Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Main American Sedan Categories > American Sedan Rules

Old 12-14-2007, 03:49 PM

Default lexan windshields

How does everyone feel about lexal windshields? There have been some requests, notably from drivers who have had to change windshields like we used to have to change brake rotors...Every couple of races.
I have replaced the windshield three times in the last two seasons.
What does everyone think?

Last edited by jimwheeler; 12-14-2007 at 04:27 PM.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:51 PM
socalta

any idea on the costs for something like this??
what about the rear?
Old 12-14-2007, 04:03 PM
PRO SYSTEMS

Default Windshields

I use Mar Guard windshields on all my drag cars instead of Lexan.

Theres less glare and scratching/staining.

Its pricier but they can still pull you out through it after a 6 times roll over when your brakes explode and parachute doesn't blossom. LOL

But thats another story.

Patrick James
Old 12-14-2007, 04:18 PM
John Rissberger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwheeler
How does everyone feel about lexal windshields? There have been some requests, notably from drivers who have had to change windshields like we used to have to change brake rotors...Every couple of races.
I have replace the windshield three times in the last two seasons.
What does everyone think?
YES on LEXAN. We go through two on each of our cars per season.
Thank You,
John Rissberger
# 10 Camaro
Old 12-14-2007, 05:07 PM

Default maintenance

How maintainable is Lexan (or equivalent)? At the end of almost every race I seem to have a whole assortment of liquids on my windshield from the cars in front of me. Engine/trans/rear end oils are common. Hopefully not brake fluid.

I'm guessing fluids on the windshields of drag cars aren't as common as road racing because if you have a car in front of you in your lane on the drag strip you've got bigger problems to worry about than fluids on your windshield.

Regarding availability, do they make preformed windshields that are a direct fit for all the different car makes and models in A-Sedan?

Lastly, although it's more of a concern for the class in general instead of a personal need in the Sunny State, can you use windshield wipers on a Lexan windshield? I've heard about regions where it rains sometimes.....

If Lexan (or equivalent) windshields are cleanable and are a direct fit then I'd go for it.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:24 PM
Dawson Motorsports

You can use wipers once or twice on lexan. Cost of lexan is about the same as a replacement glass one.
They do have those films that go over the windsheild, like nascar, [notice no caps].
Chuck
Old 12-14-2007, 05:28 PM
wlfpkrcn

You can also get used nascar lexan. They change them out every race. There is company in NC that sells them cheap. Sometimes they even come with the tear offs still attached. I don't know if they will fit an AS car, but they fit EP RX7's
Old 12-14-2007, 05:32 PM
bubba

I don't think there's much to gain. If we ask for lexan windshield then rear windows and side windows would be logical. Then fiberglass body panels, then what?

I think this one would be a bit out of the philosophy of the class as it used to be said.

That's my $.02
Old 12-14-2007, 07:23 PM
KW78

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba
I don't think there's much to gain. If we ask for lexan windshield then rear windows and side windows would be logical. Then fiberglass body panels, then what?

I think this one would be a bit out of the philosophy of the class as it used to be said.

That's my $.02

I personally agree here. I don't think there is any benefit. Weight is not a benefit, because SCCA requires 1/4 lexan for the windshield (at least in the other catagories) and it was only 1.25 # saving for the EP RX7.

I put a nascar tearoff on my 2004 car and have gotten 3 seasons out of the same windshield. The tearoff worked great with wipers, cleaning, following-wheel-gear-lube-removal, and even the occasional dribble of antifreeze my car has been known to have on the windshield.... (W. those old heads )

What do people think about the "look" of the flat lexan side windows, rear windows, etc...

Kyle
Old 12-14-2007, 07:44 PM
CobraR05

SCCA requires 1/4" windshield. There is no weight savings with Lexan(I have Percy's Speedglass Lexan in the shop going on both cars for a story I am writing right now).

Since there is no weight savings on the windshield it should be legal. The 1/4" makes it just as safe as glass. It can be installed so that it is less likely to come out in a spin and its not as nasty to run over if it does as glass.

it does not crack like a glass windshield but it does pit and scratch. I have a windshield wasted every time i race at VIR because of the dirt paddock being drug out on the race track and blowing into my windshield.

Lexan with tear offs can be longer lasting that a glass.