Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Main American Sedan Categories > ASAC News

Old 10-07-2018, 04:42 PM

Pam, I know you keep asking for letters, but I think it would be helpful if the AS community had more data about the health of AS as compared to other SCCA Club Racing classes before we go about contemplating major changes.

My impression is most classes were down on entries this year. My guess is this has a fair amount to do with the RO's at Indy in 17 and the West Coast in 18. AS competitors might be more concentrated in the East than most classes, but some info on this could be interesting to throw in the mix. Entries may go up in 2019 because the RO's move to VIR.

Finally we are told we need more entries. Then we are told a number of changes might be coming to the class over a long period of time. Who in their right mind would want to put forth the time and financial commitment to either build a new car, buy an old one or upgrade their existing car under these conditions?

Why is it that positives of "rules stability" are not discussed more?

We have had LP for years with a bunch of unused spec lines, and the class is still mainly carbureted FP cars. Whatever we do, I would be careful not to alienate the core AS folks in the hope of attracting new blood.

Tom Himes
Old 10-07-2018, 06:48 PM

Default GREAT Questions!

Tom --

These are really AWESOME questions! I'll try to answer them as best I can. I also encourage you to submit another letter with your thoughts listed here (not the questions, but the comments!)

Thanks a bunch and see below! Pam

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My impression is most classes were down on entries this year. My guess is this has a fair amount to do with the RO's at Indy in 17 and the West Coast in 18. --- Most classes are down this year. I did an estimate about 2 months ago and AS was down (if I remember) about 30% from last year. Quite a few classes were similar. Some where unchanged or slightly up, but, when you kind of looked at how most classes were it was in the down by 25-30% range (note this is not official and a couple of months old, I am happy to redo after the Runoffs).

AS competitors might be more concentrated in the East than most classes, but some info on this could be interesting to throw in the mix. Entries may go up in 2019 because the RO's move to VIR. --- AS is mostly concentrated in the following divisions: Most: NE, Great Lakes, Central, then, SE and MIDIV. Less in the other divisions. Estimates for VIR total entries, based on their survey is, I think, very similar to Indy for the "definitelys" and about half of the Indy in the "maybees". Again, not official, just my best opinion. Hopefully, that will step up AS participation in 2019.

Finally we are told we need more entries. Then we are told a number of changes might be coming to the class over a long period of time. Who in their right mind would want to put forth the time and financial commitment to either build a new car, buy an old one or upgrade their existing car under these conditions? --- I know these "conditions" appear challenging. The best I can convey is that the ASAC has a very good reason for asking these questions, that I can't share at this point, but, what we are seeing so far is VERY helpful. Hence my push to get more letters, in case what we are seeing is indeed felt across the community.

Why is it that positives of "rules stability" are not discussed more? --- They are be and they should be. And, the community should be conveying whether they they like the stability or not (please).

We have had LP for years with a bunch of unused spec lines, and the class is still mainly carbureted FP cars. Whatever we do, I would be careful not to alienate the core AS folks in the hope of attracting new blood. --- Understand completely.