Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Main American Sedan Categories > American Sedan Technical

Old 07-02-2019, 06:11 PM

Default Tips for a new build

Hello, new here and wanted to get some tips on the car.
I have an '02 Camaro T4 car that blew up it's v6. I've been weighing the options of putting another 3800 in it vs. limited prep AS. The car is well past it's prime in T4, so AS seems like the better option. There are usually 4-5 of them at most of the races in the midwest vs. no T4 cars. I have to go to a Super Tour to find other T4 cars and I can't keep up with FRS's and RX8's. I do like the nature of T4 and hoping I can keep it similar in AS.
Plan is for the LS1 and assoc. parts to start and work up to better brakes, susp., etc. when I can.
Questions I have are, should I do the hot cam? I don't want to put it in if the rule could get changed. Seems like people here aren't too much in favor of it.
What clutches are people using? So many options out there. Do you use springless?
Any other tips?

Curt

Last edited by rx555; 07-03-2019 at 01:35 AM.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:36 AM

Default information source

One of your best bets is to talk to John Blanchard who is running a group of a dozen or more A Sedans at Waterford Hills Raceway. You can connect via Facebook: go to the Engines by JB group page.

good luck and have fun.

Last edited by Richard Pryor; 07-03-2019 at 05:07 PM. Reason: msiteak
Old 07-16-2019, 03:35 AM

The engine and cradle are ready to go in but waiting on a clutch and flywheel to come in.
What kind of brakes are you guys using? Lots of choices. What's the least I can get away with until I get some funds for a BBK?
What are people using for springs? Are the GM perf. springs I had with the v6 good enough?
Old 07-17-2019, 07:52 AM

To me it looks like the springs you have will work fine and as brakes go i have the wilwood 4 piston
Old 07-17-2019, 10:01 AM

I like the Wilwood radial mount calipers -BSL4R,ST. I have the ones with 1.88/1.62 pistons. They are very easy to mount and service, also reasonably priced. I use the H compound with the Spec 37 rotors.
Old 07-17-2019, 03:02 PM

The V6 springs (even the 550 ones)are way too soft--the stock calipers will work with good pads until you can get 4 piston units--
Old 07-17-2019, 04:19 PM

I agree, about the springs. For what it is worth, on the GenIII, I use 1000 front and 210 rear. Kim McDonald just built a Gen IV full prep and will be testing spring rates at High Plains in August. He was running the 550 at Heartland and they did not seem to work for him. He may be able to help when he gets done testing.