Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Main American Sedan Categories > ASAC News

Old 03-12-2014, 10:28 AM

Default April 2014 Prelims and RM

The prelims are posted:

http://www.scca.com/clubracing/content.cfm?cid=44472

Please also review Racing Memo 14-06 located on the same web page.

Also, everyone get your thinking caps on. The 2015 Runoffs will be at Daytona. Think about any rule changes that may be appropriate at Daytona. This is not a push for rules creep, but a recognition that our cars will probably go over 170 mph and we may need different parts to improve safety and reliability.

The ASAC is bouncing around ideas and will present some preliminary thoughts within a week. The ASAC would like to hear your initial thoughts here and then we will produce some What Do You Thinks for Fastrack for official opinions. Note that any changes will be available to all AS cars.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:36 PM

So our cars will be going faster than IMSA Continental Tire GS cars at Daytona! That would be impressive! I would be amazed if we are going faster at Daytona than at Road America or Fontana (Auto Club Speedway). From my understanding Fontana was about the same speed as Road America...

Does anyone have any top speed data for Daytona? Tom Ellis has the track record maybe he can shed some light...
Old 03-14-2014, 08:46 PM

Default Daytona

I talked with Tom Ellis, he says 168. He estimates for the Runoffs the top cars will be in the 170s.

TA2 cars are at 180 and a well known GT1/Trans-Am car has hit 214.

So, please put your engineering hats on and let the ASAC know what you think we might need in addition to our current rules.

Thanks, Pam
Old 03-15-2014, 09:53 PM

Does the stock LS1 ECU have a rev/speed limiter? Not that mine is fast enough to hit it.

RP 4th gen Camaro
Old 03-15-2014, 10:24 PM

Anyone else planning on going to Daytona this year? I'm planning on going down in August.

Cheyne
Old 03-15-2014, 10:31 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDH View Post
Does the stock LS1 ECU have a rev/speed limiter? Not that mine is fast enough to hit it.
Oh yes, like 6,200 if memory serves. You aren't still running a stock tune are you?
Old 03-15-2014, 10:37 PM

The easiest, cheapest, and safest thing to do (IMO) is to put restrictor plates on the cars. I've run at Daytona and the loads on the tires and suspension in the banking is huge. The SCCA had better find out from the tire manufacturers if they want their DOT tires on our cars at Daytona. A few years back BFG said "no way".

Tom Himes
Old 03-16-2014, 12:06 AM

I have been running my regional AS car at Daytona for several years now, and while I have not hit 168, I am probably doing over 150 and have had 0 tire problems with the R6 hoosiers. I do put an extra couple of lbs of air in the right side (per hoosier recommendations). I have never seen any AS cars (or other Camaro/mustang cars in SPO, or other classes) have tire problems. A couple of GT1 cars, but no AS cars.

Now, there haven't been any national caliber guys run there in a long time, so I suppose we could have some issues as you faster guys come down to get a feel for the track.

It will be nice to see some fresh faces at Daytona, it is a neat place to race, and very "different".

Hope to see some of you national guys there later this year.

Andy
Old 03-16-2014, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkopp View Post
Oh yes, like 6,200 if memory serves. You aren't still running a stock tune are you?
My builds go in baby steps. The ECU is usually last. BUT any changes that may be made will strictly be in compliance with the GCR of course. I'm Still trying to figure out how to hide an LSA in the bay. You guys wouldn't notice it would you?

RP 4th gen Camaro
Old 03-16-2014, 07:27 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDH View Post
My builds go in baby steps. The ECU is usually last. BUT any changes that may be made will strictly be in compliance with the GCR of course. I'm Still trying to figure out how to hide an LSA in the bay. You guys wouldn't notice it would you?
Let me know when you are ready for the LSA Jerry. I will make you a deal!