Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Main American Sedan Categories > American Sedan Technical

Old 06-22-2015, 03:14 PM

I don't have a tire deal. 22 years of running Hoosiers, and unless I have a good finish, I pay for every one I use.

But I:

1. Have a clean straight car
2. Cannot test on weekdays
3. don't keep meticulous records
4. don't win national championships.

2 and 3 might contribute a bit to 4, but it is number 4 that gets you tire deals.
Old 06-22-2015, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wre46 View Post
I am not sure why it matters how many ASAC members have a tire deal. If we had to use a spec tire, I would say it would be an issue.

Do you want to know how to get a tire deal? I can speak from previous experience. I have had tire deals on my Autocross car, ITC car, GT-5 car and my AS car. Companies want to see their products on cars that do the following:
1. Run up front
2. Well prepared and maintained (this means clean and straight)
3. Drivers who can give feedback to tire Engineers.
4. Teams that are willing to test on non-race weekends
5. Driver that will not tarnish the manufacturers reputation (Even if it was an issue with the tires..always blame it on the brakes!)
6. Drivers who promote the performance to other up and coming drivers
7. Drivers who keep great records to relay info to tire engineers. I cannot tell you how many times the tire engineer has made suggestions that have let us make serious improvements to our program.

To say you need to have 2 sets per weekend is about right, assuming you are running a double weekend. If you car is setup perfect, you should only need 2 to 3 laps to qualify if your program is strong.

To establish a good re pore with your tire guy, meet with them as soon you get to the track,work with them at the end of the session. They can help you with air pressures, tire wear, suspension setup etc.

Bottom line, you have to spend money to make money. Its all about the level of competition you want to run at.
Jeff,

Are there any top contenders (runoffs champions) and podium finishers running in the NE and SE that are not running Hoosiers? If not doesn't that make it a defacto spec tire? Or whatever the tire of choice happens to be. I don't think goodyear is in the mix anymore for AS are they? Is it not reasonable to question if Hoosier has to make a buisness decision on their budget to sponsor racers that in addition to your list of requirements the strawberry on top would be to give it to the people in decison making positons that can further grow their buisness? Everyone in every class is lined up to get the freebies willing to do whatever it takes to represent them in the best possible way. If you eliminate tire costs from your program you can then possibly fulfill all the requirements you listed which prior to that point may make it impossible. You maximize your testing with good rubber as opposed to junk that most of the time can turn fast laps but not for the entire stint of a majors race running with top tier competition. The manufacturers will make decisons based on what benefits them the most. So its back to the basic question. If Joes post is accurate and implys most of the asac has a tire deal, then is that really how things should be with racers supposedly having fun racing for a trophy when its quite possible they are racing for 10s of thousands of dollars to keep their tire deal. Is this the reality of A/S after 20 years?
Old 06-22-2015, 03:55 PM

I'll feed the troll:

I don't have a tire deal
Danny - aka Pam doesn't have a tire deal.
Phil doesn't have a tire deal.
Chaz doesn't have a tire deal
Jeff doesn't have a tire deal
Jim doesn't have a tire deal

Ed might have, the year after his championship.
Tom doesn't have a tire deal
Andy probably does have a tire deal of some sort.

So, 2 people, both National Champions.

I think we all run Hoosiers, not because of any influence, but because they are the best tire. If you have the best tire, and no one makes anything close (bfg), you don't have to sweeten any deals to be the dominant manufacturer.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:40 PM

Default YEP Danny.

BUT DANNY,,,,,
Your not a Ol Man yet,,,,,,
T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny"TheKid"Richardson View Post
All,
For what its worth, after the two race weekends on the hoosier A7 i have been incredibly impressed with their durability. So much so that I will be going to watkins with only 1 set of stickers. As far as the class is concerned, i got to play in a restricted prep mustang the other day at Summit Point. I was astonished at how incredible and durable that car was. If the old 15 car was completely destroyed RP is the way to go. Initial cost may be higher but man you make your money back on motors brakes etc.

Cheers!

Old 06-22-2015, 11:46 PM

Default Hate to say, Scott

U have to enjoy what you do,
Some of us are fkd up , and spin,
Natural

Id be on that dirt bike everyday ,,,if I could
T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Sanda View Post
I don't have a tire deal. 22 years of running Hoosiers, and unless I have a good finish, I pay for every one I use.

But I:

1. Have a clean straight car
2. Cannot test on weekdays
3. don't keep meticulous records
4. don't win national championships.

2 and 3 might contribute a bit to 4, but it is number 4 that gets you tire deals.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:52 PM

Default Wow ted,,,,

Thanks Ted or relating what my hands do as yours do,
and as my mind doing it,,,,,
jt

Are there any top contenders (runoffs champions) and podium finishers running in the NE and SE that are not running Hoosiers? If not doesn't that make it a defacto spec tire? Or whatever the tire of choice happens to be. I don't think goodyear is in the mix anymore for AS are they? Is it not reasonable to question if Hoosier has to make a buisness decision on their budget to sponsor racers that in addition to your list of requirements the strawberry on top would be to give it to the people in decison making positons that can further grow their buisness? Everyone in every class is lined up to get the freebies willing to do whatever it takes to represent them in the best possible way. If you eliminate tire costs from your program you can then possibly fulfill all the requirements you listed which prior to that point may make it impossible. You maximize your testing with good rubber as opposed to junk that most of the time can turn fast laps but not for the entire stint of a majors race running with top tier competition. The manufacturers will make decisons based on what benefits them the most. So its back to the basic question. If Joes post is accurate and implys most of the asac has a tire deal, then is that really how things should be with racers supposedly having fun racing for a trophy when its quite possible they are racing for 10s of thousands of dollars to keep their tire deal. Is this the reality of A/S after 20 years?[/QUOTE]
Old 06-22-2015, 11:58 PM

Default HEY Jim Wheeler????

You have ten days to get to WGI .....
Id do 50 bucks a driver if others would for you to Race WGI ,,,,,,
What Racing is about,,,,,, in NE

Just look at what I bitch about and car counts,,
They hate me,lol
but beer is cold,,,,, and your not getting any younger Jim,

All Depends,,,
T
Old 06-23-2015, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talladega View Post
You have ten days to get to WGI .....
Id do 50 bucks a driver if others would for you to Race WGI ,,,,,,
What Racing is about,,,,,, in NE

Just look at what I bitch about and car counts,,
They hate me,lol
but beer is cold,,,,, and your not getting any younger Jim,

All Depends,,,
T

Good luck with that Joe. I was at the last non majors event crewing for FS and had a great time with my long time SCCA friends. Had some great racing with Jack, Kim and Tim. Would have been better if he showed up.

Speaking of car counts I recently received a letter from the SCCA, "asking' for my input why I left and consider coming back. Some sobering news in the letter I was sent from the SCCA. Being called a "troll" by asac members isn't helping with that decision as well as being told by a former national champion "do us all a favor and go race NASA" in the past. Perhaps a new, friendlier approach might work better for growing this club. Letter below and participation numbers dont seem to show up. Keep taking it on the chin Joe and go get em.

Hello -

I am writing you as someone who has participated in the SCCA Club Racing program in the Midwest Division in the past.

Over the last decade, SCCA's Midwest Division has experienced a steady decline in licensed Club Racing drivers and participation. This is not entirely unique to this part of the country, as motorsports overall had to weather fierce economic challenges during this timeframe. However, the situation in the Midwest Division has reached a critical point.

As a previous, and possible future, stakeholder in this program, we would like to hear your thoughts on the Midwest Division's racing program, why you left and what you think might spark growth and a potential return. I invite you to join SCCA President & CEO Lisa Noble, Club Racing Board Chairman Jim Wheeler and me at an open meeting Friday, June 19 at Kansas Speedway's Infield Media Center from 6 7 pm. If you are unable to attend, or prefer to write, please share your thoughts in a response to this email.

For some background, here are some key statistics:

As you can see, Midwest Division is actually faring better than other Divisions from a membership standpoint, but has seen a greater decline in its racing program.

SCCA's national organization is committed to identifying areas of support and program development. It is our intention to gather information, work with Regions to develop programs and support Regional growth initiatives to reverse this trend. SCCA is growing in many areas, and we believe that Regional racing continues to have potential. We just need to identify how to fully recognize that potential.

We look forward to hearing your thoughts, whether it be in person or in writing.

Best regards,
Eric Prill, SCCA Vice President & COO
Old 06-23-2015, 12:16 PM

Ted,

You are a troll, by definition. You cherry pick, twist words, argue even in the face of facts, make false statements designed to elicit angry responses, etc.

You asked how many asac members have tire deals, and implied that we all did, and those deals were bribes we all accepted to willingly allow hoosier to be the dominant tire in the class.

You also implied that we are all dishonest, and part of a conspiracy to keep "our" cars and programs at the front of the field, at the expense of the "little guy".

I told you how many asac members had tire deals. Did you apologize for insulting us all and questioning our, and my person integrity when confronted with the fact that the only tire deals belong (or belonged, not sure if Ed has one or not) to drivers who won National Championships.

I'm sorry you can't field a competitive AS car, I'm sorry you are bitter and angry about past issues, perceived or real. I'm sorry you are no longer running with SCCA, but all of those things are your personal issues, not mine.

I do this for fun. I try to always improve on track, but I know I'm never going to be a National Champion. (unless about 15 people break or crash). The day I no longer have fun is the day I stop. AS is a great class. The ASAC works hard to keep it level, and costs are pretty reasonable considering you can get into a competitive car for less than a new Spec Miata build. Having run IT, GT2 and GT3, and FP, I can comfortably say that I am enjoying AS under the current rule set.

But, since you are a classic internet troll, all you are going to do is pull things out of this to twist and attack about. But, maybe not. Hopefully you will surprise me.

Scott
Old 06-23-2015, 08:08 PM

Default You Have it all wrong Scott,,,,

I met Ted once with Jim W, I think,,,,
Ted works building ,selling trans parts, and no's everyone from racing ,
a lot of other classes than SCCA, and see declines of all racing groups,
and sees more mistakes and money spent as anyone would in the industry,

Again , I took care of 135 service stations when working for my fathers
Auto Parts ,before there was one on every corner,
Than bought my own place ,servicing anything automotive ,

Never Question a person that had a love for what they did,,,,,,

In the NE we have Generation's of family and racers , that just do ,,,

Long day today to write,
But I can tell you its the same as 20 years ago racing as it is today for all in the NE,,,,

We just don't come for a piece of wood, but for the competition, and
not all of us fit in,,,,

But this is what makes AMERICAN SEDAN ,,,,,

Scott, get in your rig and do WGI,,,,
in the NE , as I wish Wheel and Andy would,,,,,

Than Tell me how your remarks fit in.

I Lv getting you all wound up and spitting it out,,,,
( and trying to make you buy beer,lol)
That's what makes the Class,,,

Joe T ( hey maybe the T is for TROLL, Who Cares)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Sanda View Post
Ted,

You are a troll, by definition. You cherry pick, twist words, argue even in the face of facts, make false statements designed to elicit angry responses, etc.

You asked how many asac members have tire deals, and implied that we all did, and those deals were bribes we all accepted to willingly allow hoosier to be the dominant tire in the class.

You also implied that we are all dishonest, and part of a conspiracy to keep "our" cars and programs at the front of the field, at the expense of the "little guy".

I told you how many asac members had tire deals. Did you apologize for insulting us all and questioning our, and my person integrity when confronted with the fact that the only tire deals belong (or belonged, not sure if Ed has one or not) to drivers who won National Championships.

I'm sorry you can't field a competitive AS car, I'm sorry you are bitter and angry about past issues, perceived or real. I'm sorry you are no longer running with SCCA, but all of those things are your personal issues, not mine.

I do this for fun. I try to always improve on track, but I know I'm never going to be a National Champion. (unless about 15 people break or crash). The day I no longer have fun is the day I stop. AS is a great class. The ASAC works hard to keep it level, and costs are pretty reasonable considering you can get into a competitive car for less than a new Spec Miata build. Having run IT, GT2 and GT3, and FP, I can comfortably say that I am enjoying AS under the current rule set.

But, since you are a classic internet troll, all you are going to do is pull things out of this to twist and attack about. But, maybe not. Hopefully you will surprise me.

Scott