Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Main American Sedan Categories > American Sedan Rules

Old 05-12-2019, 10:38 AM

Default June 2019 Prelim Tech Bulletin, My Response to Leter 25885

This is the letter I just submitted to the CRB/ASAC about this weight change for the Fox Body:

So, where is the data to support this change? The recent Blackhawk Farms race has a new AS record for Brian Long, in his Fox Body at the 3250 weight. In addition, observation posted by Scott Sanda on asedan.net, indicates that the car is a very well developed chassis and that class leaders probably would not have been as fast.

Please reconsider this change until you have valid data to support it.

Thank you, Pam Richardson

Weight was changed from 3250 to 3150, effective June 1. If you have an opinion either way, I recommend submitting a letter. Pam
Old 05-12-2019, 08:33 PM

Maybe Brian is just a fast driver. Did anyone think of that? Just assume he has an advantage? There's other cars with more advantage IMO. Cadillac and 4th gen RP Camaro come to mind.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:22 PM

And how many track records does a Fox Mustang have? Any car with a track record gets penalized? Different platforms do well at different types of tracks. This is not a new concept.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:26 AM

Default Balance of Performance

Matt --

Competition adjustments are not penalties. When you combine a fast driver with a well prepared platform, you find out what that combination can do. That combination enables BOP, in that, it shows what the very best of a platform is capable of. BOP is intended to balance among the platforms so that one or two do not become outliers in the class.

It would be remiss to approve a BOP based on only half of that combination. Such as, a less than fully prepared platform, or a driver still working on the up curve.

Such BOP adjustments, at least when I was involved, HAD to be based on data. That is why I asked what data was used for this decision, since, we have seen very little of this car/driver combo since the last BOP adjustment.

Now, having said all of that from the past, I can not speak to the now or the future of how BOP adjustments are made.

If you think there are cars that our currently outliers, write letters to the CRB/ASAC requesting a review of data.

Pam
Old 05-13-2019, 05:01 PM

Matt,

Hell yes he is a fast driver. That is 50% of the point. There are 2 fox's that are that developed. His, and Ed's. Both with guys who could jump into a different equally developed type of car, and also be bleeding fast. Hell, Ed did that with Chris P's car at Road America. He ran runoffs front runner qual times in a car not set up to suit his driving.

However, it was a VERY well built and prepped car.

That is the other 50%. The developed level of the car. My car is arguably the most trick of the V's. Drew, had he been in it, might have won last year. But then again, his car is also very, very developed, and he was outran by 2 different FP cars. Drew is a 1%er. When John Buttermore Jr, with multiple National Championships, says that "Drew is faster than I ever was" you can be pretty certain of the skill level.

Your car is not a 1%er. Just like I am far from a 1%er, skill wise. You need both to turn the types of times Brian did.

A number of people choose to believe we added the 100 pounds "just to keep Andy and John up front". That insults me. We had data. We compared the data. (We didn't do the scrubbing, it was overlaid and scrubbed by the National data tech). We based decisions on that.

Steve Ott just set a new track record at Pit in a Fox.

We, the old Adhoc, did not put in SMG. We did not give cams to already front running cars. We did not play favorites. I guess that is why the old Ad hoc was disbanded by the new, "friends and family" CRB.

Now that the 100 pounds is out, are you going to come out and run?
Old 05-13-2019, 05:24 PM

Steve Ott ran an s197 chassis at Pitt race.