Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Main American Sedan Categories > American Sedan Race Results

Old 07-30-2006, 11:11 PM
Administrator

Default MAM Results 7-30-06

Qual:

1. Jim Stevens - 1:42.221
2. Ted Johnson - 1:43.164
3. Bill Tucker - 1:43.861
4. Mark Beacom - 1:45.678
5. Harvey West - 1:46.456
6. Jeff Kopp - 1:46.761
7. Tim White - 1:47.653
8. Frank Safranek - 2:00.564

Race:

1. Jim Stevens - 1:42.673
2. Ted Johnson - 1:43.285
3. Jeff Kopp - 1:46.341
4. Mark Beacom - 1:45.988
5. Harvey West - 1:46.728
6. Bill Tucker - 1:45.288 (Broke on lap 13)
DNF Frank Safranek (Broke lap 8)
DNF Tim White (Broke lap 6)

Hot, hot, hot! I know, it's hot everywhere but we were over 100 when we took the flag! I just fell in behind Mark and Harvey at the start even though I had a decent start. Mark spun in the first couple laps and I chased Harvey for awhile until finally catching him and getting by under braking in T6. I focused the best I could even though I was hotter than hell and slowly pulled away. A couple laps later I noticed the water temp gauge at 250F and began short shifting. It helpled a little but Harvey and Mark were catching back up. I just decided to do the best I could and they must have had temp or tire issues too because they would gain ground some and then lose it. I was running P4 when Tucker broke (hope it's not too bad Bill) and he ended up off in a bad/dangerous spot so they threw the checker early. Congradulations to Jim for another Midiv win and to Ted for getting the last finish he needed to qualify for the RO's. I'll happily take my first Nat'l podium (even though a lot of luck was involved).

-Kopp
Old 07-31-2006, 09:57 AM
socalta

Congrats Jeff on your podium..take them how they come ...
Great showing Ted ....some nice numbers .... and Tucker ...looks like you were headed to be in the thick of things if it weren't for the problema ...
what ended up happening with the car???

great efforst by all ... sounds like a great day for racing !
Old 07-31-2006, 10:49 AM

My perspective.
Jim turned the tables on Ted in qualifying and got the pole with several EP Mazdas in between, the exact opposite of the last MAM race. I allowed Ted one set of tires for the weekend and they were tires that I had run at Topeka and Ted had run at Hallett. It was hot, and old, hard tires tend to work ok at MAM on hot days. We had stickers in the trailer, but they stayed there. Ted was also allowed one warm up, two hot laps and the cool down for qualifying.
He needed a finish, in whatever position, to be assured of going to the Runoffs. Now all he needs is a start at Topeka, and we will have two cars there, so a start is a given. Had he failed to finish yesterday, it was to be an expensive trip to St. Louis to try for a finish there.
I threatened to put in a 5000 rpm rev chip, but he promised to behave himself until after half way. Jim had a 13 second lead on him when I gave him the half way wave. Jim was pretty much cruising until Ted caught him with 5 laps to go.
Meanwhile, Tucker put a big hole in his block (according to someone who saw the engine) and pulled off on the outside of the corner leading on to the grandstand straight. There was no fire, but since they couldn't get Bill out of the car and there was the threat of somebody sliding out in his oil, they checkered the race three or four laps early.
I kidded Jim in impound that he was lucky they through the checker early. He said, "What's your point". He's a total racer and I'm sure he was confident he would have held the lead, but it would have been fun to watch Ted trying him for the last several laps.
Jim gets another well deserved win and Ted makes the Runoffs and has a hell of a good time chasing Jim.
Kopper, meanwhile, drives a smooth, error free race, getting around a bunch of other AS cars for a national podium. Harvey came in on a tow strap, but did get the finish and some points. I got heat stroke.

wheel

Kopp, I think you got your first national podium at Hallett, if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited by jimwheeler; 07-31-2006 at 12:41 PM.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:40 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwheeler
My perspective.

Kopp, I think you got your first national podium at Hallett, if I'm not mistaken.
Right you be. I somehow blocked that one out .
Old 07-31-2006, 01:46 PM
Ackjazz

Default Nice job!

Jim, Ted and Jeff -

Nice job all on what sounds like a fun race. Everybody had their goals met - so that's a good weekend. It was amazingly hot here too.

I really liked MAM and all you Mid-Div guys - always fun to be around. Good luck at the runoffs.

Sorry to hear about your motor, Bill. Mine gave out after my Gingerman weekend. I found what looked like silver fillings from teeth in the oil when I changed it - cut open the filter and it was bad. Good news: I found it early and didn't blow a hole in the block. I'll rebuild it this winter and be fresh for the spring.

Well done and keep up the good work!

-Ack
Old 07-31-2006, 02:29 PM
Banned

Default congrats

Jim drove a great race. Congrats to him. He worked the traffic better than I did. I gave it my best after halfway. I have two big blisters on my right palm from the shifter to prove it. I'm just glad I got the finish for the runoffs. Jeff keeps improving every race. He'll be with the front runners soon enough. I almost destroyed the car with a gt3 car that was stopped sideways on the track at turn 3. I was on the bumper of an ep car and when he swerved to evade this car it was in my face. Cranked the wheel left nearly hitting him and dropping two wheels of the track. Had I hit the dirt I would have gone staight into a corner station. I was lucky. All part of the fun I guess. Along with 5 pounds of water loss after this hot race day.

Ted
Old 07-31-2006, 04:22 PM

I lost 3rd coming into turn 1 and Frank lost his clutch. I could've continued and tried to get a finish but the noises coming from the tranny would not good so I pulled off at turn 4. Ted came very close to Jim but ran out of laps, he might have made it if they didn't shorten the race. He was flying at the end of the race, made it fun to watch but not exactly where I wanted to watch it from. Anybody got a cheap T-5?
Old 07-31-2006, 08:12 PM
92AS

Congrats to Ted and Jeff for their podium finishes.

As a matter of fact, congrats to everyone who simply finished. There was more carnage in Group 5 than any other three races combined. Add to it the incredible heat, and any finish was a good one. I felt fortunate just to load up the car in one piece and running.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:31 PM
Banned

Default A big thank you

Everyone needs to know that if Wheeler didn't sacrafice a season to split time in the car for both of us to qualify for the runoffs, I wouldn't be going to the runoffs. Wheels always a threat to win the midwest division. But gave up a chance to win the division this season for me. Thanks for the shot at the big show this year. You'll be back to your division winning ways next season.

Ted
Old 07-31-2006, 08:35 PM

You're welcome.

Jim