Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Main American Sedan Categories > American Sedan General

Old 10-16-2008, 03:04 PM
Kevin P. McClain

Default Julow Gone Feb 2009

From the Prod Site...

SCCA Begins Search Process for Executive Succession

TOPEKA, Kan. (Oct. 16, 2008) – Sports Car Club of America’s Board of Directors announced today that it has begun a process to find the Club’s next president. Current SCCA President and CEO Jim Julow informed the Board of his intention to leave the post at the end of his three-year contract, February 1, 2009.

“While we were saddened to hear that Jim will not be extending his contract, change brings opportunity,” SCCA Chairman R.J. Gordy said. “Jim has brought tremendous business operations acumen to the position, and we believe it has changed the business side of the Club in a very positive manner. We now look ahead to the opportunity to expand on what Jim has brought the last three years.”

Julow intends to serve his full contract that named him to the post in 2006.

“I will do everything I can to help transition SCCA to its next president,” Julow said. “It is a great organization with great members, and I will miss the interaction with the individuals that make the Club special. However, over the last several months, it has become clear that the Board and I disagree on the amount of change the Club needs and the pace at which that change needs to occur. For that reason, we differ philosophically, and it’s best for the Club and its future to make a change moving forward that will bring the board and its president much more into alignment.”

The new executive search will be led by a search committee, made up of members of the current SCCA Board of Directors with outside counsel. The Board has also determined a slight change in the duties of the position, including a title change to president and chief operating officer.

“We are seeking candidates with a strong background in marketing and business operations, as well as a solid understanding and appreciation of the Club’s culture,” Gordy said. “The president and COO will lead the staff in executing the policy set forth by the Board of Directors.”

Interested parties should e-mail resumes to presidentsearch@scca.com or fax to (785) 862-7190.

SCCA
Founded in 1944, Sports Car Club of America, Inc. is a 50,000-plus member motorsports organization that incorporates all facets of autocross, rally and road racing at both club and professional levels. It annually sanctions over 2,000 events through its 113 regions and professional subsidiary. Landmark events and series for the Club include the SCCA SPEED World Challenge Championships, the Club Racing National Championship Runoffs®, and The Tire Rack® SCCA Solo National Championships and ProSolo Championship. For more information, please visit www.scca.com.
Old 10-16-2008, 03:47 PM

Andy McDermid for President
Old 10-16-2008, 04:02 PM
Kevin P. McClain

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwheeler
Now that's an idea I can get used to !!

This paragraph is the one that interests me the most...

Quote:
“I will do everything I can to help transition SCCA to its next president,” Julow said. “It is a great organization with great members, and I will miss the interaction with the individuals that make the Club special. However, over the last several months, it has become clear that the Board and I disagree on the amount of change the Club needs and the pace at which that change needs to occur. For that reason, we differ philosophically, and it’s best for the Club and its future to make a change moving forward that will bring the board and its president much more into alignment.”
Old 10-16-2008, 04:03 PM
fairlane_68

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwheeler
+1

Burnouts now mandatory.
Old 10-16-2008, 04:11 PM

"Board and I disagree on the amount of change the Club needs and the pace at which that change needs to occur."

Now, the question is, did Mr. Julo want more change or less change than the BOD wanted? Did he want quicker change, or slower? The way he puts it, we have to guess.

wheel
Old 10-16-2008, 04:56 PM
King Matt

Considering that the release also states that the title of the position will change from President and Chief Executive Officer to President and Chief Operating Officer, I'd say the board wants to retain more control, which makes me also guess the current CEO wanted more change than the board.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:12 PM

That's the way I see it. It is very difficult to make changes, of any kind, in SCCA.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:46 PM

I wasn't a big Julow fan when he worked for Chrysler (I work for the financial arm) and had to do a few presentations to the Dodge Marketing Group. I was actually surprised when he came to the SCCA, I had no idea he was any type of a car guy. What shocked me most was his speech at the 2007 Run-Offs. It wasn't what he said, it was that he couldn't even get the attention of the group of his so called followers. Not a strong leadership characteristic. From what I saw (and maybe I'm wrong) he made absolutely no attempt to even try to mingle with the crowd after his presentation.

You are right...we need a racer, a strong voice, a leader! Andy for President!
And it may even pay pretty good.

Tom
#38 Camaro
Old 10-16-2008, 06:03 PM

At least Bill Johnson walked through the paddock during the Runoffs at MidO. I met him half a dozen times while he was President. He seemed to be very interested in the racers. The only time I met Julow was when we were going to interview him for "Shifting Gears". That interview didn't happen, although through no fault of his.
wheel
Old 10-16-2008, 06:11 PM

Agreed....Johnson made a real effort at Mid Ohio to come over and shake hands and talk about cars, racing and the future of SCCA. He also caught us drinking beers before racing was over and didn't bust us....didn't take one either which is another thing I liked. I leader that doesn't drink your beer!

Tom