Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Misc > Polls

View Poll Results: Should AS Full Preparation cars have a sealed crate engine option?
Yes 19 51.35%
No 18 48.65%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-22-2013, 07:14 PM

Default Sealed Crate Motors for FP AS?

Looking for yes or no, should American Sedan Full Preparation include an option for sealed crate engines?
Old 03-22-2013, 07:43 PM

Default Crate engines

No not an option that can help.The car co. would be hard to trust,when it comes to power.In the 60's they even told stories about cid.take a Ford 427 425 hp just a little bit on the light side.I don't think you can control it.They have tried in our area.We will dyno tune and pick engines with most power.The tracks and org. gave up it toke about 2 years.The big problem with crate is who is the person to do all rebuilds you can 't have people in diff.shops. it really doesn't work.And who wants to ship motors to someone you don't know.

Ken Felice
Old 03-23-2013, 12:37 AM

I agree with Ken that there will be problems both with performance consistency and policing.
And people will find these are not necessarily a low-cost option - buying multiple engines, sending them back for rebuild, or re-selling tired engines and buying new fresh stuff every 2-3 years.
So it's a horrible idea as a requirement.

But to give people an easier way to come in and get started I think it is a great option.
There are a few folks who are not professional engine builders that are buying parts off the shelf and bolting them together, with disapointing results. The crate motor provides a lot more reliability in that you can just order it, drop it in the car and go. May not be at the pinnacle of competitiveness, but also shouldn't be way down either.

I think we should also look at allowing the 603 Chevy and S347JR Ford with a small weight break (from the big-displacement weight).
350 crank HP is only enough to let you run at the back of the Runoffs grid at the small-displacement weight. These engines could never be over-dogs.
AS #71
Detroit Region
Old 03-23-2013, 04:47 AM

Default Making it clear

Mark --

I appreciate your thoughts and others to be, I just want to make one thing clear.

IF this is approved, if would NOT, repeat NOT, be a requirement for FP cars. It would be an OPTION!!!!!!!

The current FP engine rules would remain and would not be changed.

I hope everyone understands this.

Pam
Old 03-23-2013, 08:48 AM

Default Crate Engines

Pam:

I like the idea. My vote is yes. I think this would give AS a shot in the arm. There is a reason this engine has been successful in the circle track arena.

I have worked with the Chevy crate engines in the circle track arena out here on the left coast and we found them very reliable. No, it's not a $15 - $20K engine. It is what it is. It allows an individual to go racing with an affordable and competitive power plant. Does it always win against a full prep motor, not always. But it does win.

My thoughts are as follows: Leave the 600 carb rule in place and do not limit the RPM. I like the rocker arm ratio. As far as weight, 3,200 lbs. Same as and LT1 CamBird. The HP is very close.

Just my $.02.

Thanks,

Darryl
Old 03-23-2013, 01:32 PM

1 - I don't think the poll is working. I voted yes, but it seemed to record
that as both a yes and a no vote.

2 - I think this would at least make a great starter engine. I agree with DSeefeldt, needs to use the existing 600 CFM carb. I disagree
that the ignition system should be spec to give a rev limiter.

3 - What exactly is sealed? Can you remove the valve covers to change a broken rocker stud or rocker arm? Do these have flat tappet cams or ?

4 - THis might make a great back-up engine strategy as long as it could use the exact same carb and ignition as your full-prep motor did.
1993 Firebird AS #03 Oregon Region SCCA & ICSCC
Old 03-24-2013, 04:37 PM

Default If this is only another option

I am for it if as Pam says it is an option and the old rules stay.
If it would grow to be a requirement absolutly NO
Old 03-24-2013, 07:01 PM

If only an option, then OK, if it is required and you can't build your own absolutely no

Andy
Old 03-24-2013, 09:42 PM

Default Please read this

I'LL REPEAT IT HERE. TO ANSWER ONE OF YOUR QUESTIONS, THIS WOULD NEVER BE A REQUIREMENT, IT WOULD BE AN OPTION FROM HERE TO ETERNITY.

The other issues you are mentioning are valid ones and are certainly open for discussion.

Recall that this will appear in the April 20 Fastrack (if approved by the CRB as a What Do You Think) and that will be the only place that you can officially tell the CRB/ASAC what you think. You'll need to send in a letter AFTER April 20.

The ONLY reason this is coming up is because last year someone asked us about potentials for lower engine costs (Ken mentioned 15K, we are looking at things that potentially cost less) and the ASAC put together a proposal. We made a promise to that member we would look at it this year, potentially for 2014.

PLEASE NOTE THAT A "WHAT DO YOU THINK" IN FASTRACK IS NOT A RECOMMENDED ITEM. WE ARE LOOKING FOR HOW THE COMMUNITY FEELS BEFORE WE EVEN CONSIDER PUTTING IN THE PROPOSAL AS A RECOMMENDED ITEM OR NOT.

AND I WILL REPEAT, NO DECISION HAS BEEN MADE. WE ARE LOOKING FOR YOUR FEEDBACK.

If this is not clear, please send me a PM with a phone number and I will call you personally to chat about it.

Pam

P. S. I will add, that, at least in my case, we refresh the motor at the end of each season. Depending on what the motor needs, our refreshes, done by our professional builder run $4K-$6K. Please keep that in mind as you think about total engine costs with replacing a crate every number of years. You need to add the cost of your engine to be built, then refreshed how often you intend to do it.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:49 PM

Default Chevy 604 Crate Engine

Pam - Jeff:

I have a couple of questions regarding the 604 crate engine.

1.) Will the oil pan work for road racing?

2.) Has anyone tried to drop one of these into a 3rd gen and 4th gen f-body? Does the oil pan clear the cross member? Once installed, do off the shelf headers fit?

Thanks,

Darryl