2007, 08:55 PM
Walther

Default GCR Confusion

A little help with a few questions

OK, I have been back and forth through the GCR, can anybody tell me if open faced helmets are allowed or not in AS?

I made a custom, stockcar styled steering column with a quick disconnect, did I exceed the rules?

If I used a 4" tall air cleaner and blocked off the lower inch, is that legal?

Is there a octane limit in AS? Can I run 108 Cam2?

These are the first of many,
Thanks!!

Mark
CFR
Old 04-03-2007, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by as18

OK, I have been back and forth through the GCR, can anybody tell me if open faced helmets are allowed or not in AS?

ANY SNELL SA 2000 OR LATER HELMET IS LEGAL. (I think there are several open face helmets that fall within that certification) Or a SFI 31.1a for other open face helmets.

I made a custom, stockcar styled steering column with a quick disconnect, did I exceed the rules?

ATTACHING A QUICK DISCONNECT TO THE STOCK COLUMN IS LEGAL. REPLACING THE COLUMN IS NOT.

If I used a 4" tall air cleaner and blocked off the lower inch, is that legal?

"ANY OPEN-SIDED, CLOSED-TOP AIR CLEANER ASSEMBLY WITH A FILTER ELEMENT HAVING A MAXIMUM DIAMETER OF 14" AAND A MAXIMUM HEIGHT OF 3" IS REQUIRED." That one is pretty simple. If the filter element is more than 3", it is illegal.

Is there a octane limit in AS? Can I run 108 Cam2?

No octane limit. The limit is on oxygenators in the fuel. We run the 110 or AVgas 110LL.

These are the first of many,
Thanks!!

Mark
CFR
Hope this helps.
wheel
Old 04-04-2007, 01:45 PM
Walther

Uh--oh. Big problems then. Not only do I have a single 5/8" shaft and heim joint as a steering column, but it would be MAJOR surgery to put a stock one back in. Now what? Can I still run?
Old 04-04-2007, 02:28 PM

Well, it won't be legal, but I don't think anyone would bitch too much until you win a national race with it. You can replace the joints down on the bottom end of the column, but the rest has to be there. You could go to a junk yard and pick up the top end pretty cheaply. I have several laying around here (Chevy) and you could have one for shipping costs, if you can't find a cheap one locally.
wheel
Old 04-04-2007, 02:52 PM
Kevin P. McClain

Quote:
Originally Posted by as18

I wear an open face Bell helmet...never had any problems in tech.You must wear a balaclava if you have any facial hair...if you're clean shaven it's optional.
Old 04-04-2007, 05:13 PM
Ackjazz

Thumbs down Not so fast...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwheeler
Well, it won't be legal, but I don't think anyone would bitch too much until you win a national race with it.
I see that point, Wheel, but I disagree. Blatent rule infractions lead to less blatent ones, gray areas and interpretation. Why risk going to a track KNOWING you are illegal? In fact, it shows disrespect for the class and lacks sportsmanship. We should all play by the same rules and police ourselves.

Some argue that it's a dumb rule and that it's not a competitive advantage - so it should be okay to just do it anyhow. And, many would argue that it IS a competitive advantage.

Either way, it doesn't matter. It's a rule that is very clear, and if you run in the points at a national race, you are going to want a legal car. Because if you score points that take away points from a legal car while qualifying for the runoffs - you'll have a huge problem and will have a black mark placed on your reputation. And there is no reason you should have to do that to yourself. Fix it, be legal, and have a blast!

Good luck!

Ack
Old 04-04-2007, 06:21 PM

Scott,
I, personally, wouldn't run with it. If you read my response, I said, I didn't think anyone would bitch too much, and I think that is true. I also offered to send him a stock one for nothing.
Jim
Old 04-04-2007, 11:37 PM
Walther

thanks for the responses guys. I have fallen into the gray area. i see NO competitve advantage to it. I even bought an aftermarket collapsible shaft. I called the CFR tech guy who said- guess what- nobody will bitch about it at the regional level- so don't sweat it. If, and it's a big if- I qualify for the nationals- I will go in a '06 Mustang. A local Ford dealer that used to sponsor me (in another sanctioning body) has one that is totaled by water damage. He said to show him some wins regionally and I can have it. So- me and my illegal steering column will proceed. I would REALLy have to hack some stuff up to get a stock one back in. Dash bar, intersecting stayrods, you name it. It just pisses me off that I didn't realize it sooner. I had one and tossed it. A lesson learned.

Thanks again fellas.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:56 AM
Ackjazz

Default Sorry Jim...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwheeler
Scott,
I, personally, wouldn't run with it. If you read my response, I said, I didn't think anyone would bitch too much, and I think that is true. I also offered to send him a stock one for nothing.
Jim
Jim,

I'm sorry, man. I didn't mean to imply that you would run with it or that you condone a known illegal part. I know you wouldn't run that - I'm sorry if my post came off wrong. Your offer to mail a free one once again shows how nice of a guy you are and what an asset you are to our class.

My post (rant) was not directed towards you (or Mark) at all. It was meant as a general commentary. In Cen-Div, that exact issue (illegal steering column) has come up a few times - and people did bitch (nobody cried though, so that's good).

What I was trying to say was I don't think we should look the other way about illegal parts - I just think an obvious infraction can lead to more creative violations that are not as obvious. That's what was found on the cars that had the column removed around here.

I understand some people put a car on the track for fun, and not worry about winning. I like adding cars to the field. I'm not trying to be the Soup Nazi here, but if a cheater car gets fast, then others will either talk crap about that driver, or throw paper. I doubt that would happen if the car was legal in the first place.

I think, at least in GLD and Cen-Div, there has been a lot of beer talk about whether or not protest or throw paper on cars that are clearly not legal. So my post really has more to do with trying to keep cars GCR legal so we don't have silly issues that become rotten ones after the race.

Just my thoughts.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:23 AM

Scott, all good points, with which I totally agree.

When I built my first AS car, in 93, there were a lot of illegal things wrong with it. Solid motor mounts comes to mind, for one. At the first race, a competitor pointed out the illegal motor mounts. As I recall, I ran them another racer or two, before I could get the time to change them to the stock mounts. Was that the right thing to do? No, but I wanted to race.
Bill Tucker's car had a bunch of illegal stuff, when he first bought it. No headlights and the headlight covers attached to the hood, brake ducts through the inner fender wells, stuff like that. The other AS guys, myself included, pointed out the obvious stuff and gave him plenty of time to get it all squared away. Nobody ever protested anybody and no stewards ever became involved, yet all the cars ended up legal.