Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Main American Sedan Categories > American Sedan Rules

Old 12-23-2007, 07:17 PM

Default 302, 305, 350 and ideas?

Well like it or not the new rules are a reality. So I'm getting started. Picked up a used 4 bolt main, one piece seal 350 block for loose change ($75.00). Now what? I figure us GM folks may as well start to figure this one out. Near as I can tell, if we do a 302 we should be pretty close to Ford power.....but is there a better way???? Is the 350 with the extra tonage a dead player? Not sure I have all the right numbers but the 350 looks like it comes in at less weight per Cubic inch.

Tom
#38 Camaro
Old 12-23-2007, 07:27 PM

Tom,
When you figure it out, let me know. I'm kind of trapped by having two fresh 305's. I'm thinking about the new heads and run it until I can build a 302. But, the 305 might be just fine, with the new heads.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:43 PM
CobraR05

I am sitting and watching. Not totally understanding whether my car carrying a carpool like load is worth trying or not.
Old 12-23-2007, 09:07 PM

I really think the big engine will be wrong for this class. Remember that our tires are barely able to handle what we have now. I have won races by watching a guy with more power burn off his tires. Now think of carrying all that extra weight for 40 minutes and the tires won't live.
Just my opinion, I could be wrong.
wheel
Old 12-23-2007, 11:43 PM
CobraR05

"all that extra weight". Exactly. The weight penalty should be to make for good competition. Your post makes it clear that the weight is excessive. When the rules are fair, I will race AS. Til then, why bother?

Last edited by CobraR05; 12-23-2007 at 11:56 PM.
Old 12-24-2007, 12:04 AM

No offense, but my post makes it clear?? How anyone can take my post and say it makes it clear, is beyond me. I'm just making a complete guess. What part of "I could be wrong" didn't you get?
Old 12-24-2007, 01:00 AM
CobraR05

Wheel,
You are a leader on this forum. You are a leader in the class. You are a leader on the race track. You are not going to try and convince me that your opinion carries now weight. Are you?

The cop says, If you go thru that red light, you are going to get a ticket. I could be wrong though.

You confirm my biggest concerns on this subject and then expect me to buy that you don't know what you are talking about?
Old 12-24-2007, 01:06 AM

Cobra05...... I don't want to ruin your Christmas but looking at the pictures of your car I would strongly question if it could be made into a legal A Sedan. First off I don't know what you have for brakes, my guess.....13" or larger? Illegal Next your wheels would have to go in the trash bin if they are 17's. Don't know anything about your suspension but if you have an after market cross member or after market front or rear control arms they will also have to go into the trash. As for structure....nice car, looks pro built. Is it seam welded?? If so it's time to trash the tub. Don't know what your cage looks like but if the plates are over 100 sq in, or you have more than 8 points that will also need to be changed. Oh yea.....trash the wing also.

This isn't going to be easy for anyone to get into the class with anything but a true T2 car.

Let's stick to the motor conversation on this thread. Wheel.....IF a true 302 is going to be 3380# I'm not convinved that the extra 200# for a 350 (placed where you want it) is going to be all that bad. Now for the IFs. IF a 305 with the aluminum heads makes 400 HP that would be 8.2 pounds per HP. A 350 using the same 1.31 HP per cubic inch would make 458 HP and come in at 7.81 pounds per HP. The car could balance out at 48% front and 52% rear weight. The front tires should do better than with the current set up...remember we are taking 50# away with the heads, 10# with the lights and misc, and something....15#s? when the dash goes away.

What do the current T2 Camaros weigh?

This could be interesting.....expensive but interesting!

Merry Christmas to all!

Tom
#38 Camaro
Old 12-24-2007, 01:16 AM

FYI...a T2 Camaro needs to weigh 3530#. These cars in AS trim at 3580# may not be as mid pack as you would think.

Tom
#38 Camaro
Old 12-24-2007, 09:17 AM

Cobra,
See, there's another opinion from a Chevy driver who knows his stuff. I am telling you that, concerning the 350 Chevy, which is what we were talking about, I really don't have a clue whether it will be mid, back or front of the pack. For you to say my post makes it clear is ridiculous. It sounds like just an excuse for you to not make the effort to go racing.
wheel