Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Main American Sedan Categories > American Sedan Technical

Old 08-26-2009, 04:10 PM

Default brake duct fans

I noticed an ASedan for sale on ebay, awhile ago. Among the equipment listed for the car were brake duct fans. I also noticed that the car is now entered in the Runoffs. A word to the wise. Brake duct fans are not now, nor have they ever been, legal in ASedan. I hope he reads this forum and removes them before he arrives at RA.

To clarify. According to section D, "Modifications shall not be made unless specifically authorized herein."

I had brake duct fans at one time. It was requested that I remove them, since they are not authorized in the rules. This is one that slipped through the cracks when we were cleaning up the rules, over the past several seasons. I just don't want anyone to lose a Q time, of be bounced for something like this.

Jim

Last edited by jimwheeler; 08-26-2009 at 07:50 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:13 PM

This got bumped before it came up.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:17 PM
fairlane_68

Well now...considering I have a pair waiting to be installed...thanks.

Can they be used for other purposes like driver ventilation and such?

Out of curiosity, why are they illegal?
Old 08-26-2009, 08:58 PM

I have one as a defroster and have used the other for helmet air.

They are illegal because they are not an authorized modification. Section D, "Modifications shall not be made unless specifically authorized herein."

It is also the reason you used to have to have horns, turn signals and dome lights.

Last edited by jimwheeler; 08-27-2009 at 10:45 AM.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:12 PM

Default not the only noncompliant item

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwheeler
I noticed an ASedan for sale on ebay, awhile ago. Among the equipment listed for the car were brake duct fans. I also noticed that the car is now entered in the Runoffs. A word to the wise. Brake duct fans are not now, nor have they ever been, legal in ASedan.
Jim
Actually, I read the same eBay ad and I think there were a number of things that were not legal on the car. It happens to be the car that won the Division National Championship which tells you how little protesting there is out here including at the National level. Of course if I knew all these things and was racing this year I might have said something, but live and let live.

The few things I remember were:

Trick steering with steering quickener.
NASCAR aluminum power steering pump.
Power steering pump remote reservoir.
Radius rod and heim joint rear trailing arms. (if they are what I think they are)

You're right Jim, it would be good if he read this because I don't have any contact info for him and it would be a shame if the tech people had to point these things out. Given that the car was for sale I thought it wasn't my place to point them out when I saw the descriptions in the For Sale ad. Buyer beware.

Someone correct me if the above actually are legal in AS.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:15 PM

Default yes or no

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwheeler
They [brake duct fans] are illegal because they are not an authorized modification. Section D, "Modifications shall not be made unless specifically authorized herein."

It is also the reason you used to have to have horns, turn signals and dome lights. We just missed this one.
Jim, are you saying that you want to add brake cooling fans to the rules, or specifically forbid them?
Old 08-26-2009, 10:08 PM

I don't see why brake cooling fans shouldn't be legal. I wouldn't push for them, but would be OK with them, if someone wanted them. I put them on my car, early in my AS career and were told to remove them before I came back. I think in about 1995 or so. They have never been put in the rules, therefore are illegal.

steering quickener is not mentioned in the rules. Might come under the steering column may be replaced. Don't know.
Power steering pumps must be stock, since alternates are not mentioned.
Remote p.s. pump reservoirs are not authorized.
You can put heim joints in your stock rear trailing arms, but you cannot replace the stock trailing arms with another (tubular) trailing arm.
I had a couple of pairs of stock trailing arms in the parts bin (in the trailer) at the Runoffs one year. When they checked trailing arms after qualification, I gave them all away, since several cars had aftermarket trailing arms that they needed to replace.

Last edited by jimwheeler; 08-26-2009 at 10:14 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:28 PM
Administrator

Wheel, I know you already think I'm a whiner lately but brake duct fans? Seriously? What happened to "we are done with the rules for a good long time"? I'm thinking it might be time to throw in the towel for me in regards to AS. I just can't keep up. It's become one of the most high-buck classes in the SCCA. At least the guys in SM with the gigabucks only have a "slight" advantage.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:39 PM

Default no brake duct fans

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkopp
Wheel, I know you already think I'm a whiner lately but brake duct fans? Seriously? What happened to "we are done with the rules for a good long time"?
I'm with Jeff. No brake duct fans. More money, more engineering, more design, more packaging, more wiring, more switches, more parts, more to potentially fall off on the track and cause debris for those behind you).

I vote "no". (I know, who cares what I vote........haha)
Old 08-26-2009, 11:12 PM
fairlane_68

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedanMan
I'm with Jeff. No brake duct fans. More money, more engineering, more design, more packaging, more wiring, more switches, more parts, more to potentially fall off on the track and cause debris for those behind you).

I vote "no". (I know, who cares what I vote........haha)
But they're like...$23.00--- Less than a tank of fuel.

http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?tp...action=product