Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Main American Sedan Categories > American Sedan Race Results

Old 06-05-2016, 06:50 AM

Default Split start at Mid-O Major

Race one group 7
Was a predictable Disaster!
Old 06-05-2016, 07:22 AM

54 car starting field

With an extreamly small grid area.
Add rain
And the slickest snotty race surface.
A few first group cars arrive after the 5 min warning . Were sent out in the middle of group #2 .

More than a few cars slid off track on pace lap.

Race was red flagged before the start. To clean up the pace lap crashes.

Miss information about the start flag restart location. Would take place.

Less than one lap of green flag racing
Checker the disaster. After lap #2
And scoop up a pile of wrecked race cars

Old 06-05-2016, 09:24 AM

And to think I was feeling sorry for myself that my car wasn't back together and I had to miss the 13-hr tow to make it for this race.
Old 06-05-2016, 05:48 PM

Default Cograts

To Philip, Brian and Tom for their podium finishes. And, congrats to all for the great AS turnout.
Old 06-06-2016, 10:57 AM

Mother Nature, too many cars and a worn out race track

What a weekend. Group 7 was under threat of rain both days. Saturday was wet and what a total mess. Some GT cars went out on drys and they could not make it around the track for the pace lap. Spinning cars everywhere. Never went green and they brought us in under black flag. After about 15 minutes brought us out double file for some unknown reason and restarted us on the back straight. Never saw the green and started racing when Brian Wallace flew by me. Took off chasing for 1 lap and then Andy, Tom Sloe and A GT car had an issue on the exit of 1. GT car spun big surprise and collected Andy really hard. They put the checker out and that was it on Saturday. Glad to have made it out of that mess with no damage.

30 minutes before Sundays race it was raining. It stopped and then the sun came out. I suspect that Tom, Brian and I all had made some suspension changes in anticipation of the rain. That did not work out well. We all put drys and and went racing. Everything started ok and with Tom in the lead then me followed by Brian. Then Beth had an issue and the track got oiled down bad which caused them to bring us in for 10 minutes while they cleaned up the track and retrieved Beth's car.

Back out and Tom and I got the green in Madness and we were back at it. My car was like a mid 70's mini van but just kept at it and Tom when off drivers right exiting Thunder valley and I had to slow up a bit while I figured out where he was going to reenter the track. Then I got a good run on him out of 1 and he when off in the gravel at the top of the key hole and Brian and I raced down the back straight and I was able to stay ahead of Brian. I turned all 1:37s in my mini van and was able to keep Tom and Brian behind me and get the win.

We raced about 21 laps in total for two races. Mid Ohio is crazy slick in the wet and needs some major work to bring it back to glory. It is a faded tracked more similar to Nelson Ledges then a world class motorsports facility. The Runoffs are going to be a real challenge. Had lots of first timers to Mid Ohio this weekend and it showed. Very difficult track to go fast on.

Andy's Q time of 1:33.8 was amazing. Until you have driven at Mid O you have no idea how fast that is in one of our cars. Andy you are the Man and from the trap speeds looks like the off season motor program was a success.

Great seeing everyone and some really fun racing. Congrates to Tom and Brian and everyone else.

Next stop The Glen.
Old 06-06-2016, 02:28 PM
slowfrc

Anyone have any video? I think there is a lack of A sedan videos online compared to other classes.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:36 AM

Thinking about how to salvage the track before the runnoffs.

Grinding the surface ?

I am not in the biz. But if it was metal , I would sand blast it.

Is it to late to move the event ?

And Phil , I would prefer the wet racing surface @ Nelson Ledges to mud Ohio in it's currant state
Old 06-07-2016, 10:12 AM
AS_74

Couldn't agree more with the sandblasting analogy. The surface is terrible at Mid Ohio and in the wet, well let's just call it ice racing.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:32 AM
AS_74

Phillip, Don't be to fast to pick on Nelson Ledges. At least the racing surface, which is still the fastest average mph 'Road Race' track in North America. Nelson is now available for track day rental, with some restrictions. It also has outstanding grip in the rain. fyi Tom
Old 06-07-2016, 11:05 AM

Tom:

I agree that the surface at NL is pretty good and the rain grip is great. There has been a lack of investment in infrastructure just like Mid Ohio. BTW watched some in car video and our cars were leaning a bit.

Last edited by smithpr; 06-07-2016 at 11:19 AM.