Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Main American Sedan Categories > American Sedan Technical

Old 04-06-2009, 04:55 PM
fairlane_68

Default Ballast

Attached is an illustration that was sent out to discuss weight and ballast installation. There were many entries in logbooks this weekend at HMRC, with ballast issues being the most frequent. And judging from that, there may need to be a clarification from the CRB, or I would guess that. I was able to find in the GCR pretty easily how ballast is supposed to be attached and what the limits are concerning ballast, but I guess some folks like to interpret things their own way. Like taking a wrecked and salvaged '01 car, sticking a '99 motor in it, and registering it as a '99.

That being said, what's wrong with this picture?

Old 04-06-2009, 05:21 PM

So, where does it say how it should be mounted? Better to post the sections, etc. to help everyone find it easily.
wheel
Old 04-06-2009, 05:42 PM

For what it's worth. 9.3.8 of the GCR says: "BALLAST - Ballast may be added to all cars as required, to meet minimum weight, provided it is securely mounted within the bodywork and serves no other purpose."
That is the only rule governing ballast for all cars. Individual Car Specifications, like Spec Miata, or Formula, may have their own requirements for how and where to mount ballast. American Sedan does not have any rules about ballast, other than 9.3.8.
wheel
Old 04-06-2009, 07:08 PM

There is nothing wrong with the way it's mounted if it's steel ballast.

If it's lead or a soft metal, you should have a washer under the nut too.

On a lighter note, if how the ballast is mounted is tech's only gripe, that's a successful inspection to me.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:22 PM

Although I agree with you, and would never mount anything, much less lead, without a large washer, I think what he is referring to is the Spec Miata rule, which states that each bar must be mounted separately. In the case of the photo, there are two bars mounted together. It would not be legal for SM.
But, according to the GCR, there is no such requirement for ASedan. At least not yet.
wheel
Old 04-06-2009, 07:29 PM
fairlane_68

Correct, sir.

But, in section 9.1.3.9.l (I think I got that right), IT Category Specs, this is used:

l. Ballast may be used. All ballast shall be located in the front passenger footwell/seating area, aft of the firewall and any footwell angle, and forward of the aft-edge of the forward-most passenger door opening, unless otherwsie specified on the vehicle’s spec line. OEM front passenger seat location.
1. It shall be in segments no heavier than fifty (50) pounds, and shall be capable of being removed to be weighed apart from the car.
2. Each segment shall be fastened with a minimum of two (2) one-half (1/2) inch bolts and positive lock nuts of SAE Grade 5 or better, and shall utilize large-diameter, load-distributing washers.
3. Holes may be drilled in the front passenger footwell/seating area floorpan for purposes of mounting the ballast (only), and said floorpan may be reinforced as required for the same purpose.

Even though that is in the IT specs, and the Showroom Stock spec concerning ballast isn't much different, this is what HQ considers the benchmark standard for the use of ballast and how it is to be secured. The only classes not included by the above are the Formula and Sports Racers, and SRF's. Hal Williams (TX Region tech and SM compliance enforcer) had the clarification in print form at impound, and Group 4 was held at impound well after the 30-minute requirement over this.

I put this here because most, if not all, AS cars have ballast added to them, and not all of them are secured the same way, let alone use the same material as ballast. Like most of the cars at HMRC this weekend, I had planned to use stacked barbell weights for ballast. Turns out, that may be illegal.

Last edited by fairlane_68; 04-06-2009 at 07:34 PM. Reason: jacked-up formatting
Old 04-06-2009, 07:38 PM

Welllll. IT rules do not apply to ASedan. It is going to take a new rule to make this rule apply to ASedan. I think the ASAC is going to have to discuss this, since my battery and data are in that location and my ballast is where your butt would be, if you were sitting in the back seat on the right.
wheel
Old 04-06-2009, 08:12 PM
Dawson Motorsports

Besides, there is not enough flat spaces to mount a large amount of ballast.
On my car, with the big motor, I have to add a 160lbs.
We just need to change the rules, and I'll find a 20 year old young lady to ride along. I'd put a passenger seat in for that.
If nothing else, if she was topless, I could cause alot of confusion during a race. Can you say, Flash-em as you Pass-em.
Ok, just dreaming.
Chuck
Old 04-06-2009, 08:55 PM
fairlane_68

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwheeler
Welllll. IT rules do not apply to ASedan. It is going to take a new rule to make this rule apply to ASedan. I think the ASAC is going to have to discuss this, since my battery and data are in that location and my ballast is where your butt would be, if you were sitting in the back seat on the right.
wheel
I know, nor do they apply to Spec Miata, T2, or whoever else. But so much stink was being made over it that impound started to smell as if someone was cooking collard greens.

I think what they were going after was that some people had 75 or more pounds stacked, in 25 pound increments, and had only one or two bolts securing it in place. One driver had four plates held in with a single carriage bolt, and that may have been what started it all...because the Chief Steward was the one who caught it. I don't think it's about location as much as it is about being safely secured, and preventing a 25 pound chunk from becoming a 400 pound missile in a crash.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:23 PM

Securely mounted, is what the rule says and only a moron would race with a bunch of steel or lead held in with a single bolt. Darwin award contender.