Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Main American Sedan Categories > American Sedan Technical

Old 07-27-2006, 02:39 PM

Default Brake Choices

Okay, the season is more than half over and all my 1LE rotors and pads are used up. Time to start shopping for a brake upgrade. From those who have made the switch what would you recommend? Brake Man or Willwood....or other? Why?

Tom
#38 Camaro
Cen Div
Old 07-27-2006, 03:16 PM

Wheel did a significant amount of development, there's a pretty long thread on what his findings were along with some comments from guys using the brakeman stuff.

Mark
Old 07-27-2006, 03:18 PM

Tom,
I can tell you my experience. I bought the Willwood setup from Precision, through Ted Johnson, before the season started. I got the floating rotors, which pretty much eliminated vibration and piston push back. They were mounted on my Baer aluminum hubs.
So far:
One full day of brake testing. (we ran a few laps with bigger calipers and found they were too much)
Six national weekends. (Ted has two races and I have four races. Two wins, two seconds, two thirds combined)
one full day of tire testing.
two days of giving rides at the PDX at Heartland. About equal, in laps, to a national race.

We still have the original pads and rotors and they will be good for the rest of the season. I'll put on new stuff for the Runoffs. And, the best part is that at no time, no matter how hard we ran, did we ever have any brake fade or a soft pedal.
Pretty much eliminated the brake expense of changing pads, rotors and calipers. I did have to flip the pads one time to compensate for them wearing a little bit more on the leading edge.
I can't speak for the Brakeman drivers, but our numbers speak for themselves. Ted can be reached on this forum.
Jim Wheeler
Old 07-27-2006, 05:49 PM
jd17

Default precision or brakeman ?????

i don't know who this person is but he seems to have had a bad day with precision
www.logicfusiongroup.com/pb/

i put my own package together and that was about the dumbest thing i could have done. although they work great now it took alot of trial and error on my part and of course $$$$

jd
Old 07-27-2006, 06:13 PM

I don't know who that guy is either, but my kit fit perfectly and it only took about an hour to install, except for the new brake ducts. All the parts, hardware and hoses were right and they even included the red LocTite. The guy we had been working with had some personal problems and left the company without giving notice or taking care of some of his clients. That was some time ago and didn't cause us any real problems. You are only as good as the people who work for you.
wheel
Old 07-27-2006, 11:56 PM
jericker

I'll chime in from the Brakeman side of things. I have seen Wheel's setup from Precision and it is indeed a beautiful setup and seemed to work well since I always seemed to be following him. I chose The Brakeman setup because the '95 Mustang package from Precision was not available at the time because of the afforementioned personal problems with a former employee. The Brakeman package was on my doorstep in about 4 days from 2/3rds of the way across the country. My mechanic had it on in about an hour and a half and had no fitment issues at all. Other than a bone head choice of a cheap brake fluid, I'm thrilled with the brakes. I only have one weekend on them so far and they look brand new. I am now running the high dollor Castrol SRF and will test them again this weekend at Nelson Ledges. The prices were about the same for both packages, so there shouldn't be a big deal there. Tom, I know you have a bowtie so the kit from Precision should be readily available to you. I don't think you can go wrong with either package. The brake pads are virtually the same and many compounds are available for each. Bob Rooney at the Brakeman was and still is a wealth of information for me and has been great to work with. Ted is also a great guy and easy to work with as well. Good luck in the search, Tom, I'll be at Nelson this weekend if you would like to look at the Brakeman package. My more than two cents worth.

Jon
Old 07-28-2006, 09:41 AM

I will also speak for The Brakeman. This is my first season of roadracing after running SCCA Solo 1's and Hillclimbs for 12 years. The first time out with the brakes was at my second SCCA school at Summit Point. In case some of you do not know, DC regions school at Summit Point is known for being hard on cars and drivers. 20 min. on track session followed by a class room debrief then right back on the track,,, all weekend. 3.5 hours of on track time. The Brakeman brakes were AMAZING right out of the box. They never faded and I never lost the pedal. There was only a few cars I could not out brake at the end of the 3,000 ft. strait. By the end of the weekend the brakes were still like new. The pads were perfect and the rotors were perfect as well. In my first regional race at Pocono I got the pole. I am not bragging I am just saying that they really do work.

And every step of the way Bob has been there helping me with any question I have. He has called ME a few times to check up and see how things are going. When was the last time you bought something and had the person you bought the product from call just to catch up with you to see how things are working out? Bob is also a wealth of information when it comes to suspensions.

I am not putting the Wilwood's down at all. But shop around and at least give Bob a call and talk to him about it.
2000 Mustang #30
NE-Div. Blue Mountain Region
Old 07-28-2006, 10:01 AM

I haven't heard any negative comments about Brakeman or Willwood and think that either would be a good choice. I am really happy that all of the hard work that went into the long process of getting these brakes approved has turned out being worth it. This took a long time (most feel too long) to make it's way through the process, from the original idea, through the AdHoc committee and finally through approval by the CRB. Chuck Dawson built a mock up to see if they would work on GM cars and mock-ups were done on Ford as well (can't remember who built that one). The AdHoc committee continued the research and wrote a recommendation to the CRB that was just about perfect. The CRB changed some of it and passed the rule. The CRB has since changed it two times to get it closer to what AdHoc had proposed the first time.
And, the final result??? Great brakes, LOWER COST, better reliability, slight competition advantage (biggest advantage is that you still have brakes at the end of the race). Some would say that is a safety advantage.
Anyway, pick your package and put them on your car. You will love the change.
Jim
Old 07-28-2006, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd17
i don't know who this person is but he seems to have had a bad day with precision
www.logicfusiongroup.com/pb/

i put my own package together and that was about the dumbest thing i could have done. although they work great now it took alot of trial and error on my part and of course $$$$

jd

Regarding this person on this website who chooses to remain nameless. I asked Precision for a response about it. This person chooses not to return the merchandise or speak with anyone from Precision. The kit was installed incorrectly and he has posted on many forums about his situation. They have done everything to help resolve it. I don't have all the details but thats what they told me. Precision is growing very rapidly right now and their on times have suffered along with some customer service. Our brakes are working fantastic. One set of pads and rotors for the season and put a new set on for the runoffs. The thermlock pistons are outstanding. We have only bled the brakes twice this season. We should bleed them more often but when you get in the car and everytime its a rock hard pedal you get lazy. Its been frustrating for me as well when we have had nothing but good to say about Wilwood brakes. I'm sure everyone will have their own experiences with either brand but for us we'll stick with the Wilwoods.

Ted
Old 07-28-2006, 10:19 PM

Lots of good information here guys, thanks.

Tom