Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Main American Sedan Categories > American Sedan General

Old 06-11-2019, 01:22 PM

I see several potential problems unique to AS with this plan:

As a class with no ABS flatspotting tires and needing replace more than 1 at a time is a very real possibility. Need 2 tires? Boom, go to the back. Going to the back? Might as well change all 4. Now, that isn't actually the end of the world, because:

Given the relatively small AS fields at most races I can see some of the competitors deciding to bolt on a new set of tires and starting at the back. Very little penalty in that when you are only a couple rows back from the AS polesitter. At the Mid O race the Sunday grid had all the AS cars within 5 rows. Anybody think that McDermid or Heinrecy wouldn't take the penalty for a new set of rubber?

Finally, the restricted prep cars with correctly sized wheels aren't going to fall off nearly as much. We easily get 5 sessions out of the A7s with proper management.

Just my opinion.
Old 06-11-2019, 02:34 PM

I agree with dhrmx5 that this won't probably stop the big dogs from using new tires. Why didn't the R compound rule stick?
Old 06-11-2019, 02:40 PM

Default Why?

Matt --

It was voted down by the BOD, at the time it was presented. It was re-done and in preparation to present it again, the indications were that no matter what, it would not pass. There were a lot of politics going on, that is all I will say. If others want to chime in with more details, they are welcome.

Quite frankly, in about the last 3 years of the old ASAC, a fair amount of proposals were stopped, either at the BOD level or the CRB level.

Gee, makes it seem like the old ASAC was..... (fill in your favorite words).

Pam
Old 06-11-2019, 03:09 PM

To clarify Pam's comments. The BoD approved the rule, in concept, but wanted the ASAC/CRB to change the implementation because the original rule had, as I recall, different dates for Majors and Regionals to allow people to use their old tires up. There was extensive WDYT and member input in favor of the rule and the BoD was fine with it. A month or two later, when I came back to the BoD meeting with the modified proposal, I did not have any of the research or data with me, as all that we were dealing with was the implementation plan. I was ambushed in the BoD meeting by two new BoD members who revisited the whole rule. Since I did not have the information to battle them, the BoD shot us down. It was the worst hosing that I experienced in my 9 years on the CRB.

P.S. Part of what they hit me with was that one of the listed tires was no longer being made. They were available when the WDYT went out and you could still buy them from Tire Rack, but they were no longer listed with the manufacturer.

Last edited by jimwheeler; 06-11-2019 at 03:53 PM.
Old 06-11-2019, 06:05 PM

Default Again--

Dave-
Please re-read what was mentioned in the previous posts--
In myself and Aaron's 10 years racing in A Sedan, we never flatspotted any tires. A rule like this may actually get guys to take better care of their tires and save themselves money!
The rule mentioned didn't allow ANY replacement tires to be NEW!! only used replacements! NO NEW REPLACEMENTS!
There was NO mention of "going to the back of the grid"
The Restricted prep cars are no"easier" on tires than any other A Sedan--they are all close to the same weight and very similar tire sizes. Drivers are easier on tires.

pbfoot--Would you really not want a rule because a manufacturer might remove some support???

Wow---
Old 06-11-2019, 07:30 PM

Although there was lots of discussion about restricting the number of tires you could use on a race weekend, there never was a rule proposal concerning marking tires or restricting how many tires are used during a weekend. The only rule proposal was for requiring, basically, R compound tires and not allowing A compound.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:13 PM

[QUOTE=DBailey;35400]Dave-
Please re-read what was mentioned in the previous posts--
In myself and Aaron's 10 years racing in A Sedan, we never flatspotted any tires. A rule like this may actually get guys to take better care of their tires and save themselves money!
The rule mentioned didn't allow ANY replacement tires to be NEW!! only used replacements! NO NEW REPLACEMENTS!
There was NO mention of "going to the back of the grid"
The Restricted prep cars are no"easier" on tires than any other A Sedan--they are all close to the same weight and very similar tire sizes. Drivers are easier on tires.

Pardon me for following the link and reading the proposal on Mazdaracers. They do mention going to the back for 2 or more tires. They still stipulate used tires BUT...

Soooo, I have to park my car if I don't like the tires that are on it? There's no mechanism by which I can put different tires on of my choosing and continue to race? That isn't going to fly. I don't pack around a bunch of spare tires. In my paddock we refer to our tires by vintage, not heat cycles. I keep my supply fresh by scrounging at the Hoosier truck. If the guys don't win enough tires during the season they don't have new tires for the Runoffs...

As for wheel size not being a significant factor, I am going to have to beg to differ.

Good luck convincing guys that this is a good idea.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:00 PM

I want the R rule back. Just saying. I don't care if they are new or old as long as everyone uses the same compound. None of it really effects me anyway cause I just use them until there's no more rubber left.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:25 PM

I was commenting on what was proposed and "passed" for ASedan, not for SM. The SM proposal never gained any traction with that class, and it was never a rule proposal for ASedan. Personally, I was in favor of the R tire rule, as it was recommended, and commented on by the members who race in this class. I just wanted to be clear what was on the table for our class. I like some of the other ideas, but they were never proposed for ASedan.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:31 AM

As I was the on that probably caused the issue with the R rule all I was really was asking was a longer chance to use up the A's. If they implemented the rule at the beginning of a year and gave a years notice I am fine with R's or even if they could do it right now so we now to use up what we have by the end of the year. My problem was, based on my race schedule, I knew I was going to have unused A's from the previous season. I am in favor of running R's as everybody is, with the exception of the last year.