Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Misc > Polls

View Poll Results: Should AS Full Preparation cars have a sealed crate engine option?
Yes 19 51.35%
No 18 48.65%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-03-2013, 05:43 PM

Pam:

Maybe! It all depends on what kind of shape the LP motor is in that you are starting with. Like you said earlier, this is just a proposed option. I'm thinking out loud and throwing thoughts on the wall.

Darryl
Old 04-03-2013, 05:49 PM

Pam:

My thought was to allow the motor as an option for FP cars but the prep rules would be in the same spirit as the RP engine rules. Does that make sense?

Darryl
Old 04-03-2013, 07:28 PM

Default Your question

Darryl --

I'm interested in expanding all ideas. I do have a question. If you say the motor must be sealed, hence the in-erds must stay they same, why would you apply RP engine rules to the sealed crate motors? There's a fair amount we now allow for RP engines that would remove the sealed idea, like overbore pistons, among others.

I'm glad you are thinking out loud, please continue. But, remember the idea was to buy a sealed crate motor that drops in and you go racing. Allowing RP engine rules could mean you could remove seals, to say put in overbore pistons, and up the cost again.

Whadoyathink?

Pam
Old 04-03-2013, 07:50 PM

Pam:

Using the 604 as an example, parts, part numbers, and dimensions must remain as published by GM on the GM 604 spec sheet. No overbore allowed. The oil pan seal is going to be broken when a road race oil pan is installed, unless installed and resealed by a third party. I'm suggesting, let the competitor install the oil pan and do his own maintenance with 604 spec parts. The engine dimensions, bore, deck height, c/r, parts, etc must remain as spec'd on the 604 spec sheet.

Darryl
Old 04-03-2013, 08:31 PM

Default Then...

Darryl --

My personal view is then that it is not a sealed crate motor, it is a regular crate motor. And costs will go up. And the potential for all kinds of motors is higher (not that the sealed motor is perfectly immune to tampering).

Actually, I don't vote on these things, but, certainly you do. I just finished the prelims for the minutes that will be out April 20, so please keep your pen handy and send us a letter, you are welcome to even when we post the prelims, which I hope we can do by this weekend.

My personal view (again, not a vote) is that its either a sealed crate motor or we open up all the engine rules to a lot more stuff and we escalate costs even more and teching the stuff becomes more of an issue.

Just MHO. pam
Old 04-03-2013, 11:03 PM

Pam:

I'll look forward to the official proposal and the oil pan solution.

Thanks,

Darryl
Old 04-07-2013, 01:11 AM

Default wont hurt to try

I'm not against the idea of letting it be an option if that's the way a person wants to try and run. If it helps with the car count then that's always a good thing. It wouldn't be my choice to run one, but I just love seeing more AS cars on the track. Its a great class, and a great bunch of guy's racing in it. Hell look at what guy's are spending on spec Miata motors that are suppose to be all stock, and you'll see that our engines aren't that bad compared to them. I look at all those guy's in that class that have as much or more tied up in a spec Miata and think, boy there missing out because they could race in AS for that price. I just want to see more car count because it make for more excitement out on the track. Fred Gaulter

Last edited by z28musclehead; 04-07-2013 at 01:14 AM. Reason: miss spelling