Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Main American Sedan Categories > American Sedan Technical

Old 03-16-2009, 05:52 PM
Walther

Default "Wedging" Wilwoods

I was prepping my car this week for the upcoming PBIR Double SARRC (April 3-5) and noticed something odd.

The front brake pads are not wearing evenly. The leading edge of the pad is worn noticably more than the trailing edge in relation to the disc rotation. The pads are (est) 30-40% worn, and they are clearly "wedging" My initial concern is since the pads are no longer squared in the caliper, they are just a little on the loose side insofar as the fitment in the caliper.

I believe switching to a caliper with "staggered" pistons sizes will cure this, but should I be immediatley concerned? Anyone else noticing this?

As always, your comments are appreciated.

Mark W-
Old 03-16-2009, 05:57 PM
fairlane_68

I was watching something on TV this weekend where the car being worked on was having wear issues with Wilwood brakes. Wilwood sent them something...I don't remember. Most of this weekend is a blur.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:05 PM
Walther

IF this is "normal" wear, I will monitor it and otherwise dismiss it. I am just concerned since this is a home-made set-up, that I may have done something wrong. They have performed flawlessly at Sebring and Homestead/Miami after I sorted out the bias problem (with Wilwoods help). They are ducted with plenty of airflow and never hint at fading. Just presently concerned with the wear "pattern"
Old 03-16-2009, 06:29 PM

This is normal. Just flop the pads and you will get longer life out of them. Kind of like rotating your tires.
wheel

Last edited by jimwheeler; 03-16-2009 at 06:39 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:38 PM

You have to flop so that leading edge becomes trailing edge regularly. The pads become unusable if they get too much taper wear. And I suspect that there is a possibility of hurting the pistons as well if run with pads with too much taper wear, but that is just a guess.

Staggered piston calipers might solve the problem, but at some extra expense.
1993 Firebird AS #03 Oregon Region SCCA & ICSCC
Old 03-16-2009, 08:48 PM
Walther

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwheeler
This is normal. Just flop the pads and you will get longer life out of them. Kind of like rotating your tires.
wheel
Who needs a chief mechanic when I have you guys!!

That certainly makes sense and I never thought about it. The flopping shall commence immediately.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:52 PM
Walther

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsmith1
Staggered piston calipers might solve the problem, but at some extra expense.
Actually they were remarkably similiar in price when I was purchasing/comparing. BUT, since there is nothing wrong with the ones I have, you are absolutely correct. An unnecessary $380.00 expenditure.

Thanks Gentlemen.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:52 PM
hartman248

Default Wedging Wilwoods

Staggered pistons are definitely a must. My new Wilwood calipers are about 1.75 X 1.375, although I 'm not sure and I have yet to run them. Jerry
Old 03-17-2009, 09:28 AM
Dawson Motorsports

Mark, when you get the car sorted out and going faster, you have to flop the pads every 3 laps.
Chuck
Old 03-17-2009, 09:56 AM

The staggered pistons are preferable, but not mandatory. I, certainly, would not spend the money to replace the calipers I use, just to get the staggered pistons. I have had zero problems since they were installed the day they became legal, (in 2005?). I flip the pads every couple of races.
If I was starting from scratch, I would go with the staggered, however.