Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Main American Sedan Categories > American Sedan Rules

Old 01-30-2019, 11:51 AM

T3 was able to keep them out with letters and social media posts according to the announcement. We have been doing it all wrong.
Old 01-30-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwheeler View Post
To Ted's comment about dynos. When have we ever seen a dyno at the Runoffs for tech? Never. Will SCCA now have to provide a dyno to make sure the SMG cars are really compliant, since there are no specs for the engines, other than the statement that they must remain stock and produce only XX horsepower? As Ted said, "Unless they are fudging the dynos" Indeed. Not sure why the T2 SMG cars at Sonoma turn faster lap times than the top 4 ASedans. Not sure why Fandozzi couldn't stay with the SMG car at the Sonoma Majors, even though his car destroyed Sean Gray's lap record at Hallett on his first time on that track. Also not sure why his car now gets a cam, for another 40? or so horsepower. This should be interesting.
We haven't had Andy run hallett to see what's possible
Old 01-30-2019, 01:58 PM

That's not the point. They aren't giving Andy 40 hp.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:10 PM

Looks like Fandozi was 2 seconds off of JH and Andy qualifying times. Maybe he needs the 40 hp?
Old 01-30-2019, 09:29 PM

Cant use trap speeds at sonoma because of poorly placed speed traps but here is the top MPH from INDY between heinracy and Kevin

Heinrockt: 147.052 mph
Fandozzi: 146.323 mph

Now their best lap times
HEinrocket: 1:51.577
Fandozzi: 1:52.426

So im assuming Kevin needs the 40 HP to make up for the fact the Heinrocket is outdriving him in the corners in the same Generation of GM Pony car?

Seems to me that we are taking the info that a level 8 driver should be given 40 hp to catch a level 10 driver.

Shame on you heinrocket. You need to work on not being so fast!
Old 01-30-2019, 09:30 PM

I think the point is full prep as much as we like it has priced itself out of the market. Has anyone built a full prep car in the past 5 years? Does anyone plan to build one in the next 5? Now if and it is a big if you can give limited prep an additional 40 hp (your number) and allow them to run up front just maybe we can get some interest in building new cars at a lower price point. Look back at the size of the runoffs field in the Mid Ohio days vs today. The class is not healthy....yea I know they have been running on the west coast but 0 cars at Blackhawk last year and 1 (from Michigan) at Road Atlanta...

Tom
Full Prep Camaro
Old 01-31-2019, 08:01 AM

Absolutley! I have one third gen going together now and if the CRB will finally let it go through a 5th gen will be started very soon.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:31 AM

I think they should at least try to keep the FP cars competitive. There are still people wanting to run them. Are there going to be all these people running to build these new AS cars? We need to keep the cars we do have. The production classes have old MGs running with new Miatas and it looks like close competition. I think Wheeler is on track with his letters to CRB. So who thinks letters to CRB will still have an effect? I will write them if I think someone is listening but that last letter from the board seems like they want to do their own thing.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:40 AM

Danny's car is a new build, if you define new as last 2 years or so, right Danny?

JB has a number of new build RP cars, that all run in his Waterford hills empire.

Someone somewhere else asked me how come Kevin has enough pull to get the rules blatantly adjusted in favor of his car. I think that the answer to that is to say look who is now the chairman of the CRB, and note that same person is now the Liaison to the AS adhoc.

Peter and Kevin go way back, and have been co conspirators in a lot of things a lot of people consider questionable over the years. Especially in the old SS, and Touring.

I will note that it is this same combination that killed all of the work done in terms of FI options for FP cars, and other things we were exploring in an effort to simplify and reduce long term costs. (and yes, I know that any change like we were exploring has up front costs, and there would be people happy, and people complaining. All I can say is that we were NOT handing HP and advantages to any one or any car, what we wanted to try and accomplish was going to be as speed neutral as possible, with an eye towards reduced costs over time due to reliability. it may have been a total cluster frack, but it wasn't favoritism.)
Old 01-31-2019, 08:48 AM

I will also say that the FI option was aimed at people who don't have, or cannot afford, top end Andy/John power FP motors. You could buy a used motor from Ebay, with an ECU, and get years of reliability and power. That is an over simplification, since there are adapters and other costs, but you could do it.

Reasonable and pretty smart people disagreed on various aspects, but it was all in discussion.