Go Back   American Sedan Forum > Main American Sedan Categories > American Sedan Pics and Videos

Old 06-24-2012, 08:03 PM

Default Mark Pomdo crash at Canada corner

This is Mark Pombo crashing at Canada. This is exactly where I rolled the Firebird during qualifying at the Runoffs. I went in at 90 mph and the big heavy Firebird dug in and flipped. Mark's car skipped over the gravel. It is reported that he has several broken bones, including his jaw and shoulder blade, but I am not sure of the accuracy of those reports.

wheel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtDrm...layer_embedded
Old 06-24-2012, 09:27 PM
PatWilmot

I just had Mark in to talk to the camp kids I coach last week. Of course one of them asked what his worst crash was. At that point it was in the TDi Cup.

Mark has a broken nose, broken clavicle, and a concussion. They took him out of ICU last night and is improving but is still dizzy.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:32 PM

Pat,
Thanks for that info. Mark and Matt Pombo are huge with SM racers, and their dad Pepe is huge with anyone who knows racing. Great racing family.
wheel
Old 06-25-2012, 06:43 PM
Walther

That was scarey!!! I pray for his recovery.
It never even looked like the car tried to slow, as if it wasn't a soft pedal, but more like NO pedal. As I have never run RA (Bucket List Item #64) I wonder with the horrific crashes there in recent years if there is sufficient run-off areas. (??) I mean; the track was designed in the 1950's (??) when cars were much slower, and from what I can tell- today's cars seriuosly boogie down the long straights, which all seem to end with a 90 degree turn and a gravel trap. Wasn't it last year that a Camaro did a one-and-a-half gainer over the fence. I dunno. I suppose if racing was safe, cheap and easy, everyone would be doing it, but geez.... I had a pedal go to the floor at turn #10 at Sebring, where my AS was around 125 to 130 (??) but there was PLENTY of room to scrub the car to a stop.
Either way, I pray he is alright. I LOVE watching that series on Speed.