Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Main American Sedan Categories > American Sedan Technical

Old 11-02-2013, 12:16 PM

I agree with Wheel on the improved access without the booster. Plus for me, I could never get the feel of braking with the booster, all of my previous autocrossing and track days had been in a manual brake car. First time I hit the brakes on the AS, I almost went off the track.

Having the booster gone has made doing a leak down check a 20 minute process instead of 1 hour, changing plugs, and even making sure those last two spark plug wires were on tight used to be a pain with the booster in the way. Now, super easy, you won't know how much better it is if you never fought with the booster.

Andy
Old 11-03-2013, 03:10 PM

Mopar,

I know you already have made your decision, but as an engineer, you must be able to reevaluate your position when new data becomes available.

There is a 1990 AS Camaro in this months sportscar complete with spares for $5000 or best offer. I can tell you without a doubt, you will have $1000 in materials for you roll cage, at least $600 for a fuel cell, anywhere from $500-$800 for a good seat. You could probably get the whole car for $4000 or $4500. Just check it out and give it some thought.

A complete and raceable car with spares for probably 1/2 of what you will have just in parts in your build. Plus you are on the track faster, and you can spend the rest of the money upgrades, race entry, tires, etc.

Just a thought, just a thought.....

Ultimately you have to decide what works best for you, we only want to see you and your car on the track as soon as possible, and we would just hate to see another partially finished project get thrown on the scrap heap.

And take it from someone who did just this. I bought a partially finished car, and by the time I got it on track and now have raced if for 5 years. It is my car. I have rebuilt, improved, repainted, and redesigned just about every square inch of it, so I can still proudly say that "I built the car"

Good Luck.

Andy
Old 08-19-2017, 05:28 PM

OK guys. I have a question. At the beginning of this thread, undercoating was brought up. Am I going to just pressure wash and then paint? Am I going to scrape all that off? Scrape where I need to? I have been out there for a while now and there is tar everywhere? I haven't even scratched the surface yet. Is there a tips and tricks for this? If I'm going to be scraping, break it to me gently. Thanks for your help in advance.
Bryan