Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Main American Sedan Categories > American Sedan News

Old 02-03-2005, 11:21 AM

Default Any news about new brakes ?

Is there any news about opening up our brake options ? Last I heard it was being discussed.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:18 PM
sfoltz

I believe they're still the same, the '05 rule book states the same specs. I haven't seen any changes from SCCA's Fastrack publication.

Could someone else chime in with more info, any plans to change them by 2006?

Thanks,
Sean
Old 02-03-2005, 08:38 PM

Default brakes

The brake issue and a few other things are currently being discussed by the ASedan advisory committee. Chris Herzog, who is on the committee, bought a suitable caliper and did a mock up of the slightly larger rotor. He checked everything out to see how it would work with the Mustang and sent the hardware to someone who is checking how it will work on the GM cars.
The new Fastrack is on line and there is no mention there because it hasn't come back to the board for action.
That's all I know at this time.
wheel
#20 ASedan
Old 02-03-2005, 10:16 PM
Administrator

The brake package status was breifly discussed during the club racing town hall meeting at the national convention this past weekend and Wheeler pretty much wrapped up what was said. A change is coming but it sounds like it will be awhile. I sounds like something will definitely be put together for 2006 though.
-Kopp
Old 02-03-2005, 11:02 PM
sfoltz

Would that change be 13" brakes (Cobra brakes for the Mustang crowd and ???? whatever the GM version is)? Also would it then allow 17" wheels to be used? This would be nice since this stuff is available easily.

Sean
Old 02-04-2005, 08:31 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfoltz
Would that change be 13" brakes (Cobra brakes for the Mustang crowd and ???? whatever the GM version is)? Also would it then allow 17" wheels to be used? This would be nice since this stuff is available easily.

Sean
Nope. Going to be "real" brakes - i.e. 4 piston race calipers and readily available rotors. If I'm not mistaken, the larger rotor Jim mentioned is just slightly larger. Circle trackers use a rotor that is just a tenth or two larger than 12" and they are cheap and easy to find. Race pads for the 4-piston calipers are cheaper, easier to find, and will last longer (at least that's what is being hoped for). Switching to this setup will hopefully lessen race-to-race brake expense enough to pay for the swap in a short time.
-Kopp
Old 02-04-2005, 08:58 AM
sfoltz

Would bigger wheels be in the mix or is the 16x8" max wheel going to stay?

Sean
Old 02-04-2005, 10:47 AM

Default brakes

The current proposal is for 12.25 inch by 1.25 inch rotors. That size may be off a little bit, but it is a size used by almost everyone except ASedan.
The 4 piston calipers may end up being spec'd by part numbers, or it may end up saying "any 4 piston calipers that will fit within the current 16x8 wheels". All of that is still on the table, as far as I know.
Same wheels, no cross drilling or slotting.
The idea is to improve the economy of the brakes without having to change anything else.
GT America cars (tube chassis, 350 cu.in., race tires) use this set-up and go forever without changing calipers and twice as long as we do before changing pads. The pads are also cheaper to buy.
I really don't see a great deal of additional stopping power, since we are limited by the tires in that respect, so you can still run the PBR's without a performance dis-advantage. There again, it is just speculation, we won't really know until we try them.
wheel
Old 02-04-2005, 05:08 PM

The expense would really hit people in the wallet if we were to go to 17" wheels. They would have to put a 17" max on the wheels so those of us who have 16's would be able to continue to run them. No need for 17's if the rotor does not go to 13". Alot of us already have several sets of wheels, personally speaking I have four. Look at the 05 Mustang it has to run all the same stuff as we do. Actually on a Fox Mustang you would lose turning radius as the 17 inch wheels would allow the tire to contact the fender lip opening. My 16's with 275's on them barely touch now even with the 91 to 93 fenders which have the larger opening. As far as brakes, rotors and calipers everything I've looked at doesn't say it will be cheaper?
A/Sedan #75 / 76 Retired
Crew Chief #15 Steve Hynes

Mustangs are Like Women,...You Have to Put Up With a Lot of Crap to Get What You Want, But When They Perform, Life Is Good.
Old 02-04-2005, 10:16 PM
sfoltz

Quote:
Originally Posted by koscieldrk
The expense would really hit people in the wallet if we were to go to 17" wheels. Actually on a Fox Mustang you would lose turning radius as the 17 inch wheels would allow the tire to contact the fender lip opening.
Stock Ford and GM 17" wheels aren't that expensive and you can find them EVERYWHERE but I understand that if you make people get them (spares and tires too) then they become a wallet biter. Just make it a max 17" and sooner or later the 16" will phase out. I run 17x8" with 255 on my other Mustang and don't have any rubbing issues. I know people that run 9" wide with 275 and no issues also (rolled fenders, not flared).

But this discussion really doesn't matter cause they aren't going to be doing 13" brakes or 17" wheels anytime in the near future. We'll just have to wait and see what happens. Hopefully they decide something that's easier and a little cheaper in the long run and has better performance.