Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Main American Sedan Categories > American Sedan Rules

Old 05-04-2010, 03:09 PM
PRO SYSTEMS

Default Race on E85, it pays for itself......

Canada has banned leaded racing fuel EFFECTIVE now.

So there is a mad dash to convert their race cars from race gas to either Alcohol or E85.

Engines under 13:1 compression can easily run on E85.

American Sedan should review this information and they will see the concept pays for itself in one year INCLUDING the price of the carburetor.

PLUS its an environmentally friendly fuel (less hazardous vapors) and your car will run 20-30 degrees cooler.

Racing gasoline 300 gallons per year at 10 bucks a gallon = $3000.00

E85 390 gallons per year at 3 bucks a gallon = $1560.00

An E85 carburetor $990.00.

Savings in one year $540.00

Something to think about as Canada is already in motion on this program.

Patrick James
PRO SYSTEMS
Old 05-04-2010, 03:14 PM
PRO SYSTEMS

Sorry I went back and adjusted my E85 price to an Even number and did not correct my final math....final savings $450.00

Patrick James
PRO SYSTEMS
Old 05-04-2010, 03:29 PM
King Matt

You may need to add the cost of a new fuel cell into that equation, because that stuff can destroy many of the materials used for the bladders in short order.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:39 PM
PRO SYSTEMS

Default hmmm....

Any specific info on that?

Suppliers, brands that are experiencing this condition would be helpful.

I know that Jaz and Fuel Safe claim their cells are compatible. The Enduro racing cells and the Pro Cells are listed.

Most circle track fuel cell suppliers (we sell to a huge contingent of circle track racers) also race on alky in some races and then back to gas for other races for years. So almost all of their suppliers state that their cells are compatible with Alcohol, E85 and Gasoline.

I am sure there are exceptions, if you know of any that you have experienced issue with, post the info to help a racer out.

The good news....you can still include a free new fuel cell in your pricing and still be ahead.

New free carb, new free cell, cooler running engine....looks pretty good.

The following year...it really gets the price down.

Thanks.

Patrick James
PRO SYSTEMS
Old 05-04-2010, 05:03 PM
King Matt

From the FAQs page on Fuel Safe's website:

Quote:
Alcohol - (Methanol,Ethanol) This fuel requires specific materials and aluminum hardware to be treated. This fuel can be harmful to certain items such as safety foam and certain bladder materials.
http://www.fuelsafe.com/faqs.htm

I'm sure there is more specific info available if you call them, but I know many racers have had problems running even E10 blended pump gas in various brands of fuel cells, especially older ones.

The Enduro cells from Fuel Safe I would expect to be compatible, as they are basically blow-molded plastic, but the problems I've heard of are very common with some of the older coated fabric bladders.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:31 PM
PRO SYSTEMS

Yea, this is the same thing we ran into 25 years ago when alky became all the rage. The foam and bladders were not compatible, so foam and cells were developed that were compatible with alky.

A Fuel Safe rep stated: Alcohol/Methanol have the highest resistance requirements so all the cells that are alky compatible are also E85 compatible.

This rep also stated: If they have built it for circle track or road racing in the last 20 years its compatible.

So all in all a very high percentage of the folks that have bought a cell in the last 20 years are looking pretty good. As the rep stated many of the other players in the industry followed suit.

Patrick James
PRO SYSTEMS
Old 05-04-2010, 05:39 PM
Administrator

So, for $990 I could switch to E85 pump gas and still have the same or better performance, run cooler, and help the environment? That's VERY intriguing! What about pumps, lines, and other fuel system components? I haven't kept up with the fuel ruel changes very well. Are we even allowed to run E85?

Thanks for the info Patrick. I'll have to give this some major consideration.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:46 PM

We have the CRB meeting tonight. If there is time, I will check with the board's fuel expert, and see what he says about E85.
wheel
Old 05-04-2010, 06:10 PM
PRO SYSTEMS

On my A/Sedan engine I gained about 8-12 h.p. on the chassis dyno over a few pulls..so not a lot of power...BUT it cooled down like a monster...it ran 180 degrees all the time...used to run 200.

I have 2-holley RED fuel pumps (that siphon from opposing corners), braided fuel lines and a Fuel Safe cell. I just poured it in, put an E85 carb on... went up 7 degrees on timing and away I went.

It was that easy. Cheap fuel, safer vapor, cooler running engine and no mods required...just a timing adjustment and a carburetor.

I burned about 30 percent more fuel in comparison.

But the stuff is so cheap...who cares.

Patrick James
PRO SYSTEMS
Old 05-04-2010, 07:51 PM

So what is an E85 carb?