View Single Post
Old 01-25-2008, 11:09 AM
King Matt

You can install an SN95 rack into a Fox, but you will have to change the inner tie rods because the SN95 ones are longer and have metric threads for the outer tie rods. Ford did not change the thread on the end of the inner rack, so the tie rod assemblies are interchangeable. I have an SN95 rack in my 84 Mustang with Fox inner tie rods. You could also cut the SN95 inners short, but it's much easier to convert to Fox parts so you can carry spares you don't need to modify. You will also need to adapt the steering shaft, because the coupler patterns are different on the rack. There are aftermarket parts that make this easy from Maximum Motorsports, but I'm not sure if that part is legal in AS. If not, you would need to cut and weld. The power steering pump and fittings fit onto the newer rack. I'm still running my car's original PS pump, although it just started leaking at the end of last season, so it's probably time to R&R that!

The longer SN95 A arms are also interchangeable, but I don't think that is a legal interchange in AS. Too bad, because it's the easiest way to get a ton of negative camber on a Fox. You can make an SN95 K-member fit in a Fox for certain. You may have to slot some holes, but the basic dimensions are the same. Most of the aftermarket K members fit 79-95.

My car, which I run in NASA CMC, has a stock K-member, but everything else in the steering and suspension (spindles, brakes, vacuum booster, rack, struts, A-arms, and balljoints) is from an SN95.